bird dog mag

evantraylor

bird dog mag

Post by evantraylor » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:06 pm

does anyone on here subscribe to bird dog magazine? i was thinking about subscribing, but it seemed like alot of money for the amount of issues and how many issues are published per year. any input?

bossman

Re: bird dog mag

Post by bossman » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:32 pm

I subscribe to two. My favorite is Pointing Dog Journal. I also enjoy Gun Dog Magazine. As a member of the GSPC of America, I also receive the Shorthair Journal. I find that especially during the "off season" they help bring back memories of past seasons and help me plan for the next. Money well spent imo. Others may have some good information, but too much advertising.

southernblues

Post by southernblues » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:43 pm

I would be interested in a Brittany bird dog magazine if anyone knows of one..

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:05 am

I had a subscription to Gun Dog Magazine. The only thing that sucks is you have to wait 3 months before you get your first issue and then you get 2 back issues. They do a double issue in November, December, January but unfortunately I never got mine and that was the best issue of the year but they did extend my subscription for an additional 2 issues. They were worth the money I spent on the subscription but now I do not have the time to read them so I let the subscription lapse. Fantastic magazine though.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:37 am

I have never heard of "Bird Dog Magazine" until now they need somemore info on their website.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:42 am

southernblues wrote:I would be interested in a Brittany bird dog magazine if anyone knows of one

The American Brittany . Mostly reports of competitions such as field trials, shows ,etc. It does have articles every month . such as training,nutrition ,etc. Also advertisements for dogs and trainer ads. If you are interested let me know your location. You can join a local Brittany club for the same price as the magazine subscription and the magazine is included in your membership. The clubs vary depending on membership activity. They usually offer picnics, training sessions, Christmas party .You meet people near you that have the same breed interest. Easy to find a hunting buddy or training partner that way. Membership is either 25 or 35 per year.

ditchparrot19

Post by ditchparrot19 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:56 pm

I get both Pointing Dog Journal and Gun Dog and like them both.
"If a man can't find something to like about almost any dog – especially his own – there's probably something wrong with the man." Gene Hill

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:34 pm

I'm not so sure it is about Bird Dogs. From their site:
A journal of innovative writing and art: collaborations, interviews, collages, poetry, poetics, long poems, reviews, graphs, charts, prose poems, non-fiction, cross genre...

Submissions for Issue 11 should be received by September 15, 2009.

Submissions, Subscriptions, Queries:

Bird Dog
PO Box 85687
Seattle, WA 98145-1687

Birddoginfo@yahoo.com (please no email submissions)

Please enclose SASE for return of work

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:37 pm

This is a mag that is worth the money if you are into bird dogs and stories about them:
http://www.fieldtrialmagazine.com/

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:20 am

I wish that Grant and some of the members of this forum would collaborate and put out some type of monthly magazine. As many intelligent dog people, breeders, trialers, hunters and trainers as are members, I think it would be very informative and I know that I would subscribe to it.

mm

Post by mm » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:42 am

I get the Pointing Dog Journal and Gun Dog Mag. and in the begining I enjoyed them but I have found that it is basicly the same stories over and over but the pictures are nice. I mean how many stories can you do on e collars or the hunting stories of guys hunting like most of us will never hunt. The real end for me was when GD mag reviewed dog beds, I mean come on now how much is there to know about dog beds. If you read these mags for a year or so you have read them all in my opinion. I would like to see this web site branch out with a mag as I find it to be way more informitave. On this site real people talk about real hunting they have done. The people who post on here have a lot on knowalage and are from all over the country and are at all levels of skill. I also think a lot of the pictures here are better. Also on here the reader gets to interact with the writer and ask questions and get answers all right away. Nothing beats the internet when it comes to information and it will soon put a lot of the print mags out of business. This is just my opinion.
mm