Interest level in a new SW KS Hunt Test

wfkgsps

Interest level in a new SW KS Hunt Test

Post by wfkgsps » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:23 pm

If you live in SW Kansas, SE Colorado, NE New Mexico, or the Oklahoma and Texas Panhandles, you know the closest Hunt Tests are typically 4+ hours away. However, I just received a flyer from the Garden City (KS) Kennel Club and they are looking for interested parties to host, volunteer, and attend a new Hunt Test in SW Kansas. They have petitioned AKC and are in the process of determining the level of interest and level of experience of the GC Kennel Club right now. If there is a large number of interested parties, they will proceed and try to have their first "match" this fall to coincide with the Sunflower GSP Hunt Test in Yoder, KS. If there is no interest, this project will not get off the ground.

Mr. Kent Shaw is spearheading this task and he has advertised in the local media outlets, but I told him this forum (and others like it) would reach a better audience. So...if you are:
1. Interested in attending a new Hunt test in your area
2. Willing to Volunteer as a bird planter, gunner, helper
3. Able to be an AKC Hunt test Judge

Please contact Mr. Shaw @ hunttest@pld.com or call (620)275-2425

BTW - The Garden City Kennel Club is offering FREE membership for one year if you are willing to help in this endeavor! Please pass this info on to any party that you think might use it.

I'll try and answer any informal questions you may have!

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Re: Interest level in a new SW KS Hunt Test

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:37 pm

I live in the Oklahoma Panhandle and while my dogs are only wild bird dogs I would be interested in volunteering to help with the event. I live a couple of hours from Garden. If you could let me know how things are progressing and give me a definite date so that I could get that time off work, I am certainly available. I have never been to a hunt test much less participated in one because of the distance to drive to them from here but I would definitely like to help.

Tom

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:58 pm

I'm interested- heck- does the club have water- awfully dry here in SW kansas- hunt tests- meaning water and land work :D

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:47 pm

interested, the Yoder test fills up pretty quick

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:02 pm

Hey wfkgsps - keep me updated as I just heard about this last week.

Nitrex

wfkgsps

Post by wfkgsps » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:10 am

tommyboy72 wrote:I live a couple of hours from Garden. If you could let me know how things are progressing and give me a definite date so that I could get that time off work, I am certainly available.
Shadow wrote:I'm interested-
muddycreek wrote:interested, the Yoder test fills up pretty quick
Make sure you contact Kent Shaw at one of the addresses in my original post, or pm me with your name and address and I'll pass it on to him. Right now, everything is preliminary...there isn't a definite date. Kent needs to know there is an interest and he needs to have volunteers to contact. It seems that GC Kennel Club has land and resources, but does not have experienced hunt test/trial membership. That is why they are openning up free membership to interested parties in surrounding areas, they need help.

Thanks

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:21 am

tommyboy72 wrote:I live in the Oklahoma Panhandle and while my dogs are only wild bird dogs I would be interested in volunteering to help with the event. I live a couple of hours from Garden. If you could let me know how things are progressing and give me a definite date so that I could get that time off work, I am certainly available. I have never been to a hunt test much less participated in one because of the distance to drive to them from here but I would definitely like to help.

Tom

Hunt test do not interfere with bird hunting of any kind, wild or not. JH is a test of natural ability and the SH and MH are tests of your training. They are a great way to spend time with dogs and friends and to test how your dog is doing. The pointing dog tests do not include any water work. The retriever test do. Wish I was closer.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Chief_dog

Post by Chief_dog » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:12 am

Even though I don't run my dogs in hunt tests, I'd be willing to pitch in and lend a hand. If they are successful putting on a hunt test, it might lead to more field trials in our area.

Hey Tom. If you want to see an AKC hunt test close by, the TPPBDC will be having another one in Amarillo this fall, as well as another field trial.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:56 am

Dave give me a call when that Amarillo trial or test come up and let me know so I can make arrangements to go whenever you find out when it is going to happen.

wfkgsps

Post by wfkgsps » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:17 pm

I have an unfortunate update regarding this proposition...
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2009 1:10 PM
Subject: Your Follow-up Question

Mr. Shaw, I have been in contact with our Performance Events Department. I was wrong; an all-breed club is not eligible to hold field trials. Please advise your members of this. I apologize for any inconvenience my mis-information has caused.
Thanks

Michael A. Liosis
AKC/Director of Club Relations
260 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10016
(212) 696-8237

Anyway, FWIW - Thanks for all the support.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:28 pm

I was wondering when they had changed that.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:38 pm

No field trials or no field events at all including hunt tests?

Dave Quindt

Post by Dave Quindt » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:00 pm

wfkgsps wrote:I have an unfortunate update regarding this proposition...
Sent: Monday, June 29, 2009 1:10 PM
Subject: Your Follow-up Question

Mr. Shaw, I have been in contact with our Performance Events Department. I was wrong; an all-breed club is not eligible to hold field trials. Please advise your members of this. I apologize for any inconvenience my mis-information has caused.
Thanks

Michael A. Liosis
AKC/Director of Club Relations
260 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10016
(212) 696-8237

Anyway, FWIW - Thanks for all the support.
In all honesty, that's a blessing in disguise. You're always better being a standalone club than some offshoot of a kennel (show) club.

Now, you guys have to band together and form an AKC hunting dog club, which is able to hold hunt test and field trials. The best part of a generic hunting dog club is that you avoid all of the breed club politics, and you can clearly state in your charter that you won't get involved in non-sporting events. There is no show vs field vs obedience vs agility conflicts to deal with.

So.........

One of you in SW Kansas need to get ahold of Michael A. Liosis at the AKC and get the info on how to form a hunting dog club. I believe you'll need 20 members plus a set of directors. Keep the folks at the Garden City Kennel Club in the loop, as it seems they already have grounds. You can also use their members to fill your club roster, I believe.

Here's a great opportunity to form a club that could ultimately hold 4 hunt test days and 3 field trials a year, if the membership so desires.

FWIW,
Dave