Boots 4 GSP?

reba

Boots 4 GSP?

Post by reba » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:06 am

I will be hunting Chukar with a young GSP this winter.

The terrain is very rough with lava rock.

Although my other dog (Reba the Cattle Dog) does not require foot protection she (flush & retrieve) does not cover the territory like this GSP.

Our property allows our dogs to run all day so their feet are tougher than most. I just don't want to take the chance with this young dog. He (Dutch) will be 10 months when we go on our first chukar hunt.

What boots are recommended? Do you prewrap or use vet tape in any way?

Thank you.

BTW Reba the Red Cattle Dog is the BEST flusher and retriever I've ever hunted with!

Live is good and better with dogs.

Hotpepper

Re: Boots 4 GSP?

Post by Hotpepper » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:12 pm

Most all of tthe commercial ones are ok, but get a couple of pairs of them just in case.

The best boot is a bicycle intertube, cut to the right length, folded up the back and srapped with gray tape, it works great.

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:21 pm

The first thing my dog does is rip them off.
I had a coat on my JRT one winter. The other dog picked him up by the back of the coat and off they went. I was sure his legs would be broken or worse.
A few minutes later he brought him back and dumped him at my feet as if to say, " He looks ridiculous!."

Since then I don't use any dog clothing. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

texscala

Post by texscala » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:52 pm

Bicycle innertubes and electrical tape. 6 to 10 bucks for the whole season. One thing I recommend is let the dog get used to them before the season starts that way they are ready to go when you need them.

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:08 pm

My BF works at a bike shop and has access to flat/bike useless tubes, I'll have to give this a try. My Lab has a set of Muttluks which are great.
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

Prairie Hunter

Post by Prairie Hunter » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:46 pm

Ruff Wear Bark'n Boots are the best I have ever tried. They're a little expensive, but they will last for several seasons. I have had dogs go through a pair of cordura boots in less than a day on rocky terrain. The tread on the bottom of the Bark'n Boots give good traction on rocks and snow. I put some vet wrap around the leg so it extends about 1" - 1-1/2" above the boot, then put a strip of duct tape around the top of the boot, covering the velcro strap. I extend the tape above the top of the boot, sticking it to the vet wrap, to make sure the boot doesn't come loose, and creating a seal so trash and debris doesn't get down into the boot.

http://www.altrec.com/ruff-wear/barkn-b ... r-for-dogs

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:54 pm

Prairie Hunter wrote:Ruff Wear Bark'n Boots are the best I have ever tried. They're a little expensive, but they will last for several seasons. I have had dogs go through a pair of cordura boots in less than a day on rocky terrain. The tread on the bottom of the Bark'n Boots give good traction on rocks and snow. I put some vet wrap around the leg so it extends about 1" - 1-1/2" above the boot, then put a strip of duct tape around the top of the boot, covering the velcro strap. I extend the tape above the top of the boot, sticking it to the vet wrap, to make sure the boot doesn't come loose, and creating a seal so trash and debris doesn't get down into the boot.

http://www.altrec.com/ruff-wear/barkn-b ... r-for-dogs
+1 - This is also what I use. REI will have an occasional sale on them - don't get the socks, though (useless...)

.·´¯`·... ><((((º> Tammy ·.¸. ><((((º> .·´¯`·.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

reba

Post by reba » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:06 am

Prairie,

Just to be certain:

You put the Vet Wrap on and then the boots and then the tape?

The bicycle intertube idea is also a great idea.

Thanks to all.

Reba

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:35 am

I will have to say that I live by the addage that "poor folks got poor ways". Sometimes the best is the easiest and cheapest.

Pepper
Intertube?????????????? :D
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

Prairie Hunter

Post by Prairie Hunter » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:52 am

reba wrote:Prairie,

Just to be certain:

You put the Vet Wrap on and then the boots and then the tape?

The bicycle intertube idea is also a great idea.

Thanks to all.

Reba
Reba,

You are correct. The vet wrap goes on first. You only need to wrap it about once or twice around. The vet wrap is only used to keep the duct tape from sticking to the fur on the dog's legs. I usually buy the 2" wide vet wrap. About 1" is down in the boot, and about 1" extends above the top of the boot when it is on. Then, I wrap the duct tape around the top of the boot, just down far enough to make sure it covers the velcro strap, so the strap doesn't snag on something and get pulled loose while the dog is running. The top half of the duct tape extends above the top of the boot, and sticks to the vet wrap.

If you buy these boots, make sure you measure your dog's front and back feet accurately. They run on the large side. Sometimes you dog will need a smaller size for the back feet.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:55 pm

was down here a few years ago when we ran into sand burrs- while the other guys were looking for leather and making their own- I just grabbed a couple pair of socks- cut them- used duct tape to completely cover the sock- and off we were- lasted quite well actually- comical pictures- Britt's just stood- "what the heck are we supposed to do"

I think it's better when you don't get them used to boots- you need a good laugh- :lol:

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:59 pm

texscala- awesome pictures- different looking Britt than I've ever seen- but nice for sure

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:21 am

Personally I'd say hunt him and see what ya' got first...go hunting and see how he holds up. (the exception to this would be if you are heading out for a once a year, one week trip or something where it's not worth messing up the trip in the first 1/2 hour out) Sounds like his feet are well conditioned already. Been hunting chukars over 30yrs. and rarely see a GSP requiring boots. :wink: :lol:

Dedo de` chukarios:

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:45 am

DG- good words- took my Britt's down to Texas for a three day hunt- they said the feet would never hold up- shale and those thorn things-
I didn't have boots, never dawned on me- figured if it became a problem I'd hunt one till I saw something, then use the other one

surprisingly- guess mine's pads were in the right condition-

I've got sand burrs in the yard, and out in the field, Britt's will be running three legged a bit, pull them out, or come to me- so I did get a set of boots for both of them- haven't had them on yet- but nice to know i have them if needed

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:34 am

I like these. http://www.gundogsupply.com/lewis-rubber-dog-boots.html. A friend of mine lives in Enid where the factory is and got them straight from there because he knows the owner and manufacturer.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:56 am

I used those a long time ago- a bit noisy on ice- did the job though

RBraddy

Post by RBraddy » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:39 pm

i make my own out of old intertubes and tape them on with duct tape
they work great

texscala

Post by texscala » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:39 am

Shadow wrote:texscala- awesome pictures- different looking Britt than I've ever seen- but nice for sure
She is a French Britt weighing in at 29 pounds.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:46 am

that face- so different- never seen one in real life- she looks like she can move out- I'd say you have quite the threesome there

don't know what kind of camera you have- but sharp pictures- nice country

I bought Scott Dog Boots-nylon- going to get a bike tube