Kennel references

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Kennel references

Post by birddogger » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:02 am

Has anyone done business with top gun kennels in Iowa? I am researching kennels for my next GSP puppy which is a year or so away. If anything negative, please PM me.
Thanks in advance,
Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Will

Re: Kennel references

Post by Will » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:31 am

I have bought 3 Top Gun dogs....a 2yr old and 2 pups. You'll find several board members who have done business with Steve at Top Gun and there are a surprisingly large number of his dogs here in Illinois.

Steve Ries is as stand up of a guy as you'll ever meet and deal with. If he doesn't have what your're looking for in a dog he'll tell you and make suggestions for other kennels.

Give him a call and ask him questions...tell him what you want, etc. He's a great dog guy and is very committed to the breed.

If you'd like to see some dogs, I know of at least 4 Top Gun dogs within an hour of Peoria.
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:01 am

First let me state that I do not own a TG dog, but do own pointing dogs. I have seen his dogs perform and they are outstanding! I have worked with Steve and met him a couple times and as stated above he is the most honest and upstanding individual you will find. That being the foundation of his life and kennel, I think you will not go wrong in contacting him. Be honest with him as to what you are looking for and what you plan to do with your dog. He will steer you in the correct direction...and it may be right up his driveway!

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:23 am

I ran a hunt test with Steve handling my dog's bracemate. In the end we worked the course more like a team than a competition, and finished both dogs that weekend, sharing in the congrats. That's something I'm sure anyone can appreciate.

I don't own a Top Gun dog but, from what I've seen personally, they hunt.

I'm also pretty sure Steve posts here from time to time. Maybe he'll be around to weigh in on the situation. :wink:
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:56 pm

Thanks for the replies. It is very much appreciated.

Tejas

Post by Tejas » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:33 pm

I haven't met Steve in person, but spoke with him on the phone when looking for a dog. My impression was just as previously stated. He went to some length to ascertain what I was looking for, asked all the right questions in qualifying me as an owner etc.

Although he didn't have the "started dog" I was looking to find, I knew he was a person who was unfailingly honest and straightforward.

pear

Post by pear » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:20 am

All of the above does pretty much sum it up... I don't think you can go wrong with Top Gun. ..."pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:32 pm

The owner and kennel sounds like a real class act. It will still be quite awhile before I am ready for another puppy but I wanted to start doing my research. I am also considering Walnut Hill, Keljer kennels in Nothern IL. and Dankar kennels in Wisconsin. I currently have a Shooting Starr dog from Dankar Kennels and am really pleased with him. They have a good breeding program and great to do business with. My next one may be my last puppy if my dogs have long lives and I want to take my time and stack the odds in my favor of getting something really special. I am mainly an upland bird hunter but have recently, after testing my Shooting Starr dog, became interested in and joined NAVHDA. I am also planning to enter some NSTRA trials. I love this forum because I know I can always get valuable information or advise from the knowledgeable and experienced people here.
Thanks to all,
Charlie

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:19 pm

Charlie,
You have personal experience with Dankar and I don't, so I will leave that one to you. One line stood out in your last post... stack the odds in my favor of getting something really special based on that if it were my choice I think you have two OUTSTANDING kennels and more important...people in Top Gun and Walnut Hills. Steve and Brenda or Rick are the tops!

kumate

Post by kumate » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:37 am

I have spoken with Brenda she is a very nice Lady and even though i am not a bird hunter she was going to sell me a pup. I am very happy with my pup i purchased from Gary at Westwind. He is very knowledgable about the breed and breeding and if you tell him what you want he will try to give it to you. You will not get any pictures of the pups to choose etc, at first that was kinda a hard one to get over for me, but in the end i couldnt be happier. He will answer questions etc, but does not have very much patience for tire kickers. Good Luck

Jerry

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:02 am

Jerry, since you don't hunt I'm assuming that you just trial. So my question is how is your Westwind pup doing in the trials, and what kind of venue do you run him in? I would guess NAVDA or AKC. I hope I'm not coming off the wrong way, I'm just giving you the green light to brag up your dog and promote Westwind. Who knows, you might even get a commision on this sale.

Take care
Ron
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

kumate

Post by kumate » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:53 am

I only have a leg of his JH at 7 mo. I am doing alittle agility but dogs cannot compete in akc until 15mt and 18mo in other organizations. I joined a local retriever club to have some fun with my dog. It is so hot at present i am doing goo to run him if it is raining or swim him in the pool. I doubt there will be any commision. :cry:

Jerry

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:12 am

Thanks Jerry, sounds like you have a good one to me. SUMMERTIME SUXXX, COMMON FALL.

Ron
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:10 am

My avatar dog is Top Gun and Westwind breeding. For our first gsp, she has been easy to work with...and got us hooked. Staunch pointer as a pup. Likes to boogie in the field, adjusts range to cover nicely, and checks back in on her own. Has a retrieve-until-your-arm-falls-off attitude. Can't keep her out of water. HIGH bird drive. Loves all dogs and all people. This dog loves to train. As a pup, she would go out and sleep on the whoa table if we left the garage door open. I guess I'll just say we've been tickled pink with her. I didn't buy her directly from Top Gun, but she is from a repeat litter they originally made. I introduced myself to Steve 1x, and ever since he's made sure to say hi and ask how things are going. Seems like a super nice guy who's genuinely interested in seeing his buyers, and owners of his lines, do well.

For my next gsp, Brandi--I went with Walnut Hills. I love Hustler lines and they came highly recommended, not to mention how proven their dogs are. Rick and Brenda are terrific folks. Brandi is a little over 9 weeks now. I've given her a quail 2x now, and she is nuts about any bird you put in front of her. I've seen her honor my older dog out on pasture walks. And have her outside for 5 minutes and you'll see her nose work, as she cranks her nose up and trots off 20 yards, after something she shouldn't get into--like horse manure. :twisted:

I think I'm going to have a dynamic duo here, and that you couldn't go wrong with either kennel or their lines. I am not familiar with Dankar, but if you are happy with your dog now--I think being a repeat buyer is a good bet too. :mrgreen: There are a lot of nice dogs/breeders/breedings to choose from out there. Good luck and keep us posted. Denise

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:42 pm

Yeah, it will be a tough choice when the time comes. Terrible situation to be in isn't it? :D
Charlie