fly rod and reel recs

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

fly rod and reel recs

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:02 pm

I know this is a hunting board but I am sure there are some fisherman in here. Any advice on buying a fly rod and reel for a beginner?

5-6 weight? Brand?

sal

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Re: fly rod and reel recs

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:38 pm

Where are you going to fish and what kind of fish are you going to use it for? In the old days (a couple of decades ago) a 6 weight was thought to be the right rod for larger western trout rivers, and the 5 for smaller streams. Now the smaller weight rods and lines are so good that everyone seems to favor the 5 for larger rivers/longer casts, and the 4 and even the 3 weights for smaller streams. It is possible to get rods down to a 0 weight. My experience with the 3 is that it starts to get pretty difficult to get out a cast of any significant distance, say 45', with the smaller line weights. I like the 4's and 5's myself, but if you are on a tiny midwestern brush covered stream casting small flies, the smaller lines would be an advantage. Any river where you would fish out of a boat I would say go with a 5.

As to length, I have some shorter rods in the 7 1/2' range. The theory is that you can sneak a line under the brush canopy on smaller rivers. That is just wrong and really doesn't work. Get any length you want as long as it is 9'.

Now if you like good fly fishing, like for bonefish, that would be an 8 weight, 9' and a reel that will hold at least 200 yards of backing. If snook or redfish are your game, you may want a 9 weight, 9', and you can go with a little less backing, say 150 yards. The same 9 weight, 9' is great for silver salmon in AK, and an 8 weight will do alright there also. With these larger fish you need to think about what you are doing to the fish. With silver salmon, for example, I have noticed that a 9 weight may be a little heavier and less of a pleasure to fish with in a long day of fishing, but you whip the fish faster and put them back in the river with a lot of life left, where with a smaller rod you will exhaust the fish and it may not survive. I have fished bonefish with 6's and even 5's, and occasionally still do under very still water conditions, but there again you can hurt the fish with rods that small.

I am probably too picky when it comes to the quality of the rod. I have tried alot of the "lower price point" rods, and just don't much like the feel of any of them. They are all quite heavy. I like the high grade graphite Loomis rods (GLX) and have friends who swear by the high grade Sage's (Z Axis). I have a friend who fishes Orvis rods alot and likes them, but he is an Orvis guide so gets a discount. For me, the Orvis rods are too high priced and not better than Loomis or Sage. Rods of this quality are pricey, are a pleasure to cast, and will last you a lifetime.

remmy

Post by remmy » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:31 pm

As John said...it all depends where you plan on fishing and what you plan on fishing. Sage rods are probably the best if you want to spend that kind of money. Loomis would be my next choice. I too, am not a big Orvis fan. I have a nice Diamondback which I love. I first started out with a Cortland 4 wt 7 1/2 ft which I still use today on smaller streams. I use the Diamondback for the larger rivers. It is a 5 wt 8 1/2 ft rod. My fishing is strictly trout.

If you do not want to spend a lot of money go with the Cortland but I will tell you you will feel a big difference when you start using a more expensive and higher quality rod. Spend the money and buy yourself a quality rod.
6xCH, 2xRU CH FC Alpenblick's Southern Bell

NGSPA CH, FC Cruzin's Probable Cause "Mac"

3xCH, NGPDA NC, FC Cruzin's Rocket Queen "Roxy"

Pineland's Streak "Sadie"

Cruzin's Moneymaker "Penny"

Cruzin Kennels on Facebook

Cruzin Kennels ~ http://www.cruzinkennels.com/

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:39 pm

i was thinking this one to start

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... &cat4=2136

would be used for trout, i get out to the rockies several times a year, and I might be able to use that one for smaller striped bass in NJ.

sal

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:39 pm

I agree with Wagonmaster, it depends on what you are fishing for and where. Probably, in my mind, the best way to start is with a 5 or 6 wt 8 1/2 ft mid priced combo outfit. It will come with rod, reel, one line and backing. I would suggest a weight forward floating line if you have never flyfished before. They are easier to pick up off the water and cast. Cabela's, Scientific Angler and Cortland all make good mid price combo outfits. This outfit should cover everything from small pond brim and bass fishing to medium size river trout fishing. For large lake and river fishing for large bass, light saltwater and steelhead I would notch it up to a 7 weight oufit. Good luck and don't throw away any feathers from bird hunting because fly tying will be the next bug to bite you if you enjoy fly fishing. :P

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:36 pm

Wagonmaster gave you some excellent advice, but since you provided a link to what you are looking at I'll add my 1/50 of $1. Let me preface this by saying this is strictly my OPINION....I have been flyfishing for everything from tiny brook trout here in CO on streams I could jump across to silver salmon in Alaska on streams 100 yds from the saltwater. Up until I got into bird dogs a few years ago, I was spending 50-60 days out flyfishing, so these thoughts are very much based around my experience....YMMV....

I would shy away from any rod that is a X-Y weight fly rod (such as the LL Bean 5-6wt that you reference). To me, this is a warning flag of a cheaply made rod....I have had rods like this that were perfectly fine for a beginner and then I've had some kludges! I would also shy away from any rod with a medium action, a medium-fast action is much more forgiving in the wind (which is a daily annoyance to a beginner here in the west). The "stiffer" rod also allows for a better mend, which is very important to getting a "dead drift"....very important for nymph fishing (predominate fishing for trout). This is also helped by having a longer rod as well...as WM said, get any length you want as long as it is 9'! The downside to the faster rod is that it may be a bit harder for a beginner to "feel" the loading of the rod. To some degree this can be overcome by "overlining" the rod.....like using a 6wt line on a 5wt rod. I would also stick with a "name" brand....Sage, Scott, Loomis, etc....they tend to put the research into the rods and many have lifetime "no fault" warranties and several have "budget" models. The one most important piece of advice though....don't buy a flyrod without casting it. Any flyrod outlet worth their weight in stream gravel will let you cast a rod before buying it. Even if you are a beginner, don't be shy about asking to cast it.....you're going to have to do it eventually anyway, and they've seen worse casters than you could ever be (and can probably even offer some advice)! Everyone's casting stroke is a little bit different and everyone casts better with some rods than others....you need to find your "sweet spot".

As for reels...generally in trout fishing the reel just holds line and keeps it out from under foot so about anything will work...of course there are exceptions to this rule which is why most of us fish with high dollar reels with fancy drags (at least that is what we tell ourselves). For stripers, you may really need a reel with a good disc drag. Regardless, this is someplace I certainly wouldn't skimp....I saw a guy's silver salmon fishing trip almost come to an end because he bought a couple of cheap reels and the silvers ate him alive! I personally won't own anything but Ross reels. I have come to depend on them, never had a problem with them, but if I do I know they have a bullet-proof warranty. The can be had very reasonably on eBay. I don't have any "stock" in Ross, but from experience I know they just "work".....fish 'em hard, bring 'em home and dunk 'em in the sink to wash 'em out, dry 'em off and they are ready to go!!!

Randy

remmy

Post by remmy » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:33 pm

For the price of that combo you can get a lower priced Sage or Winston, Loomis. Of course, you still need to buy a reel, line, etc. which will bring the price up but you will be better off IMO. Are you from NJ? Also, will you be fishing for lake stripers or stripers in the ocean?
6xCH, 2xRU CH FC Alpenblick's Southern Bell

NGSPA CH, FC Cruzin's Probable Cause "Mac"

3xCH, NGPDA NC, FC Cruzin's Rocket Queen "Roxy"

Pineland's Streak "Sadie"

Cruzin's Moneymaker "Penny"

Cruzin Kennels on Facebook

Cruzin Kennels ~ http://www.cruzinkennels.com/

MTBirdHunter

Post by MTBirdHunter » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:50 pm

I give all of my clients the most basic Temple Fork rods to start out with. Run a Ross or Lamson Reel below. I think that TFO rods are decent in quality but, the nice thing is they are cheap, TFO has great customer service, ie. clients break about ten rods a year and I have yet to pay a dime on one of the breaks and they usually replace it with a brand new rod. Turn around time on the break is about two weeks which out does Sage, four to five months. Also TFO are very forgiving whereas Sage and Loomis, while they are nice, are not. They are very stiff and very fast, something that can inhibit a beginning caster. And with the price tag of one hundred to one hundred twenty or so, if you dont like the sport you are not out an arm and a leg. And if you do like it, my friends at Winston will sell you the greatest rod made, next to upper end Powell's of course :D

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:54 pm

Ocean stripers but I am close to two several brackish/salt rivers where the little guys hang out. I have spinning gear for fishing the NJ monsters in the ocean and bays.

The fly rod would also be fun catching small bluefish in the rivers.

sal

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:00 pm

ok so which ross reel and which temple fork rod?

sal

thanks a bunch guys, really!!!!

blunior

Post by blunior » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:08 pm

I would buy at the least a 9' or 9'6 7 weight rod for bay or surf fishing . I grew up back east and fished salt and the Susky in PA alot and used 8 and 9 weight rods for two reasons.
Big flies and less false casts
Call Bob at Clousers in Harrisburg he will set you up with a nice system that will be priced right and work .
Thanks
Blunior

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:32 pm

mcbosco wrote:ok so which ross reel and which temple fork rod?

sal

thanks a bunch guys, really!!!!
You wouldn't go wrong with those choices but, I think there might be more suitable gear for salt water, check out Okuma reels. From what I've seen they are a great reel for the money.
Also, don't think you have to buy new. The great thing about rods and reels is that if you know what you're looking for, you can be pretty sure about what's being offered (as in brand and model). Once you decide on what you want, check out what's available on e-bay and craig's list. I have gotten great deals on both!
The important thing is to buy something and get started cuz, you could spend the rest of your life looking for "just the right rod and reel".
p.s. the more you know the harder it gets! :roll:

shotguns, pointing dogs, and fly fishing. Does it get any better? :P

Rather hunt without a gun than without a dog!
dennmor
Rather hunt without a gun than without a dog!

Image Image Image

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:00 am

you got that right, taking my spinone to the river today to fish for some fluke and he can point water fowl while i get something to eat, maybe.

sal

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:01 am

PrairieGoat wrote:Wagonmaster gave you some excellent advice, but since you provided a link to what you are looking at I'll add my 1/50 of $1. Let me preface this by saying this is strictly my OPINION....I have been flyfishing for everything from tiny brook trout here in CO on streams I could jump across to silver salmon in Alaska on streams 100 yds from the saltwater. Up until I got into bird dogs a few years ago, I was spending 50-60 days out flyfishing, so these thoughts are very much based around my experience....YMMV....
Randy
Hey Randy - come on back up & try your hand with the fishing in Alaska. They keep getting bigger. We just got back today from the Copper River in Alaska ... didn't use rod n' reel, but did use a trusty dipnet. Over 100 Sockeye (Red) Salmon & 6 Giant King Salmon we hauled in. What a day....

ImageImage
.·´¯`·... ><((((º> Tammy ·.¸. ><((((º> .·´¯`·.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:58 am

nice fish...wowo

PrairieGoat

Post by PrairieGoat » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:58 pm

Killer Instinct wrote:Hey Randy - come on back up & try your hand with the fishing in Alaska. They keep getting bigger. We just got back today from the Copper River in Alaska ... didn't use rod n' reel, but did use a trusty dipnet. Over 100 Sockeye (Red) Salmon & 6 Giant King Salmon we hauled in. What a day....

ImageImage
Now that's a catch!!! I have been itching to tie into some of silvers again; for me they are at the apex of flyfishing....unfortunately superceded by a grouse trip to SD this year, but next year I'm thinkin' may be a fish year!!!

Randy