How Awsome Are GOOD Hunting Preserves

Ron R

How Awsome Are GOOD Hunting Preserves

Post by Ron R » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:52 am

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm so looking forward to Sept. 1st. Get back to hunting with friends and doing some trialing. Fishing just does'nt do it for me and neither does shooting trap. I don't understand why some people don't take advantage of preserves as long as they are affordable. I know that some are way over priced. We have one here that is $350 for 1/2 day or the one's that charge per package per gun. I have a problem with somebody telling me how much I need to spend to be welcome there. I'm talking about the one's where you and a buddy or two can buy 5 or 10 quail apiece for $5 or $6 per bird and not be rushed.

I'm looking forard to hearing everyone's thoughts,

Ron
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

zzweims

Re: How Awsome Are GOOD Hunting Preserves

Post by zzweims » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:12 am

I know a ton of reasonable places to hunt. It's called Public Land :lol: Actually, some of it is quite decent if you do plenty of off season scouting and don't mind sharing the season with deer hunters, horseback riders and the occasional girl scout troop. It will cost you nothing more than a WMA permit ($20?) for the entire season. But for GOOD private land where you can have an AWESOME bird hunt, you will need to pay. To manage for quail, that land owners spends $10K and up (some over $100k) every year just to maintain and keep wild birds. He's got to recoup his costs. Some guy taking up space for only $50 or so, isn't worth it for the land owner to get out of bed. And tie up his fields, when others are willing to pay more.

Our day rates start at $150 and go up from there, depending on if you use our dogs, guides, horses, buggies, food, lodging, etc. The best deal by far is to find a place that offers annual memberships. Many preserves don't advertise their memberships --if they offer them at all--because they prefer to book day and corporate hunts which bring in more money. Find a preserve you like, and ask if they have memberships.

Our memberships are $750 a year per family (member, spouse, kids under 20) plus two free guests on 1000 acres managed just for quail. No charge for wild or early release. Pen birds available on site for $6 each. We can make that much on just one corporate hunt, so we keep the memberships to a minimum. And sell them BEFORE the season starts. Once quail season opens, we shift our focus to day and corporate hunts.

Aline
http://zzfarms.com
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:30 pm

Here in IL., we don't have the privelage of much public land to hunt. Wild bird hunting is scarce, unlike it was in the 60's and 70's. That is why I am looking into other venues to run my dogs. Having said that, My friends and I are fortunate enough to have a couple of preserves close to home that cater to the average Joe six pack where we can afford to run our dogs every weekend, unlike some of the corporate people who may schedule a hunt once or twice a year. I am not knocking nor do I have anything against the wealthy. I am just saying that the average passionate bird dog enthusiast cannot frequent the same places as the corporate people, whether it be hunting preserves or country clubs, nor do we want to. 8)
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Prairie Hunter

Post by Prairie Hunter » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:39 am

When I lived in MI, I used to hunt Farmland Pheasant sometimes. I haven’t been there for a while, but at the time, the membership fee wasn’t too expensive. They leased 25 – 30 farms that you signed up to hunt. The thing I liked about it most was that you got the use of the farm for the entire day. It made for an enjoyable, relaxing hunt. I like to hunt in the morning, break for lunch, then go back out later to hunt or train with the dogs. I always feel rushed on the ½ day hunts offered by most preserves.

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:48 am

I live in Illinois as well and I'm lucky enough to have some private land to hunt on, but I try not to over due my use...both to stay in good graces and to leave good bird numbers. I too utilize a couple of local preserves that are set up for the average person. One in particular is at Mulberry grove. The birds are priced per piece with no minimum and I've never been hurried or bumping shoulders with others. Some of the grounds they use are bottom grounds with little improvements so you don't feel like your on a set up hunt. I use these kind of hunts when I'm taking kids or friends and family so we're sure to get some bird work.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:55 am

postoakshorthairs wrote:One in particular is at Mulberry grove
Quail Country Hunts. I spend alot of time there. Todd and I are partners on some dogs and I do quite a bit of guiding there, dog training, and of coarse hunting with friends. I also enjoy running that old prick Jack's Elhew dogs into the ground. Do you hunt in the league? Where are you located? I'm in Wood River.

See you in September

Ron

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:04 am

Quail Country Hunts. I spend alot of time there. Todd and I are partners on some dogs and I do quite a bit of guiding there, dog training, and of coarse hunting with friends. I also enjoy running that old prick Jack's Elhew dogs into the ground. Do you hunt in the league? Where are you located? I'm in Wood River.
i'm 15 miles or so to the east of vandalia. Didn't find out about the league until the end of last year. I might this year if the schedule permits.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:38 am

Good hunting preserves ARE awesome. Bad ones are... bad. I have been to some where you don't really feel like you are preserve hunting. I have been to others where you see the guy carting out birds right before you go out, and he puts them in the same places every time... a "canned" hunt.

mm

Post by mm » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:47 pm

I am a member in a club on Long Island NY that has a preserve license. We hunt from sept 1 until march 31. Somtimes Sept is to hot so we start a little later. You get birds with your membership and you reserve a time to hunt and the place is yours. The club plants the birds for you and they have a guide with dogs if you need it. For me I have my own dog and you can hunt weekdays without planting birds and almost always find birds left over from other hunters that missed them. It has been good as I have never even used my planted birds that come with membership and the club refunded me that money. I am also allowed to use the club grounds in the off season for training and I am allowed to use my own quail for training. The only thing is the ticks get real bad in summer so I dont go. Others hunt deer and small game and ducks and the club has land upstate also and they have four houses. It was my luckey day when I found this place as it is close to home and the best on Long island which does not have much. A good set up like this is hard to find, I have looked as I am always on the lookout for new places to go. The club has openings if anyone from LI is interested.
mm

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:18 pm

postoakshorthairs wrote:I live in Illinois as well and I'm lucky enough to have some private land to hunt on, but I try not to over due my use...both to stay in good graces and to leave good bird numbers. I too utilize a couple of local preserves that are set up for the average person. One in particular is at Mulberry grove. The birds are priced per piece with no minimum and I've never been hurried or bumping shoulders with others. Some of the grounds they use are bottom grounds with little improvements so you don't feel like your on a set up hunt. I use these kind of hunts when I'm taking kids or friends and family so we're sure to get some bird work.
I also go to QUAIL COUNTRY HUNTS. Good people, good flying birds and affordable. If you get the chance you should get in on the league hunt. It is fun and adds a little competition to it. They also put on a big dinner for all the league hunters at the end of the season and announce the winners.

BTW, if you ever need a hunting partner for wild bird hunts, let me know. :mrgreen:

Charlie

versatileguy

Post by versatileguy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:28 pm

They are not awesome....they are made for those with no ambition to really be a hunter. It is like a guy who tells you he is trout fisherman and it comes to pass that he is fishing at the trout pond that is pay by the inch.

It is no different than going to the local chicken farmers and shooting his chickens. It is sickening and gives hunting a bad name.

Gamefarms and preserves are for pretenders and posers.... :roll:

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:14 am

versatileguy wrote:They are not awesome....they are made for those with no ambition to really be a hunter. It is like a guy who tells you he is trout fisherman and it comes to pass that he is fishing at the trout pond that is pay by the inch.

It is no different than going to the local chicken farmers and shooting his chickens. It is sickening and gives hunting a bad name.

Gamefarms and preserves are for pretenders and posers.... :roll:
I HAVE BEEN A REAL HUNTER SINCE I WAS 10 YRS OLD. I WAS HUNTING WHEN HUNTING WAS REAL. WHAT IS SICKENING IS PEOPLE LIKE YOU! IT SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOU ARE NOT A HUNTER AND CERTAINLY NOT A SPORTSMAN. I AM GLAD THAT I AM A BIRD DOG MAN AND HUNTER AND NOT A BLEEPING IDIOT!!!!!!

CHARLIE

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:16 am

They are not awesome....they are made for those with no ambition to really be a hunter. It is like a guy who tells you he is trout fisherman and it comes to pass that he is fishing at the trout pond that is pay by the inch.

Gamefarms and preserves are for pretenders and posers....
aint many wild birds left in NJ where I am from, so preserves or Gamefarms or released birds on WMA's is the main game in this neck of the woods there is some wild woodcock and every once in while you can hit a wild covey of bobwhite but even when I find them wild quail I hate to actually shoot them as they are so rare to find any more dont like to diminish their numbers....

I never heard of anyone considering game/preserves hunters as pretenders or posers and from that statement I would have to guess you never actually been to one to even see what its about. I am envyous of you though you must have a lot of wild birds in the area of the country you live to make that kind of statement and be a real hunter that you are. They " preserves" are very enjoyable though and here their season starts long before the regular hunting season so its a great way to get the dogs in shape and hunting before the real season begins, their seasons also goes longer than the regular hunting season so you can continue hunting into april if you wish.. great way to extend the season..but most around here are expensive. only wish this poser could find one that had those kind of rates
I'm talking about the one's where you and a buddy or two can buy 5 or 10 quail apiece for $5 or $6 per bird and not be rushed.
if I did I would live there when Not at work as this poser loves to hunt :lol: ....
know of any good chicken farms :lol: I eat chicken too.. :wink:

versatileguy you a member of peta by any chance? 8)

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:08 am

briarpatch, that is what we pay for them and we can hunt all day if we want. Wish you were close, we could go there and pose as hunters. :twisted:

About the PETA comment, I was wondering that myself.

versatileguy

Post by versatileguy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:40 am

What a bunch of sad sacks....you guys justify that you are "hunters" and yet you hunt "birds" that were released from a cage 20 minutes before you go out and blast them? How does that kind of thinking work?

And you don't see how that gives hunting a "bad" name?

You sound like the same types who carried water for Cheney after he blasted his "hunting" buddy.

If you are paying someone so you can "hunt all day" you are not hunting anything......you are merely on a timed walk.

I can hunt all day for nothing when I have done the work, gotten the spot, and received permission if necessary.

You are neither hunters or sportsmen. You are blackeyes to hunting and to those of us who really do get out and really hunt wild birds.

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:10 am

Are you guys kidding me?

Some hunters only have access to preserves. Pure and simple. Some are blessed enough to be able to hunt wild birds regularly.

Why does there always have to be this opinionated, down-the-nose attidues that one way is better than the other?

That's a great way to make an impression.

:roll: :roll:
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:44 am

I look at it this way anytime I can spend letting my dogs do what they love run and find birds I am not going to deny my dogs that opportunity..my dogs love t hunt a preserve pheasant just as much as they do a wild birds...

figure it this way some people it is preserve birds or no birds because they do not have a wild bird population or can't afford to take long trips to get to where there are birds so what they aren't supposed to get out and enjoy their dogs just because they don't have a wild bird to get out on

I am not that full of myself to be like that...I going to enjoy MY dogs when and where and How I want and I don't care what some one else thinks as I won't deny my dogs to get out and run and have fun finding birds over some ego filled way of thinking :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

mrrosey

Post by mrrosey » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:18 pm

I HUNT BOTH STATE GAME LAND AND PRESERVES IN OHIO. BOTH ARE GREAT FUN. THE PRESERVES I LIKE THE BEST HAVE GREAT FLYING BIRDS, NOT ANY DIFFERANCE THAN THE FEW WILD BIRDS THAT I FLUSH ON STATE LAND.

TO HARVEST THESE BIRDS WE KILL THEM. WE KILL CHICKENS (OR HAVE SOMEONE ELSE KILL THEM) NOT REALLY MUCH DIFFERENCE TO THE BIRD. I FAIL TO SEE THE BLACK EYE ISSUE.

TRULEY WILD BIRDS ON NATUAL LAND ARE ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND. FARM LAND WITH UNNATUAL CROPS OR CRP OR MOWED COVERS ARE SEMIPRESERVED.
SOME PEOPLE LIKE POINTERS AND SOME LIKE FLUSHERS.
SOME LIKE O/U AND SOME LIKE SEMI.

SOME BELIEVE THAT DIFFERENT TASTES ARE A GOOD THING.
SOME BELIEVE ONLY THEIR WAY IS ACCEPTABLE. GUNS AREN'T NATURAL MAYBE ALL BIRDS SHOULD BE KILLED WITH HAND THROWN ROCKS.

versatileguy

Post by versatileguy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:59 pm

Well then if you can not (or are too lazy) to scope out and find wild bird areas to hunt with your dog/dogs......then maybe (more like obviously) you should not own the dog/dogs.

Your types do a disservice to those who really hunt wild birds.

Gamefarms are for pretenders and posers..............and for some brush up training. Going to preserves to blast birds is not hunting........ and those who frequent them are not hunters, inspite of the BS stories they will try to tell you about how "natural" the" hunt" was. :roll:

Preseve/gamefarms hunts=Birds in a can.....

.....for those who CAN'T. :lol: :lol: :lol: .

SD Pheasant Slayer

Post by SD Pheasant Slayer » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:19 pm

Versatile Guy - you have got to be kidding me! I really hope you someday find yourself in a difficult situation that requires you to move to somewhere where there aren't wild birds and see if it changes your tune. What do you propose those individuals that don't have wild birds do??? Hang it up and find a new hobby? Move to South Dakota (I really really hope not - too many out-of-staters as is :D )? Perhaps they could move into your guest room - I'm sure you'd put them up, being such a great "sportsmen". Seriously... attitudes like your's don't help anyone - they just divide a group of people that love to do the same thing. I killed seventy some "wild" roosters last year (nearly all on public land in SoDak and NE) and still found it a blast to go on a preserve hunt with my little brother in late March. That's a day that I'll always remember (he paid for me as a groomsmen gift - I was his bestman a couple weeks ago) as a great time with my dogs and little brother. I'm really sorry that I gave you and your "sportsmen" friends a "black-eye" by taking advantage of an opportunity to go hunting in the only capacity I could. I'm literally blown away by your ignorance... I just can't believe you actually wrote that stuff. Feel how you want but keep your mouth shut until it directly applies to you. In SoDak we have over 100,000 out of staters come into the state every year. Of these, nearly half will come with brand new Filson everything and a new O/U they'll never shoot again. When we bump into these guys we'll laugh and shake our heads in awe, but at the end of the day, we'll help them out anyway we can in finding birds or ground to hunt. So they don't have the opportunity to do this 5 days a week like we do - doesn't change the fact that they're there because they enjoy it everybit as much as us. To be honest, I really think you need to rethink your definition of sportsmen. Out here, a sportsmen is someone that respects the game AND OTHER HUNTERS - not someone that looks down at them because they don't always kill "wild birds". We have a whole different term for people like you, and I assure you, its reserved for only the most deserving of individuals. Bring yourself and your dogs out here and I'd venture a pretty penny there are a lot of "those who can't" that will hunt you under the table.
Almost Heaven's Daddy's Paycheck - "Cash"

"In the end, our society will be defined not by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy."
- John Sawhill

Buckeye_V

Post by Buckeye_V » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:28 pm

We are obviously way inferior to versatile guy. Way. He is obviously far superior to us. Far.

Where can I get some of that koolaid?

Justin
We have done something with nothing for so long we are now qualified to do everything with anything....

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=275

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=520

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:44 pm

Hey guys,

Don't let someone like that get under your skin. We all know that statements like that are posted for one purpose and that is to get an arguement started. I don't believe there is anyone in todays world that has opinions like he posted. But if there is, rather than argue just feel sorry for them, they need the help you can give them. Plus think about all of the opportunities for a fun day afield they are missing. But it does make it less crowded at your favorite preserve.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

versatileguy

Post by versatileguy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:52 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Hey guys,

Don't let someone like that get under your skin. We
all know that statements like that are posted for one purpose and that
is to get an arguement started. I don't believe there is anyone in
todays world that has opinions like he posted. But if there is, rather
than argue just feel sorry for them, they need the help you can give
them. Plus think about all of the opportunities for a fun day afield
they are missing. But it does make it less crowded at your favorite
preserve.

Ezzy
Less crowded at your favorite preserve.....!!!!

Too funny.

Favorite preserve?

Is that the preserve where the walker goes through the planted rows of sorgumn/corn/milo better because everything is planted in nice straight rows and in order, just like the wild places, right?!!!!. Too funny......!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you hunt, you move to where the game is, or you really don't hunt, you are lazy........and really don't want to hunt.....you want a canned adventure, and after it you sit in bar tell BS stories about how natural and wild the birds seemed!!! :roll: And my bet is you fish down at the pay buy the inch trout pond too!!! :roll:

You do hunting and hunters a disservice and should be ashamed.

Maybe golf would be a better hobby for you.

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:16 pm

VSGUY or BS GUY I should say :lol: I would love to know what kind of birds do you train you dogs on..Wild ones only..must be or otherwise you would definatly be a Poser shootin dem poor training canned birds...

What state do you live ? I may indeed need to make a move as I hunt or take walks with my dogs and carry a gun and shoot some chickens that do a heck of a impersonation of real wild pheasant as you would describe it almost everyday of the season. I retire in a few years and would love to move to a state where I never needed training birds or to extend the season that there are so many wild birds available to do that, where I could some day hope to become a real hunter that only hunts wild birds and trains on only wildbirds 8) what state did ya say that was?

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:00 pm

versatileguy wrote:What a bunch of sad sacks....you guys justify that you are "hunters" and yet you hunt "birds" that were released from a cage 20 minutes before you go out and blast them? How does that kind of thinking work?

And you don't see how that gives hunting a "bad" name?

You sound like the same types who carried water for Cheney after he blasted his "hunting" buddy.

If you are paying someone so you can "hunt all day" you are not hunting anything......you are merely on a timed walk.

I can hunt all day for nothing when I have done the work, gotten the spot, and received permission if necessary.

You are neither hunters or sportsmen. You are blackeyes to hunting and to those of us who really do get out and really hunt wild birds.
Talk about a sad sack! You are no sportsman, but I'll tell you what, I bet you are a hero with the PETA people. You know nothing about the preserves we hunt or when the birds are released. Oh, BTW, I would have carried water for Cheney!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:25 pm

It is amazing isn't it? The liberals are always the ones claiming to be the ones that are tolerent of others and all about choices. What a joke!!!!!

I see now that this guy is here only to start an argument, but as hard as I try, it is really hard to not respond to some of the arrogant and ignorant statements. However, since he apparently accomplished what he set out to do, this will be my last post on the subject.
Charlie

pear

Post by pear » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:44 pm

V-Guy has proven himself a trouble maker after 2 warns and is now ban from GDF ....."pear" GDF Moderator
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

mm

Post by mm » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:45 pm

Good deal Pear, no room for a guy like that here he was killin a good thread.
mm

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:30 am

last few years I've seen some land grabbed up in Kansas for guiding and allowing folks to hunt raised birds- even starting to see some WIHA land closed for it- think it's good for farmers who don't want to be bothered with folks asking permission- but I do wonder about some of the WIHA's tied up- maybe Kansas should list those on the Atlas- folks could see how much is being used- instead of driving up expecting to go out- but then realizing it's closed

as much as I've come to love wild birds, I'd go on one of those or preserves. Think for quite a few they are the only option- some of the public areas get hunted hard and sometimes there's a rush to get there first- one can almost expect some arguments

we do have a good program where just about anyone can take a youngster out to certain areas and before the actual season starts- some think it's unfair- most don't see it that way

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:55 am

Dang Pear,

I was just getting out me boxing gloves :lol: AARGH abit of the pirate was starting to come out in me you know us pirates always up for a good fight :lol: ..you didnt have to ban him :wink: athough I do appoligize to the original thread writer Ron R in allowing myself to let that guy to bait me in abit and getting away from the original topic..

To get back on topic Does anyone know of any good preserves in the NJ,DEL, PA or any area's for that matter I am sure others would like to know where they are, that will let you and a buddy hunt quail for 5-6 bucks a bird and take your time like Ron had originally mentioned?

bwire

Post by bwire » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:33 am

Where in Pa are you looking? I go to one in Glen Rock (Mason Dixon Hunting Farm) which is in York county in southcentral Pa. Its not too far from the Pa/Md. line and they have quail for $7 each and will do what ever they can to please you. The one time the quail did not fly too well (mostly because of the weather) they did not charge me full price for the birds. They also have chukar and pheasant and charge for the birds released and not by the number of guns. I know some people who go to Martz's Hunting Preserve which is north of Harrisburg. I know of some others in the area as well if thats the area you are looking for.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:04 pm

Preserves are only as good as their birds. That is the main thing to scope out before going.
brenda

bpenn1980

Post by bpenn1980 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:17 pm

birddogger wrote:It is amazing isn't it? The liberals are always the ones claiming to be the ones that are tolerent of others and all about choices. What a joke!!!!!
I'm not going to wade in too deep here, but there's a lot of truth to this statement.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:32 pm

briarpatch wrote:I was just getting out me boxing gloves AARGH abit of the pirate was starting to come out in me you know us pirates always up for a good fight ..you didnt have to ban him athough I do appoligize to the original thread writer Ron R in allowing myself to let that guy to bait me in abit and getting away from the original topic..
briarpatch, Thanks but no need to apoligize to me. It looks like some may have missed my point. I'm going out on a limb here and say that all of us love to wild bird hunt and would do it every chance we got. A person/people with the resources to do that will only be able to hunt 2 1/2 months as opposed to the 8 1/2 months of preserve season. For a passionate/obsessed birddog man like myself and the rest of you 2 1/2 months is not enough time for me or my dogs and I cannot wait to get back to the preserves and trials. They're some very good preserves that pride themselves on having good flying birds and being afforable enough for anybody. Any of you that know of these places should mention there names and locations because they're may be someone in the area that needs a place like that.

I'm guessing the person with the problem with preserves and planted birds also has a problem with trialing as well. I have no problem debating with someone that can make an intelligent point and support it with facts as to why they feel that way but you can't fix stupid (as was this case).

Ron

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:48 pm

Shadow wrote:last few years I've seen some land grabbed up in Kansas for guiding and allowing folks to hunt raised birds- even starting to see some WIHA land closed for it- think it's good for farmers who don't want to be bothered with folks asking permission- but I do wonder about some of the WIHA's tied up- maybe Kansas should list those on the Atlas- folks could see how much is being used- instead of driving up expecting to go out- but then realizing it's closed

You mean KS WIHA being taken out of the program to be used for guideing and preserves? As far as I know and unless things have changed, WIHA are not supposed to closed to public access for any reason?

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:04 pm

In the past I used preserves to introduce young kids to upland hunting and to help in the training of my dogs. Despite the work that the Missouri Department of Conservation, myself and others have put into habitat work the quail numbers in northwest Missouri are slim pickens. I can't stand to leave my dogs at home and have been hunting more early release birds and guiding preserve hunts.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:07 pm

ACooper wrote: You mean KS WIHA being taken out of the program to be used for guideing and preserves? As far as I know and unless things have changed, WIHA are not supposed to closed to public access for any reason?
last couple years yes- the Atlas lists an area- but it's got a yellow sign on it- controlled hunt area- you go north of Clay Center and Hays you run into them

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:26 pm

Controled hunt areas are controled by the state, aren't they? Those wouldn't be open to outfitters or leased.

Ezzy'

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:51 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Controled hunt areas are controled by the state, aren't they? Those wouldn't be open to outfitters or leased.

Ezzy'
I'm not really up on it- all I know is for the past two years I've seen WIHA's that were on the Atlas- but they were closed- some quite big sections
I never called the KDWP's- not sure what is up with this stuff- I've talked with a few other hunters I met arround them- they can't figure it out either- just figure there's plenty to go arround so head somewhere else-

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:34 pm

Shadow wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:Controled hunt areas are controled by the state, aren't they? Those wouldn't be open to outfitters or leased.

Ezzy'
I'm not really up on it- all I know is for the past two years I've seen WIHA's that were on the Atlas- but they were closed- some quite big sections
I never called the KDWP's- not sure what is up with this stuff- I've talked with a few other hunters I met arround them- they can't figure it out either- just figure there's plenty to go arround so head somewhere else-
I'm not sure about Ks but controlled hunt areas in IL are ran by the state and you have to put in for a draw for them a year in advance for one particular day. It's a joke. A friend and I drove to a place called Panther Creek (IL state park) and they have many areas to hunt quail except the areas that have quail. I'm saying that you can't hunt the area's that have quail. If you put in for the draw and get it you will be able to hunt the santuary for that day. All the surrounding areas are tilled over mud fields that would never draw the surrounding quail out of there santuary. It would be truely heartbreaking to learn that Ks. is starting to adopt this practice.

Ron

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:46 pm

Ron,

We have stae run WMA's around here and they are pretty good areas to hunt. You do have to get a permit but there is not that kind of a waiting period as they only open up the application time a month or so before the season. They are not what I like but they provide some good hunting for a lot of people. I think last year they released somewhere near 70000 pheasants in the state and that maybe way low as they raised that many up here in our area so there may have been a lot more down south.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say a tilled over mud field, so I can't comment on that but I know several people who have hunted Panther Creek and really liked it but I haven't been there.

Ezzy

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:11 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Ron,

We have stae run WMA's around here and they are pretty good areas to hunt. You do have to get a permit but there is not that kind of a waiting period as they only open up the application time a month or so before the season. They are not what I like but they provide some good hunting for a lot of people. I think last year they released somewhere near 70000 pheasants in the state and that maybe way low as they raised that many up here in our area so there may have been a lot more down south.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say a tilled over mud field, so I can't comment on that but I know several people who have hunted Panther Creek and really liked it but I haven't been there.

Ezzy
I was there 2 years ago and that was my experience. We spoke to one of the park rangers and thats how he explained it to us when we signed in. BTW, we were the only people there so we new something was off when we pulled up. We were allowed to hunt the surrounding fields and we did (we surely did'nt drive all that way for nothing-well maybe we did, but we had to let the dogs run anyway). All the areas that we could hunt were tilled over fields that were very muddy and we went to them all. I would truely appreciate it if yuou would find out how your friends had a good hunt there and post it or pm me. If they have wild quail to hunt I'm willing to give it another shot. Heck, maybe I can meet you there.

Ron

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:55 am

versatileguy wrote:Well then if you can not (or are too lazy) to scope out and find wild bird areas to hunt with your dog/dogs......then maybe (more like obviously) you should not own the dog/dogs.

Your types do a disservice to those who really hunt wild birds.

Gamefarms are for pretenders and posers..............and for some brush up training. Going to preserves to blast birds is not hunting........ and those who frequent them are not hunters, inspite of the BS stories they will try to tell you about how "natural" the" hunt" was. :roll:

Preseve/gamefarms hunts=Birds in a can.....

.....for those who CAN'T. :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Folks, these posts get you banned.

Hotpepper

Post by Hotpepper » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:32 pm

From my perspective, wild birds are way to valuable to hunt on a regular basis in the Southern Indiana, Southern Illinois area and I own a farm with wild birds on it. They are way to valuable for me to just go and shoot them, to take birds from a preserve, game farm, etc is a much better idea.

Wild birds and young dogs make them behave as they should. No fooling around with the wild birds as they are just "out of here" and gone. Enjoy the covies on my farm way too much to shoot them.

Put and take on state areas or WMA's is a great way for me and grandson and son in law to have a wonderful experience. Coming from a man who has hunted wild ducks all of my life, it is a differenct experience but a good one at planted birds. Pheasants and chukars are not from my area but are fun to "hunt", dog point, stand and shoot them

Pepper
2009 NGSPA National Champion R/U
OFA Good 06/09
3 years of Age

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2071

Jeremiah 29:11

God says He has Plans for Me

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:02 pm

i like preserves like most of you guys have said. they are and a good way to get into birds. and i am a hunting guide. i have 30 plus thousand arces to hunt. all have a ton of wild birds on them. but sence i work for an outfitter. i cant hunt the land we have until the end of the year. after all of the other bird hunters are gone. witch is fine with me because i gotta pay bills. and the public land. around here gets hit so hard that its hard to find wild birds. on it to tell you how hard it gets hit. is you can get to the field an hour or so before day break. and there will be 10 people at the same field. but back to the to the subject. the preserves are a good way to to your dog/dogs on birds. and you don't have to walk ten miles a bird. on public land and for bad shots like me. you get more then one shot a day.

versatileguy please tell me. where you are from. and i would be willing to pay you. to take me out and hunt. or just to run my dogs. with all of the wild birds you have to hunt. and will you at least tell me. if you have ever tried going to a hunting preserve. or at least a good one?
kick'em up knock'em down

bobspheasant

Post by bobspheasant » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:42 am

Anyne who is a hunter would prefer to hunt wild birds because they are more of a challenge. However, from my house in suburban Minneapolis to an area where there is decent public land to hunt that might have a bird or two in it is a three hour drive. From my house to the game preserve I belong to is 1 hour. I have been skunked on several occasions on public land inspite of having a good dog. It is worth the expense for me to belong to a preserve due to the sure thing of having birds and the shorter drive. I also like the hot lunch they serve after the hunt and the good job they do at attempting to simulate a wild hunt. I am planning to do some wild hunting this season as well, but I too am looking forward to the earlier season opening (they open in 4 days!) at my preserve! Whoohoo!

pmccumons

Post by pmccumons » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:00 pm

Having worked at Farmland Pheasant Hunters in Brown City, and currently working at the Huntsman Hunt Club in Dryden, I can say that the quality of hunting preserves comes down to the birds and the service provided by the preserve. At both locations we use birds from Oak Ridge in Wisconsin. Ive lost count of the number of times that ive had birds run hard down a fencerow or how many times ive had to send my dogs several hundred yards to retrive a wounded bird. Also a good preserve will be willing to do everything possible to make your hunt enjoyable.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:28 pm

pmc- nice looking Britt in that snow-

fase3

Post by fase3 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:35 am

Here in south La. the day of the wild bob is mostly over. I'm almost 69 and well remember the day when they were great in number. That is only memory. I hunt wild birds in Tx. thanks to friends and preserve birds in La. Between that and when the Woodcock migrate in my GSP lady stays busy and that's what it is all about!

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:58 pm

I've never hunted a preserve and regret not doing so with my last GSP. I went out with her 3 times the last year she was alive and took my son along too (his first experience with hunting) and due to not having access to any quailty ground, we got skunked each time. I still enjoyed watching my dog work the field but it was a long boring walk for my son!!

I'm still plannning on hunting public/private ground this year but when I go with my son again, it'll probably be to a preserve so he can actually see our newest pup point a pheasant and hopefully get to see me actually shoot one!!!

My boy's 8yo now and I sure don't want him to think hunting is boring so call me what you want but I'd rather pique my son's interest by going to a preserve than have him not want to go hunting with me..... :roll: