Dock dogs

natel24

Dock dogs

Post by natel24 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:11 pm

I attended my first dock dogs event yesterday in rockford, IL. I have seen it on tv several times but its pretty cool to see in person. All the dogs were mainly labs, goldens and a few mixed breeds, I was wondering if anyone has ever had a pointer in one of these events? My gsp loves water and i think he wouldn't do to bad, he might not jump 30', but they had classes for beginners all the way to elite. Just thought it might be something fun and different for all you field trial and hunt test people.
natel24
"My dogs not perfect, but i'm not a perfect shot either."
"I'd rather go hunting without a gun than without my dog."

PTdawg

Re: Dock dogs

Post by PTdawg » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:36 pm

We entered our lab in a few heats at an event back in February. There were a few gsp's entered in the competition but all of them froze on the dock and wouldn't jump! haha! Even my lab who loves jumping into the lake off of a dock at home had to be coaxed into jumping. I think all the people and other dogs freaked her out...it was a blast though.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:37 pm

We did one dock dog event last year. It was fun, and I'll do it again if I can find one nearby. Below is the post I did last year--under brags I think. I think my video link is still good.
Well, I’m a little late in getting this announcement done, but Roxi is now an official Dock Doggie (video below). On September 6th, we went a couple hours west to Urbandale, Iowa to attend a Pheasants Forever Event. There were several dog venues, and one of them was Dock Dogs. Dock Dogs is exactly that, dogs jumping off the dock into a pool, with the distance jumped being measured from the dock to the base of the dog’s tail as it breaks the water. Roxi loves water and we had her at a relatives farm pond, jumping off of his small dock a few times this summer...so we thought she would be a natural. While we were there, we were educated by the regulars and learned on our own that Dock Dogs is a little different from the dog’s perspective.

After we entered Roxi, there was a practice session. First she had to go up a metal staircase, which was new to her. Then she was up on the 40’ long dock that is maybe 4’ high. Clint ran up, teased her, and threw her bumper in the pool to no avail. From what we were told, that is not uncommon at all. Most dogs aren’t use to the 2’ drop to the clear water, and it screws up their depth perception and increases the fear factor. Clint was bummed, but we’d paid our entry fee, so we decided that we may as well give it a try.

When it was Roxi’s turn to do a competitive jump, she got to the end of the dock and again refused. You only have 90 seconds to get your dog to jump, and you can’t touch your dog. Clint then gave it his all--see video. I could kick myself in the butt, but in the last few seconds I turned the video off—thinking she wouldn’t do it:( And what do you know, she jumped 4’6”. No, it doesn’t compare to the experienced dog’s jumps, but it was neat just the same and Clint got high praise from the judges (and me) for giving it his all (and getting soaked). I think the shortest jump I’ve seen recorded on the DD site was like 1.5’, and that dog must have fell in:) Each dog gets two jumps, but when it was Roxi’s turn to go again, Clint was unsuccessful. Her bumper was thrown too far out, which is hard on a new dog, as it seems less attainable. She all but fell in, but still clung tight to the dock. We watched several dogs that morning that refused all together, and one that even went so far as to jump off of the side of the platform twice. Roxi’s jump put her in the Novice Class of 10’ and under and she got 4th for her group. I was tickled pink. While we won’t be traveling all over to compete, I hope to attend an event or two next year in my area. Now it's time to get back to the bird training. Denise

The beginning at the farm pond (posted this a few months ago):
http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa28 ... 644d9c.pbr

Roxi's first ever Dock Dog performance:
http://s199.photobucket.com/albums/aa28 ... CN2989.flv

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:43 pm

Couldn't get my links to work. Looks like it get's shortened/messed with when it's quoted? Anywho.......

Her practice at the farm pond:

Her first Dock dog experience:

YELLERDOGS

Post by YELLERDOGS » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:43 pm

We do a lot of dock diving events. (sometimes 2 a month all year long) There are a lot of GSP's that are big jumpers and really hold their own. Depending on what circuit you go to and where the event is held you will see more. As long as you don't get caught up in the politics it's a lot of fun.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:41 am

We tried it with 3 of our dogs a couple of weeks ago. The pond being used was very low, so there was about a 5 ft drop-off from the dock to the water. Couldn't get any of them to jump off - not that I could blame them considering the height and their lack of experience! Next time, we'll ease into it and jump off docks with 1 or 2 ft drop-offs, those should be more doable. :)
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:47 am

A lot of GSP's do jump. The two that stand out the most are Sue Barnes with Tanner (mytdog.com) and Beth with Rita. Tanner is the winningest GSP in Dock Dogs with multiple awards for distance, breed and Age. He had his personal best of over 25' at the age of 9 or 10 at the Nationals event in Rogers MN. Rita is known for a different reason. She does not like to jump into cold water. However, this past year she won the most improved dog and her jumps are getting longer and longer. Beth j ust waits for warmer weather. Rita was there wasn't she? Of course I also can't forget the GSP, Seven. He has had some really long jumps.

I'm glad you guys had fun. it's a great way to spend the off season and have fun with your dog. Of course I am biased, I've been a member since 2005 and former club president. We plan to hit the rockford event next year since it is near Dyson's breeder.

Carla

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:57 am

I don't do the Dock Dog thing, but the show that Denise is talking about was very cool. I got a chance to catch Sue Barnes' Tanner jump a couple of times. Very impresive!!!

Doug

MOOSE

Post by MOOSE » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:54 pm

I can't believe I missed this post. We compete heavily in dock jumping. But we compete with Ultimate Air Dogs mostly due to location. I second the keep out of the politics and you will have fun!

I have two GSP's. One is 11 months old and is jumping 20' right now so should over the next year really start jumping HUGE. And one that is a 15' jumper or so. GSP's tend to be the ones that are a bit finiky about the water temp and such. But when you find that one GSP who loves this sport there is no stopping them.

Just in our organizaiton alone we have:

Indy- 24' jumper
Oskar- 19-20' Jumper
Phoenix (my girl) 19-20'
Tundra (my other girl) 15' jumper
Sticky- 15' jumper
Champ- 23' Jumper

There are a few others as well along with a Vizsla and a Weim who do it.
Beth
UWP GRCH UMJCH BNJ Shooter's Rising Phoenix CGC-GSP
USUV UMJCH Flying High Rajah TDI- APBT
UJJ CH Legacyk FlwCrk The Old Peublo RD- GSP
UWP UCD UMJ URO1 GRCH BNJ Rumor Has It CGC RN RD NA II- GSP

collinedward

Post by collinedward » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:26 pm

I have done several dock dog events with my gsp. They are ran great compared to other companies out there. My boys best jump was 23 ft. He was consistently around the 20 to 21 mark.

kumate

Post by kumate » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:45 pm

phermes where was this at? i am alwayas loking for a local place

jerry

collinedward

Post by collinedward » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:07 pm

wv
Last edited by collinedward on Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:56 pm

Wow, that's some air. Neat photo with him up in the clouds. :wink:

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:11 pm

kumate wrote:phermes where was this at? i am alwayas loking for a local place

jerry
It's done in Ft Myers. Very nice folks, too. We had fun, even if the dogs didn't 'get it'.

http://www.swfldogdiving.com/Home.html
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

collinedward

Post by collinedward » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:56 pm

oh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BDBUzi

Post by BDBUzi » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:12 pm

Awesome pics.
I've been somewhat interested in this topic since I got my pup swimming.

What are some effective ways to train for these events?

collinedward

Post by collinedward » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:13 pm

wv
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

collinedward

Post by collinedward » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:57 pm

Im really not sure .. I went to my first event 3 to 4 years ago and he jumped like 10ft .. At the time I lived in a aprtment complex that had dog park in at, which had hurdles in it...I started working on him jump over the hurdles and catching his ball or dummy. I did that for about three months, and our next competition he was at the 20 ft mark.

YELLERDOGS

Post by YELLERDOGS » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:21 pm

A huge help is speed. The faster down the dock and a good "pop" at the end and you'll see a huge improvement. How old is your pup?

BDBUzi

Post by BDBUzi » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:37 pm

I guess he's not much of a pup now.
About 16 months old.

He's got a lot of speed. That's the main reason I asked.
If I could get him to max out on the dock and jump, he'd probably fly...

collinedward

Post by collinedward » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:58 am

From my experience pointers are really hit and miss in this sport.

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:13 am

Start short and work on your dogs stride. Hitting the end of the dock without leaving a bunch of room is crucial. Start a couple of strides from the end and then slowly move back one stride at a time. If he/she ever hesitates or stutter steps go back to where you had the last confident jump, go a few times and then adjust for stride again. Remember the dock is 40ft long and 2 ft off the water, so a tape measure helps in knowing where to place the dog.

For beginners, I would check out www.sportmutt.com for some good pointers. You must also decide what type of method you are going to use, the place and send or chase method. Place and Send is where you set the toy in the water and bring the dog back and then release. This is great for dogs that do not have a good sit/stay. The chase method is where you set the dog in a sit stay and then release the dog as you throw it in front of them. This is the most popular and gets the most bang for the buck.

For working on the "pop" we do land training with agility jumps. We put the dog in a sit/stay and work on throwing the toy just in front of the dogs nose but not close enough for him/her to catch it as they jump over the hurdle. However there are dogs that straight line jump with just speed, but are usually not in the top spots. My friends Malinois does this and is consistantly in the 16-20 ft range.

If you have any more questions on starting, just email me.

Carla

BDBUzi

Post by BDBUzi » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:36 pm

Thanks for the information Carla.
That was very helpful.

Has anyone ever seen a Bourbonnais at any of the dock competitions you've been to?

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:32 am

I don't believe I have. All sorts of other dogs though. Any dog (except ones I own) can do it as long as they have toy drive and like water. My dog Dyson, although he loves water has no toy drive, only bird drive and since we can't throw a live bird, he has no interest. Oh Well, just have to get another dog! :D

Carla