Weekend with Dogs & Horses

Karen
GDF Junkie

Weekend with Dogs & Horses

Post by Karen » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:35 am

Sunday afternoon John and I took Courage, Tessa & Blaze out to the farm to get some exercise. Courage hurt his foot last week (got it stuck in the dog door), so it was the first time in nearly 2 weeks he'd gotten out, and what a great time he had!

That dog has virtually NO pattern and the grass was tall, so I never knew where to look for him to pop out....and without fail, he was farther away than I expected every single time.

Here he is with those big ears flopping in the wind!

Here's Trav and Quinn practicing ground tying (I think they're starting to like each other).

Man, does Trav look short!!

Tessa breaking away

Blaze loving it!!

ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

dlfl

Re: Weekend with Dogs & Horses

Post by dlfl » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:01 am

I wish I had been there!
Dіck

jetto

Post by jetto » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:42 am

Looks like alot of fun for everyone! We didn't get any training in this past weekend...:<(...
Kristi

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:08 am

We were lucky again last night. It as a little warmer than I expected, but we got everyone out running again. We found Trav and Quinn hanging around together when we got to the barn, so they've worked out their differences. Gunsmoke on the forum met us there with his wife's horse to get him used to being around dogs. He did a good job! Only spooked once I think when Courage buzzed him from behind. And I think Trav has decided he's okay going out alone if there's a dog on the ground. John doubled back to see where Gunsmoke was, and Trav never gave it a second thought.

Quinn seems to get better and better and gait more smoothly with each ride. We got him a new bit (also a pascal but slightly different) and put a curb strap instead of chain on it, and he seems to like it better (We need to send his old headstall back to his prior owner). We were joking that before long John won't want anyone else riding Quinn either. Was fun!

Hopefully the weather cooperates tomorrow evening and we get everyone out again.
ImageImage

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:04 am

Nice pics, and for ONCE NJ enjoyed a weekend of great weather! Last time I was there we didnt see any birds - they are supposedly stocking 300 this week.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:58 am

Gary, you talking about the setter club? We were up in Columbia. The farm I board my horse on has 100 acres and the owner lets me run dogs there. With a little luck we'll start putting some birds out in the next week or two. But you're right. The weather has been downright terrible lately! 26 of 30 days raining (or something pretty close) for the month of June.
ImageImage