My new GWP /drahthaar---RUGER

dugger13

My new GWP /drahthaar---RUGER

Post by dugger13 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:59 am

Well i made my decision and picked the new pup up at the airport yesterday. Here he is.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Uq ... directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Y2 ... directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Jd ... directlink

I will get the pedigree info up later. Too excited with bumpers and swimming right now.

I have a question. If both parents are drahthaars, then is this puppy a drahthaar? Or a GWP. The parents are registerred DD's, and also he registered them with navhda so that this letter could be tested under navhda. I am assuming if i can get to a dd test then i could register this pup as a dd and go through that testing as well. Just curious.

Georgia Boy

Re: My new GWP /drahthaar---RUGER

Post by Georgia Boy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:18 am

If both parents have met the VDD requirements to become breed eligible and the puppy is registered with the VDD then you can run it in the in the JGHV testing system. If not you will be limited to NAVHDA or some other organization which calls them GWP regardless.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

Born2Hunt

Post by Born2Hunt » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:28 pm

Congrats on the pup :D He sure is good looking

dugger13

Post by dugger13 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:48 pm

is there a drahthaar lookup anywhere on their site. i have their info... thanks

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:44 pm

Oh my, what a great looking pup! And I just LOVE the name!! Please post pics regularly! :D

MB

Post by MB » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:40 pm

dugger13 wrote:is there a drahthaar lookup anywhere on their site. i have their info... thanks
Here's a list of VDD registered breeders. http://www.vdd-gna.org/breeders_gna.php

Does the puppy have a tattoo in his right ear?

What are the pups and parents full names?

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:19 pm

Congrats on the new puppy! Now, make sure you identify him correctly,right now he is a DD not a GWP. Unless you end up registering him with AKC, then he will be a GWP and nothing he ever does in his life will turn him back into a DD. However, if you test him with the VDD and he does well, he will be a registered DD. But don't consider breeding him to an AKC GWP, he will again lose his DD status and be a GWP.

Your breeder should be able to address all of this for you and lead you to the correct path for testing down the road. I'm actually surprised he didn't give you the insight on all of this before you bought the puppy. I'm going to guess he told you what you can and can't do with him?

He's a handsome boy... !
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:25 pm

very handsome pup, best of luck!!!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:26 pm

we wired-haired pointer owners have to stick together!!!

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:45 pm

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:44 pm

You bought a puppy and you don't know what it is?
What breeder sold you a puppy and didn't tell you if it was a DD or GWP? Doesn't make sense.Maybe you should be calling the breeder and not looking for answers on the net??????

lakota

Post by lakota » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:57 pm

Dugger13 I spoke to you about the pups a week or so ago. THe pups were registered DD's. The owner then lived in Montana and could not make it to the vdd test as the were 800 miles away. Dogs got together and the parents were never tested in VDD only Navhda. Since the parents were not tested in the vdd they are not recognized by the VDD. They will now be recognized as GWP's from this point on.

Clint

dugger13

Post by dugger13 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:12 am

Thanks
That is what i thought.
Doesn't really matter to me what they are called, DD or GWP. I plan on NAVHDA testing only.

One lady at gander mountain thought my new pup was a Cocker Spaniel. :lol: :lol:

I fell over laughing.

lakota

Post by lakota » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:27 pm

Keep me posted on how the pup is doing. He has changed a bunch since I saw him when he was 7 weeks old. Nice looking pup! Keep posting pic's when you can!

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:18 pm

Wait,,, how can that be? According to the vdd gna website, GWP's and DDs are considered different breeds?

If that pup was born here in the states, and if it's parents are not AKC registered.... can it be registered as a GWP anyway?
Wondering?
Fuzz

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:51 pm

Fuzz,

Not sure if you are serious or just being sarcastic, but I will assume the best of you. 100 years ago they were the same, there was no such thing as a GWP. After being brought to the US and gaining AKC recognition they evolved into what they are today (GWP).They are used for show dogs and for all sorts of other non hunting activities. Only a small percentage are actually used for hunting here and most of those outside of NAVHDA are strictly bird dogs. The VDD will not accept GWP's, but the AKC is more than happy to register DD's as GWP's.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

dugger13

Post by dugger13 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:27 pm

The parents are not AKC registered

Here is my dog playing in the yard, after swimming at the beach. I use hotdogs in the yard to help with the COME command when young.
The all powerful hotdog :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO-1oDYkgoo

lakota

Post by lakota » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:18 pm

nice retrieve!

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:04 pm

dugger13 wrote:The parents are not AKC registered

Here is my dog playing in the yard, after swimming at the beach. I use hotdogs in the yard to help with the COME command when young.
The all powerful hotdog :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO-1oDYkgoo

Did you get any kind of papers?

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:51 am

Only a small percentage are actually used for hunting here
Really? How small a percentage do you believe that to be?

So, there are DD owners breeding untested dogs, just what do they advertise them as? DD's? GWP's? And if the sire and dam are not tested, are they registered as DD's? How are the pups registered, and with whom?

I really would like to know how that works.
Fuzz

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:48 am

The litter ,most likely, does not have german papers. If the parents were not tested VDD will not recognize and will not tattoo the litter.AKC and NAVHDA recognize DDs as GWPs.The breeder can advertise however they like but they would be decieving puppy buyers if sold as DDs. These pups no longer exist to VDD.

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:48 am

Can I ask a question here? (Which will probably sound pretty stupid).

Are DD's and GWP's the same? I'm assuming they are the same breed per se, but what would set them apart? Is a DD preferable to a GWP? Why, once registered with AKC as a GWP could they not be a DD later in life? I'm just curious as I've never come across the breed before (in person, I've seen info on the web etc). Thanks for the help!

BTW- Great looking pup!!

dugger13

Post by dugger13 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:53 am

The dogs and the parents are registered with NAVHDA and recognized as GWP. So yes they are technically no longer DD. The DD testing site was something like 16 hours away from this person, so he did not get them tested in the DD system. Both parents are DD's
Sire is Lux Vom Wirehaus
Dam is Dee III Vom kervinshof

I am not planning on breeding this dog, so i really is a non-issue for me.

dugger13

Post by dugger13 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:55 am

adogslife wrote:The litter ,most likely, does not have german papers. If the parents were not tested VDD will not recognize and will not tattoo the litter.AKC and NAVHDA recognize DDs as GWPs. These pups no longer exist to VDD.

This is exactly what has happened. Both parents are DD's but the litter is NAVHDA registered as GWP.

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:46 am

Some would say that it is the performance based testing system that makes the DD and DK more consistent, reliable and predicable breeds. Is the GWP the same as the DD,maybe but unless GWPs could prove 100+ years of performance breedings I would say there is a difference.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:21 pm

adogslife wrote:Some would say that it is the performance based testing system that makes the DD and DK more consistent, reliable and predicable breeds. Is the GWP the same as the DD,maybe but unless GWPs could prove 100+ years of performance breedings I would say there is a difference.
Don't see how there can be a difference when two DD's have a litter of GWP's. The only difference is how they are tested and which organization they were registered with. Don't know about the DD but I believe it has been documented that GSP's were used in Germany and the puppies were still DK's.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

briguyz71

Post by briguyz71 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:01 pm

Good looking pup. Like how he is marked up.
Bri

dugger13

Post by dugger13 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:11 am

Looking over this thread has got me thinking the following, and i know the DD people are going to freak out.

the parents are registered DD's. My dog is a GWP, The exact same dog could of been a DD if the parents took the dog tests. Genetically, at least in this situation, the dogs are the same. Doesn't that make the breeds the same? The only factor here is a testing system, not genetics. Obviously my situation doesnt apply to all GWP owners. But i bet this happens more than you think.

To me i seems like a huge leap that one can create a whole new breed of dog based on a testing system. Are GWPs, and DD's, genetically different in some way?

Gezer

Post by Gezer » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:25 pm

Looks like a nice pup...couple things to consider
VDD DD's and GWP's registered with NAVHDA are all considered GWP's by that registry
VDD DD's and GWP's registed with FDSB are all considered DD's by that registry
DD's that are bred without completeing JGHV/VDD testing requirements cannot be registred with VDD, they can be registered with AKC, NAVHDA, and FDSB...there are many good NAVHDA dogs with DD and GWP blood in the pedigree....this is the same with AKC registed dogs, you can find some fine Hunting dogs in all thes registry's....dogs are same genetically...I personally think you will find more consistant dogs out of VDD...mainly due to the strict breeding requirements...testing and confirmation....there are also some fine GWP breeders who test NAVHDA/AKC who are making efforts to make sure the GWP remains versitile....and not just doing upland birds....if that is all you would do with the dog....I would recommend a EP....