How do I break it gently?

Michael Jobe

How do I break it gently?

Post by Michael Jobe » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:12 pm

Any ideas on how to politely let my buddy know I don't like the idea of his lab and my setter hunting together? He kinda brought it up today and I cringed internally and just said "he's going to have to hunt alone for the first couple of years." Just the fact that one is a flusher and the other is a pointing dog sounds like a bad mix in the field (in addition to other things).

Thanks,

~Michael

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: How do I break it gently?

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:51 pm

Michael Jobe wrote:Any ideas on how to politely let my buddy know I don't like the idea of his lab and my setter hunting together? He kinda brought it up today and I cringed internally and just said "he's going to have to hunt alone for the first couple of years." Just the fact that one is a flusher and the other is a pointing dog sounds like a bad mix in the field (in addition to other things).

Thanks,

~Michael
I don't see the problem. It shouldn't be hard to just explain that a young pointing dog shouldn't be run with a flushing dog if you ever want the pointer to be steady on point. And surely two buddies can decide to hunt one of the dogs for half the time and then the other one when they hunt together.

Ezzy.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:15 pm

surely he/she will see the logic in it, shouldn't be hard at all. you will probably get a more positive reaction than you expect.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:24 pm

Michael -

It is best, I think, to bestraightforward and matter of fact about it and not leave any room for discussion.

I would say something like: "You brought up next season's hunting and suggested that we hunt the two dogs together. It is a bad idea for a pointing dog and a flushing dog to hunt together, and will cause me a lot of problems with my dog. So I am not going to do that."

You can definitely do what Ezzy suggested and offer to split the shifts, alternating which dog goes first.

When and if your buddy starts asking "Why not? Whats the big deal? or some such, just repeat that that is not what you want to do because it will screw up your dog. Sometimes you have to choose between your bud and your dog.

Rayg

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:49 pm

Been there, but in an even more difficult way. Last season I had to explain to a very good friend and mentor of mine that I couldn't hunt my trial dogs with his dogs. His dogs are wild bird/meat dogs, and are not broke by any means. I compete with mine and one of them is a younger dog needing to be seasoned and steadied on wild birds and does not to be hunting with unbroke dogs. He dealt with the matter but I could tell definately felt insulted. I suggested we hunt the dogs in shifts which we did but did not seem to help any. Unfortunately i have too much into mine to take the chance.

Rich Heaton

Post by Rich Heaton » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:59 pm

Change your cell number and move,,,, its for the best.

Busterb

Post by Busterb » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:37 pm

And after all this time... No wonder I can never get a hold of you :) LOL

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:16 pm

Ahhh it's better than your friends only asking you to go hunting so they can hunt over your dogs. I have some friends like that and others who have really good dogs we hunt together.

Chief_dog

Post by Chief_dog » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:11 pm

Personally, I've never had a problem hunting flushers (or unbroke dogs) with my pointing dogs. It gives me a chance to keep my broke dogs broke. I have two dogs that have had a few thousand birds shot over them where they go on point, a lab comes in to flush and retrieve. I hunt with guys sometimes who have pointing dogs that blink backs, creep in on point, and chase birds at the flush. No problem. My dogs have to stand broke through the whole thing. It makes them better trial dogs for it too. Ace has never taken a step on a bird in a field trial in his five year career. I attribute that to all the times I demanded he keep his manners when hunting with unbroke dogs.

Ken Lynch

Post by Ken Lynch » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:42 pm

I agree with Chief_dog. It is an opportunity to train and steady your dog. I have done just such a thing. However, there are times when you would just like to go out and hunt behind your own dog. Your buddy should understand. If he does not, perhaps he is not such a good buddy. It is not always about putting meat on the table.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:10 pm

There you go talking bad about my dogs again Chief. :) We really need to find a time to get together and do some training this summer.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:43 pm

I disagree that this creates a good opportunity to train and steady your dog. Only bad things can happen, no different than running puppy stakes. I wont run dogs with other peoples dogs if they arent trained to the same level. Dont get me wrong good things can come with from running dogs together but I dont see anything good coming from it until both dogs are dead broke.

As for the original posters question, you have to be blunt and bold, yet nice. I have some friends that have dogs that only get out with them ten times a year or so and I just lay it out there. I cant afford having an untrained dog ruining all of my hard work. If you are up front and honest it will save you time, money and ultimately a friendship in the end. Good luck and remember honesty goes a long way. :wink:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Pineywoods

Post by Pineywoods » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:23 pm

I have been there done this. I have a very good friend that has Golden's and I have Pointer's. On a hunting trip in Nebraska
he wanted to run our dogs together. I explained to him that my pointers might pull his dog out of shotgun range and he did
not want to do it any more. Problem solved ! No body wants a 300 yard flusher.

Rich Heaton

Post by Rich Heaton » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:30 pm

You could always try "its not you its me" approach,,, I've heard that one a few times,,,, or next time he calls and wants to go out,,, just say you would love to go but ya got to wash your hair.

Chief_dog

Post by Chief_dog » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:36 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:There you go talking bad about my dogs again Chief. :) We really need to find a time to get together and do some training this summer.
LOL, you know I'm not talking about you Tom. I'd hunt with you and Phil anytime. Good hunting buddies are hard to come by.

I'm in Guymon right now, so give me a call whenever you get some time.

Michael Jobe

Post by Michael Jobe » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:59 am

Thanks for the replies guys. Without going into too much detail, the lab concerns me because the last time she was around my setter she was showing some aggressiveness/dominance toward him (and I've seen her growl at certain people), I've never seen much birdiness or drive in her, and I've spent a lot of money training and working with my setter to get him to fight the urge to charge in on birds and point them like he should and I don't need her undoing that. Throw in some of my buddies bad hunting habits (he'd probably take a poke at a bird even if the dog knocked it, and he's a little over anxious to drop birds even if they aren't his or if they're on the edge of shotgun range) and the whole situation is no good.

~Michael

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:22 am

Doesn't sound like a buddy to me.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:50 am

tommyboy72 wrote:Ahhh it's better than your friends only asking you to go hunting so they can hunt over your dogs. I have some friends like that and others who have really good dogs we hunt together.
It's amazing how many new friends you gain when bird season rolls around, Isn't it?

Michael Jobe

Post by Michael Jobe » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:58 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Doesn't sound like a buddy to me.

Ezzy
I can thank him for all three of the white tail deer I've gotten, and for showing me how to gut and butcher them, so I'm willing to over look some of his mis-steps. If he does hunt with me and my setter, we'll have a good long talk and establish some ground rules (that will be strictly adhered to) first.

~Michael

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:20 pm

I've hunted my female with another Britt who had no manners for some time- he had to have a shocker collar on his all the time- my female wasn't too bothered that his wouldn't honor, would steal the point, would eat a bird if the guy coulnd't shock her- what cracked me up was he expected my female to retrieve a bird his had chewed- my female sort of went- you claimed it- I want nothing to do with it

I totally ended any hunting or going afield with them since the day his pointed, caught, killed a rabbit and he brought it back to the vehicle-
strange I know, but the next time out mine pointed a rabbit- not what I want

so no- I won't go out with those who don't have manners-
but a well trained flusher- sure- mine don't spend much time within gun range- and if the flusher was true to a flushers ways- and trained such that it would sit or otherwise stay back- and let me flush, shoot, and mine retrieve without interference there would be no trouble- I question how long a person with a flusher would want to be in the field in those cercumstances

I don't think your choice of not hunting yours with his is out of line- I've a youngster I won't put in a field with the other dog not having manners- way to many bad things can happen and make for a lot of undueing

hunt alone- sometimes it's the best

kylenicholas02

Post by kylenicholas02 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:11 pm

Rich Heaton wrote:Change your cell number and move,,,, its for the best.

I again laugh at your smart "bleep" commentary.... Love it
KN