Another Roading Question - ATV

daddyfid

Another Roading Question - ATV

Post by daddyfid » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:44 pm

I tried roading my 13 month old Vizsla today for the first time and she flipped out. I am not sure what to do. When the ATV was at not moving she was great but as soon as I started moving she jumped and flipped all around. I only made it up to 4 mph and about 30 yards before I stopped. Did not want her to get hurt. She will road off a horse just fine.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Re: Another Roading Question - ATV

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:04 pm

If you've got bars on front and back, put her on back and another dog on the front. I've found that when in back they want to chase the one in front, and it kinda helps them settle into their gait.

Go easy on her at 13 months, that's kinda young to start roading.

Doug

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:07 pm

She is testing you. Both of my vizslas did the same thing. Take it slow with her and keep encouraging her. If you let her get by with not roading, it is just the beginning. I would take it slow but keep going until she co-operates with you and then praise. Speeding up a little may help her get in line and not fight it. This is just my opinion and it is worth what you are paying for it. Good luck

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:44 am

She fought and the roading stopped, you gave her the option to make it stop and she took it. Dont give her the option. However you need to make sure your set up is safe enough to keep her out of the tires. I run sled dog type hareness and have bars that stick out to the side of my atv with drop chains. I made my rig out of chain link top rail.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:00 am

I will repeat the emphasis - be sure your set up is such that the dog cannot get into the tires of the machine in any way. I ran 4 dogs from mine - 6 ft. extensions out the side from the back and a eyebolt near the end. Snap two 24" tarp straps to the eyebolt and hook up two dogs on each side. If you need to run 8 dogs at a time you can put another bar across the front of the machine the same way.

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:36 am

Keep trying, some dogs take a bit longer and some dogs never will road from an ATV, dragging/forced does not help on those dogs in the least either I have been there done that before and will not do it again. One thing you can try that may help is to have someone walk ahead of the ATV that the dogs likes and trusts, that has helped before for me. Make real sure the harness is sized right as well as an improperly fitted harness can definitely make a dog not want to road as it rubs in all the wrong places.