Chicken Coop into kennels?

OK quail hunter

Chicken Coop into kennels?

Post by OK quail hunter » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:30 pm

My Dad recently bought some hunting ground that has a chicken coop that has been in use up until about a month ago. My question is this, I have heard in the past that chicken poop is not good for dogs, is there any truth to this? Also, he would like to use the other sections of the coop to raise some day old quail cjicks but is not sure whether to clean out the stalls or just put the chicks in there and let them go. Any advice is appreciated.

Meller

Re: Chicken Coop into kennels?

Post by Meller » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:39 pm

I would clean and disinfect.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:24 am

How large is this coop?
If small enough, I would move it to another location, clean and disinfect the entire structure even under it, with bleach and a power washer, let it set for a couple weeks then decide what to do with it.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

gunner

Post by gunner » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:58 am

I've known of dogs becoming ill and blinded from histoplasmosis picked up from old coops.

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:41 am

Cryptococous(sp?) is also a risk Dave, usually only in a dog with a weakened immune system but you never know.

OK quail hunter

Post by OK quail hunter » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:41 pm

Thanks for the replies folks, what is the best way to disinfect the coop, just bleach and water or is there something stronger out there to use?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:34 pm

here is a link to some better disinfectants http://www.atozvetsupply.com/category-s/54.htm
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.