Whoa training/Not pointing yet?

collinedward

Whoa training/Not pointing yet?

Post by collinedward » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:52 am

I made the mistake of teach my little 5 month gsp girl to sit . Whoa training is a little tough since , she wants to sit everytime i hold her back and tell her whoa. How do I break her of this?
I have yet to see her point.. How do I get her to do what she was bred to do ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

snips
GDF Junkie

Re: Whoa training/Not pointing yet?

Post by snips » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:26 pm

Sooo, are you trying to hold her back to point a bird? Kinda confusing what you wrote, is she 5 months now? If so, I would not worry about any obedience, just expose her to good flying birds and let the birds teach her to point:).
brenda

collinedward

Post by collinedward » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:49 pm

Im sorry I'm at work .Yes she just turned 5months old . Come to think of it, it might be the birds i'm planting. They don't fly real well, she just tries to catch them.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:52 pm

That'll do it. It is ok for exposure but after shes knowing what shes looking for time to get her on good flying birds. If you can't get them, wait til you can. I like to start on some pigeon launchers at around 7 mo if they are bold and need to get pointing. At her age I would not worry.
brenda

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:31 pm

collinedward -

Get a copy of Paul Long's book, "Training Pointing Dogs". It has in it a description of a heel/whoa drill that will help you in a couple of ways. Instead of using the looped checkcord I suggest using a Smith wonderlead or a pigging string(which is cheaper). That drill should get the dog out of the habit of sitting and it should also get the dog thinking about stopping and standing, so that when you reintroduce birds it may very well transefer that yard training into a point.

In the meantime, I would take the dog off birds, especially if they are lousy fliers.

RayG

bobman

Post by bobman » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:48 pm

snips wrote:Sooo, are you trying to hold her back to point a bird? Kinda confusing what you wrote, is she 5 months now? If so, I would not worry about any obedience, just expose her to good flying birds and let the birds teach her to point:).
thats what I would do
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:32 pm

it comes down to birds, birds, birds......stop holding her on birds in the field. she has to get the "chase" out of her system before you can start to "whoa" the dog. teach whoa in the yard without birds but invest in a bird launcher and keep putting flyaways in front of her...sooner or later she will start to slow down and creep to the bird, that is when you add the whoa on birds. 5 months old, dont expect too much too soon.

collinedward

Post by collinedward » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:13 am

Thanks for all the info.. Very helpful ...