What is a gundog?

stetson82

What is a gundog?

Post by stetson82 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:15 pm

I am a proud lab owner and I have met several other lab owners on the forum. Lateley we have been recieving alot of crap about being on this site. We are told labs are not gundogs and do not belong in the upland field. Therefore saying we have no place on this forum. I also view a mainly retriever forum in which upland hunters are treated as equals. I am just getting tired of getting excited about a pm or email and finding out it is some complaining about me being a lab owner. I had posted a litter of pups I had had an got replies saying to get those ********** muts of the forum. I enjoy hunting my labs they fit my style where I live and are versitile. I am sorry if we are so lowly. Not to sound so negative, I had joined for help with my shorthair.. and i have learned a ton. So thankyou to most of you. But if a lab owner has no place on this site then let us know I will leave. Otherwise Gundog forum rules.

Jmackk

Re: What is a gundog?

Post by Jmackk » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:00 pm

I would not worry about it to much, I have noticed some people get snipity when others ask question pertaining to labs. Personally, I think that Lab are great dogs that can be used for just about any type of hunting. They retrive(hence the name) they can flush if tought, I even saw one a few years ago on TV that would naturally point. Im not saying that other breeds are bad, and if I wanted a pointing dog only, or a flushing dog only then I would not choose a lab. But my lab fits all me needs, and she is really comeing along. Im sure there are people that are very "proper" or "finiky" about what dogs they think are "gundogs" and such. And you will come across this in general and in the field, but in all my dog and horse experience I have learned one thing. It does not matter what kind of dog you have(or horse) if he is not trained well. And If you can train a husky to be a birddog then thats great go for it. Personaly I dont think there is a "Porper" upland dog/s. Just ignore what they say and if there is a problem then someone who matters will contact you and explain thing to you how the forum works, like the staff. I have been using this sight for a while and there are some VERY smart people on here, that know dogs. Listen to them and ignore the others, they have helped me out a lot.

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:05 pm

I can only speak for myself, but if you use your lab to hunt anything it's a gundog in my book. Most of the posters seem to own pointing dogs but I've seen questions and answers exchanged related to many different breeds of dogs on here. It doesn't surprise me your critisism comes via pm's..i guess that's the way it's handled if you wanna critisize someone but don't have the nuts to do it in the public forum.
Last edited by postoakshorthairs on Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jmackk

Post by Jmackk » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:11 pm

but if you use your lab to hunt anything it a gundog in my book
amen and hallelujah

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:42 pm

Welcome and ignore the knuckledraggers...a dog that hunts is a gundog IMO.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:59 pm

Don't give the ingrates the satisfaction...
I raise Pointers and I also have a Black Labrador Retriever. He has earned his place in the UPLAND fields with my Pointers. He is a Gundog. So Is Yours.
Pay no attention to the trite, unhappy, little insecure fellows. :wink:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

limited out

Post by limited out » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:16 am

My dad owned labs, and I grew up with them. Now I'm a GSP guy.... but labs are most definitley a gun dog.

Here is a picture of a lab I grew up with, and past away about 4 months ago. I hunted with him quite a few times and he was a real fun dog to hunt behind. Got birds in the bag and looked good doin' it.

I own pointing dogs, but wouldn't say they are superior to flushing breeds. They just have a different style, that's all. Here is a picture of the old boy.

Rowdy...
Rowdy2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:09 am

Can't see why they'd be angry,unless they are afraid your dogs will make them look bad. :lol:
These people sound snobby and righteous. :mrgreen: I'd ignore them and maybe report them to the moderator for harassment.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:03 am

M1Tanker wrote:Welcome and ignore the knuckledraggers...a dog that hunts is a gundog IMO.
I agree. A good dog is a good dog.
big steve

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:37 am

if it's as you say and some pm'd you calling your's mutts and to get off the site should you be complaining here or send the pm's to the administrator

I grew up with Goldens and had a freind with a Black Lab- they were flushing dogs and quite good- later on in life we met in Iowa to try pointers against flushers- aside from them getting sick of trying to keep up with relocating- was pretty even- we also tried them on quail- flushers didn't do so good

Gun Dog- one that hunts for the gun

SFK

Post by SFK » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:07 am

Its crazy what people do! sheesh! :roll:

Guess they better call Gun Dog Magazine then too. They have retrievers/flushers in there as much as the pointers!

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:34 am

Any one that has a problem with labs or retrievr folks on here is well you fill in the blank._______
This forum has lot of pointing dog folks and info on here and at time it seems that Retriever answers are slow coming or not in high quantity. That is just the make up of the forum. Not a persecution of Retrievers or specifically Labs. You probablly have noticed there are a number of retriever trainers that are on this forum and some of them pretty darn notable.

You hunt, your dog hunts, flushes or points , you shoot he retrieves and or or tracks wounded game, you have a gun dog.

Those folks just need to go away.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:57 am

big steve46 wrote:
M1Tanker wrote:Welcome and ignore the knuckledraggers...a dog that hunts is a gundog IMO.
I agree. A good dog is a good dog.
Steve ....I am going to frame this :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: any pictures of your new pup yet

Stetson.....I hope you know you can report offensive PM's and posts there is a little warning sign in the upper right hand corner Please use this feature to report those who are giving your problems on this board.
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:13 am

I have pup pictures, but we need to figure out how to plug camera into computer etc.
big steve

NWCORNER

Post by NWCORNER » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:52 am

For me a Lab is the definition of Gundog, they hunt for the gun. Pointing dogs range, find birds and point em. Labs work methodically within range for the hunter, which IMO is a GUNDOG!

Some people are idiots, just try and ignore 'em.

Jake

naperdog

Post by naperdog » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:01 pm

I received a wierd message a while ago, i don't think this particular person was trying to be mean but i can say i didn't enjoy receiving it. I have since continued posting questions and reading what people have to say. Overall I have greatly enjoyed to forum!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:33 pm

If you fire a gun at game over a dog it is a gun dog to me.

I hunt over and field trial with pointers because that is what I like to do.

They are extremely well bred and as highly trained as I can get them...but guess what?? They are still dogs that hunt to the gun. Not better, not worse...just different. I will put my dogs on the line against anyone, anywhere, anytime in competition and they will not embarrass me, but when it comes to a day afield, they are just plain 'ol gundogs...OK, OK birddogs, the way I was brought up, but no big difference.

If you want to hunt over labs, that is and should be your choice because that is what you like to do.

If you want to hunt over beagles, or springers or cockers, that is and should be your choice because that is what you like to do.

If you want to take your Jack Russell or Airedale or Heinz 57 out and hunt over it that is and should be your choice because that is what you like to do.

If you shoot a gun over a dog at game...that dog is a gundog.

RayG

wirehog

Post by wirehog » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:03 pm

Stetson82

I am also a proud lab owner and new to GunDogsForum; we are not lowly by any means. Little by little our numbers may increase to a nice balance. IMO, pointers and retrievers are both great gun dogs. I have hunted behind both of them with equal success, though never on horse back (another prejudice some may have). There are always hecklers in a crowd and a couple of nuts in every box of cracker jacks. Let's not give them the satisfaction of ruining our enjoyment here and running us off. We have to much in common as gun dog owners and hunters to not share our ideas, questions, experiences, and stories for the greater benefit of us all.

I agree with knine, he's one of the MOD's here. Report the PM's and let the MOD's handle it. From what I have read while I was lurking prior to becoming a member and after signing up, they are fair and want to make this an enjoyable site for all and will not tolerate this type of behavior. This collection of forums are filled with to many good people to walk away from.

Ray,
You reminded me when I had a Lhasa Apso as the family pet when I was a kid. He was one heck of a quail dog. Covered the field and flushed better than most dogs hunting around us. Had to stop bringing him with us because my dad was afraid he would be mistaken for a rabbit. Ultimately may have been in the end, a coyote got the poor boy several years later.

Jim
Jim

All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost...
Advice is a dangerous gift, even from the wise to the wise, and all courses may run ill...
It's a job that's never started that takes the longest to finish...
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world...
--J.R.R. Tolkien--

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:39 pm

big steve46 wrote:I have pup pictures, but we need to figure out how to plug camera into computer etc.
when all else fails read directions..... :mrgreen: PS ..yeah yeah my dad always tells me i am better then a dumb one :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry for the hijack
we now resume to the regularly scheduled posts
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

jt807

Post by jt807 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:03 pm

IMO, gundog would include retrievers. This site leans towards upland dogs, specifically pointing breeds, however anyone complaining about anyone asking a retriever questions is defenitely out of line.

Besides, who cares if someone asks a question about a dog that isn't even a gundog, like a Pug or a Brittany for example? If you don't like the post, then don't read it.

Rich Heaton

Post by Rich Heaton » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:35 pm

jt807 wrote:like a Pug or a Brittany for example?
Hey now,,, that is what we are talking about,,, sides there is only room for one smart arse on this forum.

jt807

Post by jt807 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:43 pm

I was only kidding about the Britanny remark. Just trying to stir the pot.

BAYDOG

Post by BAYDOG » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:21 pm

LOL...then they must really hate me. If it hunts, and you gun over it...GUNDOG
"Been owned by many a great dog, but Lady the AWS by far is the best"

GOD Bless,
Rob G.

jt807

Post by jt807 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:05 pm

BAYDOG wrote:LOL...then they must really hate me. If it hunts, and you gun over it...GUNDOG

Exactly!

stetson82

Post by stetson82 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:22 am

Wow Thanks for all the replies it great to see all the non anti lab people. I is funny how the positive posts show up were everyone can see them and the others come either email or pm. like I said DUNGOG FORUM RULES

Tejas

Post by Tejas » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:53 am

As many have said, if you hunt over the dog with a gun, it is a gundog and that could include almost anything. There has been the occasional poster on the board who have breeds and or dogs that basically hunt at heel and if that is what suits them and their hunting style, power to them. It's when those same posters attend an event and afterward post that those big running dogs are ruining the sport of hunting that my hackles are raised.

There is plenty of room for all and I learn from many diverse opinions and methods, so welcome.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:35 am

stetson82 wrote: like I said DUNGOG FORUM RULES
LOL - That misspelling in this thread is way too funny! Was this a freudian slip or what? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:22 pm

The term Gundog is often used interchangably w/ the term Birddog. A more accurate use of the word involves the dogs mindset as opposed to the breed. A birddog hunts w/ only one thing on his mind- Birds! When he gets out of the truck, he is singlemindedy seeking bird scent. He doesn't give you a second thought until he's locked up on point. These are the dogs that run to the horizon and are highly prized by trialers and big country quail hunters.

A gundog on the other hand is a dog that hunts for the gun (you). He knows where his "gun" is at all times. Sometimes in tall cover, he'll spring into the air to catch a glimpse of where you are as he crosses his beat. This is the type of dog that learns to get behind a pheasant and push him toward you. The best flushing dogs are "gundogs", the best pointing dogs are "birddogs". There is quite a bit of overlap however. Some pointers pay too much attention to the gun and some flushing dogs don't pay enough. Some pointing dog hunters want their dogs to be "gundogs" and some springer field trialers want their competition dogs to be "birddogs".

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:38 pm

Dave wrote:The term Gundog is often used interchangably w/ the term Birddog. A more accurate use of the word involves the dogs mindset as opposed to the breed. A birddog hunts w/ only one thing on his mind- Birds! When he gets out of the truck, he is singlemindedy seeking bird scent. He doesn't give you a second thought until he's locked up on point. These are the dogs that run to the horizon and are highly prized by trialers and big country quail hunters.

A gundog on the other hand is a dog that hunts for the gun (you). He knows where his "gun" is at all times. Sometimes in tall cover, he'll spring into the air to catch a glimpse of where you are as he crosses his beat. This is the type of dog that learns to get behind a pheasant and push him toward you. The best flushing dogs are "gundogs", the best pointing dogs are "birddogs". There is quite a bit of overlap however. Some pointers pay too much attention to the gun and some flushing dogs don't pay enough. Some pointing dog hunters want their dogs to be "gundogs" and some springer field trialers want their competition dogs to be "birddogs".
Some interesting points but just don't think I could agree with the two definitions as stated. Trialers are looking for dogs that know where you are just like a foot hunter. The dogs may reach further but they still have to know and care where you are.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:13 am

The definitions and uses of the words bird dog, gun dog, shooting dog, etc. can at times be taken too narrowly. If you wanted to start a forum & were searching for a name that had not already been taken like "birddog", you too might end up with a forum name like "gundog forum". Who joins & participates is influenced significantly by the site owner, the moderators and the well respected pros & amateurs that share knowledge and provide direction to the forum. I wouldn't bother to over analyze the use and definition of "gundog" as applied to this forum.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it