Took pointers out on wild quail today

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Took pointers out on wild quail today

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:27 pm

I finally had a chance to get my dogs out and run them today on some wild quail. It has been too hot here during the day and too stormy in the evenings here. Today it was about 80 degrees, humid and occasionally overcast but we got out and got a good run in. We have been getting some decent rain in the evenings for about the last week, more rain than I can remember in at least 2 years.

Jeff and Annie both on point on some bobwhites

Here is Annie cooling off in a horse tank out where we train. She loves water more than any other pointer I have ever seen.

Here is Jeff on point on some blue quail

Here is Annie just about to lock up tight before a blue quail busts out of the cover. You can just barely see her in the cover.

cgbirddogs

Re: Took pointers out on wild quail today

Post by cgbirddogs » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:01 pm

Great photos, great dog work. I envy you. I have wild quail and chukar nearby, but its too hot and I'm worried to death about snakes.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:19 pm

Ya I kept freaking out on the sound of grasshopper wings today, thats how worried I was about snakes. :lol:
I was just glad it finally cooled down enough to give the dogs some exercise without darn near killing them. :)

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:04 am

cgbirddogs wrote:Great photos, great dog work. I envy you. I have wild quail and chukar nearby, but its too hot and I'm worried to death about snakes.
out in the yard yesterday with the Britt's- 4' snake came thru the fence- haven't seen a ratler yet- don't care to

Boomer

Post by Boomer » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:39 am

Not sure what your laws are on "working dogs on wild birds" in your state but here it is actully illegal to do so. I know its tough to just sit and wait till hunting season to pursue wild birds and use pen raised birds but this time of the year it can be detrimental to wild birds. Many young birds, some second hatch birds that get disturbed and coveys broke up can scatter birds away from the protection of adult birds. Just something to think about.....

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:46 am

Boomer where I work birds is a private ranch with lots of birds and I try to work the birds early enough in the day that they can always get back together before dark. Also yes there are some bobwhites, who I always happen to see in singles, on the ranch but mostly it is blues and they are hard to get broke up with pointing dogs so mostly I am working coveys that stay together even when they fly. It is basically a waste of time to work my dogs on pen raised birds unless you know some sort of pen raised bird that behaves similar to a blue quail. I don't.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:32 pm

Tommy, those are some nice looking pointers. I also envy you. I would be in paradise if I had access to a place to work dogs and hunt wild birds in significant numbers. I actually did years ago, but those days are long gone where I am from. :(

Good luck in the upcoming season,
Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:43 pm

Thanks Charlie and if you ever make it out to Oklahoma pm me and we can get together and run dogs or hunt. Good Luck to you as well.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:41 am

tommyboy72 wrote:Thanks Charlie and if you ever make it out to Oklahoma pm me and we can get together and run dogs or hunt. Good Luck to you as well.
I would love to take you up on that someday

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:18 am

Boomer wrote:Not sure what your laws are on "working dogs on wild birds" in your state but here it is actully illegal to do so. I know its tough to just sit and wait till hunting season to pursue wild birds and use pen raised birds but this time of the year it can be detrimental to wild birds. Many young birds, some second hatch birds that get disturbed and coveys broke up can scatter birds away from the protection of adult birds. Just something to think about.....
Boomer it is legal here beginning Saturday to run on wild birds anywhere. We are shut down from April to August to run on public lands of any kind but thats the only restriction. Your right on the young birds but we have hatches come off here so late that when the Nov opener hits we will still bump up some bumblebee birds in some coveys.

nwMOgsp

Post by nwMOgsp » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:41 am

Everything looks nice and green, should be some good cover for the fall and winter. Must be getting some good rain down there.

Jason

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:07 pm

Looking at the pics I gotta ask if that first shot is on the private land you mentioned. I KNOW that spot I swear.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:38 pm

Nice pics Tommyboy and cracking looking Pointers, they seem alot more robust than the dog i am seeing in the UK at the min, i will get hung for saying it but your strains seem to have a better confirmation.

Dave.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:21 pm

Duane I assure you that spot you are seeing is a private ranch called the Double S ranch outside of Texhoma, Ok. on Hwy 95 about 5 or 6 miles and I am one of the only people to have permission to hunt it and I am the only person who runs dogs on it. If you have ever crossed the Beaver River Bridge where 95 crosses County Road Double C and you have looked out the window then yes you may know the spot but it is private not public land. The ranch is actually owned by a doctor from Houston whose father used to be a large landowner in this area until the father passed away and passed the ranch on to his son who I mentioned lives in Houston but I just so happen to know the ranch manager who resides around here.

nwMOgsp yes we have had a really good year for rain. It has rained more here this year than it has in the last 2 years combined. Not so heavy it floods out nesting and thank the lord no hail but some decent rains enough to keep eggshells from getting dry and brittle and breaking when the hens lay on them.

Dave thanks for the compliments on the confirmation. I just so happen to have friends who are field trialers and trainers themselves so I get an opportunity at litters they produce themselves for themselves without many people knowing they have even bred a litter. They are not usually breeders but may produce a litter or 2 every year mostly they are trainers and trialers. The male came from Nitro Kennels in Missouri. I got him from a fellow who lives around here sort of third hand. He bought the dog decided to stop hunting and had never trained the dog and at 2 years I bought at a really good price and turned him into an excellent wild quail and pheasant dog. The downside is he will only hunt for me, he will not perform for anyone else. The female I bought out of Poker Straight Kennels in Boys Ranch, Texas down around Amarillo and that is the friend I mentioned who is a trialer/trainer and only produces a couple litters a year for his own use.

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:11 pm

I knew I had seen that place before!! Just so ya know I have been going to the panhandle since the 70s and hunted all over it the, Texhoma area included. My uncle was a pipeline welder so we had access to lots of ground all over the place, the birds in that pic I bet ya are descendants of ones we hunted in the 70s out there. My cousin FWIW used to be a ranch hand on the fathers spread before he passed away.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:42 pm

What a coincidence. Now there are only about 2 or 3 of us that actually have permission to hunt that and I am the only one who runs dogs there and the only one who scouts the birds so usually the other couple of guys come get me if they want to hunt that area. It held about 2 or 300 birds on that place about 3 years ago but with the drought we have been going through out here bird numbers are down a lot especially bobwhites but I am hoping for a real increase this year with the amount of rain we have been getting. I hope we can get some snow and cold weather this year as well. 3 years ago that is what kept them together in such large numbers but now you walk a heck of a lot more than you shoot. I am about the only one of us who hunts there that is a die hard bird hunter with good dogs so I keep going back even when numbers are down. And before anyone says anything there are plenty of birds there if you don't mind walking a huge area and with blues if it is warm you may get one or two birds out of a covey of 30 or more birds before they fly over the horizon but when it is cold they don't fly so far and you have a chance at singles and more than one opportunity at a covey. So no I am in no danger of wiping out the bird population by any means. :)

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:41 pm

Sounds like you have some quality dogs there Tommyboy, i realy like the high tail carrage.

Dave.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:55 pm

Thanks Dave I actually have some better pics of all 3 dogs that I took back in early July on some wild blue quail I can post for you if you'd like. I posted them on another thread but when I moved the pictures to a different folder in my photobucket account it lost the image address so they don't show up anymore.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:13 pm

That would be great if you dont mind Tommyboy, i love seeing your american strains of pointers, i am not a lover of the UK versions other than the GWP but your Pointers and GSP Just look class compared to ours, i am not saying ours dont have the hunting ability as they do, but the confirmation is definitely second best to the USA, i think its alot to do with the tail carrage being higher, it just looks so much more positive and imposing and i think our pointers are very lacking in being imposing, as i said other than our GWP who can be very imposing and lacking in nothing.

Dave.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:53 pm

Just because you asked so politely Dave here you go. I love showing off my dogs. :)
The dogs are actually on wild quail and pheasant in all of the pictures I posted.

And some of my English Setter for good measure.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:19 pm

With dogs like that, you should enjoy showing them off Tommyboy, They are a credit to you, well done and some nice pictures you have there.

Dave.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:58 pm

Thanks Dave I appreciate it and it makes hunting that much more enjoyable especially when you do a lot of hunting alone like I do.

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:45 pm

It like i always say, Hansome is as Hansome does and as long as the dogs hunt, looks dont matter, but we all know there is nothing like having both and by the looks of them pointers you do Tommyboy.

Dave.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:54 pm

Thanks Dave I appreciate the compliment and will pass it on to the girls and boy. :)

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:56 pm

Thanks Dave I appreciate the compliment and will pass it on to the girls and boy. :)