New Kennel Project

nitrex

New Kennel Project

Post by nitrex » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:01 pm

I started a new kennel project in May, but had to lay it aside for a few months to keep up at work. The last few evenings I have started up again and making progress. Here are the first two (2) kennels. I plan to make a total of 6 kennels with each one being 6' X 12'. When I finish the last bit on the other panels, I will get painting. I plan to use a premium red oxide primer to help with the rust problem. This is my first major welding/fabrication project, so it took some time, but I've been happy with the final outcome. I'll be setting them on a concrete slab that I hope to pour next week if I can get the new flight pen finished.

Nitrex

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Re: New Kennel Project

Post by Ayres » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:11 pm

You might want to consider adding a cross-brace about halfway up on the side panels. That's about the spot that a dog will hit the fence with their front paws when they jump up on it, and it might be nice to have some reinforcement there to keep the mesh from bowing out. I've seen a cross-brace like that on some custom kennels before, and I plan to have the fencing company put one in when I get mine up in a few weeks.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:20 am

looks like you are doing a great job. After you prime with the red oxide you may want to look at an epoxy enamel to spray on. Same stuff they use on oil tanks. (The big ens). I always thought Hammertite would be great but have not seen that the smaller sprayers would handle it. Maybe.

Also on my next kennel, when I do the concrete, I will put a 10" curb at each run so the urine and fecal matter does not get from one to the next and it will minimize the rust on the bottom of the kennel. Just put in a key way at each divider dimension and some verticle rebar. Then after it sets up form a 6" thick by 10 high curb level on the top, with crown. Also instead of a 1" pitch in 10 feet I will make it 2".

Any way looks great and the above is me thinking out loud.

Good luck.
Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:55 am

Kennels are looking good, wish I could weld that well.

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:08 am

Don't forget that when you pour your slab to do so on a slight slope so that they drain when you hose them out. Looks great though!!!

oakcreek

Post by oakcreek » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:59 pm

what material are you using

kylenicholas02

Post by kylenicholas02 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:15 am

Oakcreek-
Is that pointer you have for sale and as you avatar out of Nathan Phillips kennel? or whats the pedigree? He looks extremely similar to the pups Nathan's been putting out
KN

oakcreek

Post by oakcreek » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:42 am

Nope, he is a Sir Lancelotx L's special attitude (CH Honky tonk attitudex CH Sooner bandit), I really like the dog, but I am going to sell him because I have to many young dogs that need to be worked and hunted this fall.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:29 pm

oakcreek wrote:what material are you using
Hey Matt,

The frames are made out of 1.25" square tubing and the mesh is 2" X 4" horse panels. I used the 1.25" tubing to be able to use a lighter gauge steel and cut down on weight, but still have rigidity. The 12' panels are a little heavy, but I can still move them by myself. Besides, I don't plan to move them anytime soon. If you want to come by and see them, give me a call.

Nitrex

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:57 pm

Nitrex, that's a fine looking setter in your avatar!
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:06 pm

Man those look sweet.......I'll take the two ya got built......fur a trade....... :wink: :lol: .....Can't wait to see the finished product....

Chip

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:35 pm

midwestfisherman wrote:Nitrex, that's a fine looking setter in your avatar!

THANKS! His is out of Trails End Boom (Jerry Myers - Oklahoma) and CH Valedictorian. Valedictorian won his championship this Spring. My Pup is now about 15 months old. In the picture he is about 10-11 months. He is really a nice setter. He runs shooting dog, handles like a dream, has a cannon for a nose (like his dad), and I think has plenty of style! I hope to run him in some AFTCA trials this Fall.

Nitrex

wfkgsps

Post by wfkgsps » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:57 pm

Kennels are lookin' sharp! I second the curb and slope ideas already mentioned...you know what mine looks like.

midwestfisherman

Post by midwestfisherman » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:37 am

nitrex wrote:
midwestfisherman wrote:Nitrex, that's a fine looking setter in your avatar!

THANKS! His is out of Trails End Boom (Jerry Myers - Oklahoma) and CH Valedictorian. Valedictorian won his championship this Spring. My Pup is now about 15 months old. In the picture he is about 10-11 months. He is really a nice setter. He runs shooting dog, handles like a dream, has a cannon for a nose (like his dad), and I think has plenty of style! I hope to run him in some AFTCA trials this Fall.

Nitrex

Good luck with him in the trials. Keep us posted on how he does.
Image * Image

"Your best conservation tool is a well trained hunting dog"

terrylndrs

Post by terrylndrs » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:08 pm

Were did you find the 6' tall wire panels. The only ones I've found were 5'

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:40 pm

terrylndrs wrote:Were did you find the 6' tall wire panels. The only ones I've found were 5'
I used the 5' panels and added an extra 12" on the top to make 6'. This took me some time as I wanted them to look like a 6' panel. What I did was to weld the 12" to the 5' before welding them to the panel frames. This gave me a smoother transition. I'll try to take some close up pics when I finish painting and post them here. I've been told you can special order the 6' panels from companies that make them for zoos, but I didn't have much luck finding them - nor the funds to pay for a special order!!!

Nitrex