Cheap rawhide???

LaReineBritt

Cheap rawhide???

Post by LaReineBritt » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:54 pm

Does anyone know where i can get some cheap retreiver rolls rawhide at? the cheapest i found is 15 rolls for 12.99 at sams club. :?:

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Re: Cheap rawhide???

Post by BigShooter » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:20 pm

Menards used to have pretty cheap rawhide "bones".
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:22 pm

or- you could find out whos' deer hunting and make your own

LaReineBritt

Post by LaReineBritt » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:25 pm

"make my own" do you know how?

smoothbean

Post by smoothbean » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:56 pm

I would not give rawhide to your dog to chew on. Pieces come of and compact in your pup/dog taking veterinary treatment to remove. My vet says it's not a pleasant sight to watch the squeling pet as he get's an enema treatment to remove pieces of rawhide. Or the cost of surgery to get the really nasty clogs out. Nylabones are a much better choice, a little more expensive but could save a lot in the long run.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:32 am

smoothbean wrote:I would not give rawhide to your dog to chew on. Pieces come of and compact in your pup/dog taking veterinary treatment to remove. My vet says it's not a pleasant sight to watch the squeling pet as he get's an enema treatment to remove pieces of rawhide. Or the cost of surgery to get the really nasty clogs out. Nylabones are a much better choice, a little more expensive but could save a lot in the long run.
must be a magical thing- mine wouldn't like it if I suddenly stopped giving them-
suppose like in people some don't learn how to chew

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:35 am

LaReineBritt wrote:"make my own" do you know how?
quite a bit of work to remove all the hair- but not to hard to cure skins

rkelly

Post by rkelly » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:02 am

I wouldn't give rawhide anymore either. I have been giving it to my dogs for years, but just went through a partial bowel obstruction in my current dog due to it. It cost a pretty penny to figure out what it was. Luckily she passed it and no surgery was needed. The vet told me he has to go in and take rawhide out of numerous dogs a year. To me it just isn't worth the chance of a $2k vet bill or even worse the death of my dog.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:41 am

rkelly wrote:I wouldn't give rawhide anymore either. I have been giving it to my dogs for years, but just went through a partial bowel obstruction in my current dog due to it. It cost a pretty penny to figure out what it was. Luckily she passed it and no surgery was needed. The vet told me he has to go in and take rawhide out of numerous dogs a year. To me it just isn't worth the chance of a $2k vet bill or even worse the death of my dog.
good- maybe if folks listen there would be so much of it left that won't sell that we can get it for nothing

ummmmmmm- seems to me that rawhide- not the fake stuff- is down right digestible

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:52 am

Shadow wrote:ummmmmmm- seems to me that rawhide- not the fake stuff- is down right digestible
I think the issue is the size of the chunks that get swallowed, the total amount consumed & the length of time needed to digest it. It's hard to imagine that anyone that has allowed their dog to consume a large amount at one time hasn't seen undigested pieces in the fecal matter.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

rkelly

Post by rkelly » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:30 am

Vet said usually it passes. Though said if a piece gets lodged in there just right can block the passage of food into the small intestine temporarily and cause the tissue to start to die off. Thus at times surgery needs to be performed if the dog is having no bowel movements, not eating, and vomitting. I know it took my girl out for well over a week. She would barely get up and move for 2 days. You could see on the xray the mass of rawhide that was blocking the exit of food from the stomach. Just not worth the risk for me, I will find alternatives to keep her busy.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:42 am

I have always given rawhides, with no issues, but certainly understand the concerns. I have discovered over the last couple months, that deer antlers are a hit with all 3 dogs at my house. There is a recent thread on this on the shorthairs forum, and I'm not alone in this discovery. We cut about a 6" tine/section off to give. They don't stain, don't fracture, and are extremely long lasting. It takes forever for my hard chewing lab to wear down 1/2".

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:07 pm

rkelly wrote:Vet said usually it passes. Though said if a piece gets lodged in there just right can block the passage of food into the small intestine temporarily and cause the tissue to start to die off. Thus at times surgery needs to be performed if the dog is having no bowel movements, not eating, and vomitting. I know it took my girl out for well over a week. She would barely get up and move for 2 days. You could see on the xray the mass of rawhide that was blocking the exit of food from the stomach. Just not worth the risk for me, I will find alternatives to keep her busy.
well- I've been feeding mine WalMart rawhide chips for what- maybe 26 years- quite a few Britt's- never had one get something lodged- lets see- if we've been in a habbit of giving them two a day (unless out) and regularly had 3 or more Britt's who lived a good life to the age of at least 13.5, would seem to me and mine that it's quite safe and healthy- something about protien-

could be wrong though

gdog

Post by gdog » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:58 pm

smoothbean wrote:I would not give rawhide to your dog to chew on. Pieces come of and compact in your pup/dog taking veterinary treatment to remove. My vet says it's not a pleasant sight to watch the squeling pet as he get's an enema treatment to remove pieces of rawhide. Or the cost of surgery to get the really nasty clogs out. Nylabones are a much better choice, a little more expensive but could save a lot in the long run.
I thought the same thing too...but go do a search on Nylabones and see the number of folks who have had issues with that product as well(?)

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:30 am

Doctors have been telling people for years that eating too much meat clogs human bowels and can cause obstructions and colon cancer but I don't see too many people offering to give up eating meat. Just an excuse by the vet to do an expensive surgery and have folks pay out the butt because they love their dogs. I wonder how many wolves in the wild refuse to eat skin in the dead of winter because it might clog their bowels? :)

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:24 am

ahhhhhhhhh Tommy- so well put-

cracks me up- animal skins not digestable

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:36 am

I give mine the pressed rawhide bones. Get the big ones and cut into 3 pieces. Once a week to help clean the teeth.

djswizz

Post by djswizz » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:22 am

tommyboy72 wrote:Doctors have been telling people for years that eating too much meat clogs human bowels and can cause obstructions and colon cancer but I don't see too many people offering to give up eating meat. Just an excuse by the vet to do an expensive surgery and have folks pay out the butt because they love their dogs. I wonder how many wolves in the wild refuse to eat skin in the dead of winter because it might clog their bowels? :)
These "doctors" are selling "cleansing" or "detox" products when in fact, the human body is 100% capable of cleaning and removing crap itself - no pun intended. Detox is 100% a fad and has no basis behind it... Ask any REAL doctor and they'll say the same thing. In fact, detox diets are harmful to the body, if anything.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:43 pm

So, the debate over whether or not rawhide is healthy or not set aside, does anyone have any actual information to help the original poster out? I believe the question asked was where to purchase it at the best price, and not whether or not to purchase it at all.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:51 pm

Ayres wrote:So, the debate over whether or not rawhide is healthy or not set aside, does anyone have any actual information to help the original poster out? I believe the question asked was where to purchase it at the best price, and not whether or not to purchase it at all.
Steve,

I answered his question in my first response.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:06 pm

You might try Tractor Supply they sometimes have good deals on rawhide chew bones.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:11 pm

BigShooter wrote:Steve,

I answered his question in my first response.
Very true. The question asked for an answer, though, as to the best prices. And I'm thinking since the original poster said that they could find a bag of 15 for $12.99 they were looking for some more detailed pricing information to compare. Discussion can still be had, but let's have it to the benefit of the question asked.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

BDBUzi

Post by BDBUzi » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:23 pm

My dog loves the Dingo bones with meat in the middle. They're $3.12 at wally world. Kind of expensive for rawhide, but he's kind of spoiled... :D
He also loves pig ears. And I get those for $.99 at the local feed store.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:37 pm

="Ayres Very true. The question asked for an answer, though, as to the best prices. And I'm thinking since the original poster said that they could find a bag of 15 for $12.99 they were looking for some more detailed pricing information to compare.
It is not unusual for prices to vary by region, even within the same store chain. That's certainly what we find with dog food prices. Perhaps if respondants in the posters living area would provide store names & prices or if someone would provide internet sales information that would have greater validity than my prices in northern Minnesota.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:01 pm

Besides being a blockage and choking risk, rawhides do nothing for teeth and gums and most are from third world countries and filled with heavy metals like mercury and lead among other chemicals.

You can spend $15 on a Nylabone Galileo and never worry about an obstruction or broken tooth or having to replace it for years. Yes years.
You can stick them in the dishwasher too. They clean teeth and gums very well and help young dogs seat their teeth.

One of the best products on the market for a dog.