Pigeon lofts and cats

scott_r

Pigeon lofts and cats

Post by scott_r » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:45 pm

Im going to be building a pigeon loft, Ive got my supplies ordered from LCS and was wondering how one protects pigeons from cats( I have a major cat problem)? I assume that pigeon lofts have a swing door or something of the likes to allow them out of the loft? That being said, how does one prevent a cat from jumping up and climbing in the bird house?? Im a complete newbie to pigeons... so please bear with me, even better yet give me some advice :D

Cheers!!

bmacinok

Re: Pigeon lofts and cats

Post by bmacinok » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:23 am

You have to build in a door of some type to close off the loft. I only allow my pigeons to fly right before sunset, that way they get to fly but they don't do it for long and they come back to roost, then I close it up tight. Well, almost always close it up... The time I left it open I lost 3 birds to a raccoon. I just set a trap night before last and now have Rocky in the trap, ready to be relocated. I am sure there are more as he is only about half grown, so will continue with the process. He was stealing my ducks that are in a wire dog cage this time around. I don't know a fool-proof way to keep out the critters other than a complete lock-down of the coop. I had thought of putting some kind of e-fence around the opening so that any critters that would try to get in would be grounded and get shocked, and the birds would not, but it is just not worth the hassle. I just instead fly the birds in the evening and shut them up at dark.

bm

scott_r

Post by scott_r » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:13 pm

Thanks for the help!!

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:53 pm

Same here. I have a slide in piece of plexi glass (to let in additional light) over my bob door when the birds aren't out. I always let the birds out hungry, and haven't used them farther than 1-2 miles from home. Usually they're back inside within an hour or two and I can close off the bob door again. The worst is when I put new birds out, or lengthen their distance. Then it might be many hours before they return or even overnight. One took 1.5-2 days to return, but I don't have a lot of predators, so I was okay leaving the plexi out. If I did have a lot of predators, I would've put the door back in, to save the majority of birds...and waited to open it again until the MIA bird was seen again.

gunner

Post by gunner » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:14 pm

Attaching aluminum flashing on the outside walls of my loft has stopped all climbing predators from crawling up to the entrance door. I used to be plagued by possums, coons and cats. No more since attaching the flashing.

Cooper hawks are another story.

rommel

Post by rommel » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:23 am

Best bet against cats are drahthaars....Mine can not get enough!!!!

bmacinok

Post by bmacinok » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:19 am

So far this week I have caught 2 coons and a possum, so there are enough critters around. I probably will stop trapping as I cannot get them all, so will just have to ensure that I keep the coop closed up tight at night and my ducks in another enclosure.

bm