collars

twofeathers

collars

Post by twofeathers » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:27 am

I am wondering where people buy nice collars with a riveted id plate. The ones I've bought (can't think of what to call it) have a thin piece of metal that goes through the holes for adjusting and my dog has been bending them. There are plenty of online stores but was wonderng what you may have good luck with. I would like it to be fairly heavy duty and not too pricey. Thanks.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Re: collars

Post by Neil » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:46 am

The best I have found are sold by Night Lite (they have a web site), they come in different collars (in addition to my Britts, I have Boykins that all look a like at more than 20 feet), I think they are 6 bucks with name plate, and the buckle is riveted, not sewed. Mine last about 5 years.

Neil

jbr03

Post by jbr03 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:55 am

dont know if you are around any horse people, but they usually have the "in" with a tack shop. i would check with any place that sells horse tack. i get my collars with the plates already on, but its VERY simple if you can find someone who can etch whatever you want on the metal piece. the ones i have you can poke holes thru the collar with the studs that attach the plate. on the back of the studs are 2 prongs i guess you could call them. just bend them out and youre set. you dont need any special tools at least.
Brian

live4point

Post by live4point » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:46 am

Lion country supply-They have lots of collars and nametags also,they will even attach the nametag on the collar before they send it if you want free of charge-I bought a couple of nice collars yesterday,leather with reflective inserts on sale for $3.99,and some nametags for $1.99. There is a click on link on this site.

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:58 am

I like the collars from Gun Dog Supply, they come in a variety of colors and the name plates are riveted on.

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:29 am

the ones i have you can poke holes thru the collar with the studs that attach the plate. on the back of the studs are 2 prongs i guess you could call them. just bend them out and youre set. you dont need any special tools at least.
I'm not a huge fan on the way these attach. I've had two different dogs get scraped and/or irritated by these bent over tabs. i like the smooth riveted ones much better. JMO

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:45 am

The ones that I would recommend are at Dog's Unlimited. These are duralon collars that stand up real well. We have had two since 2001 and they still look brand new. They are on the dogs 100% of the time even when hunting. The only reason that I would replace the collar is if I wanted a different color. The people at Dog's Unlimited are great to work with.

Jeff

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:57 am

I like the Lion Country Supply 1" Leather feel O ring collar. I've used their Day glow collars but they seem to deteriorate when in bright sun after a few years.

BDBUzi

Post by BDBUzi » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:28 am

I got mine from an outfitter here in Utah that does custom tack.
His website is: http://www.snowcanyonoutfitters.com/dog_products.htm

Not the most inexpensive, but by far the best quality I've ever seen on a collar and he makes an awesome leather pinch collar as well.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:20 pm

Dogs Unlimited. I like the Duralon collars also. They come in various colors and are only $11 each. The name plate is riveted right on. My dogs swim a lot and the collars stand up to getting wet.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH