Hunting in Alabama

High Brass

Hunting in Alabama

Post by High Brass » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:14 pm

I have a job oppertunity in Birmingham, Alabama. Can anyone tell my if there are any wild bird hunting, or dog training oppertunities near by? Will we like living there? Do you know if there is a small town near by we may enjoy living in.
Thanks a lot
Bob
Hard Scrabble Maggie
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

"[He] hopes to own a dog that has pointing instinct, and bird-finding brains. The dog that will hunt for you, not the dog you have to hunt for. The better type of English Setter....[is] the dual-type: Which means, the kind that are fit to shoot over in the field on game, and the kind that are fit to look at, or have about the home, the balance of the year and be appreciated."

George H. Ryman
Ryman Gundog Kennels

rapid fire

Re: Hunting in Alabama

Post by rapid fire » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:45 pm

I don't know about the hunting, but my brother and his family live just north of Birmingham in a town called Trussville. They lived in birmingham for years and did lots of research before deciding to call Trussville, Home.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:07 pm

Trussville....Home of Merkel. Don't think there is much in the way of birdhunting. May be a few birds around.
brenda

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:10 pm

dont know about alabama but my uncle lives in hattesburg ms and he has to buy quail so he can hunt his dogs but besides the hunting. i love it down there lots of stuff to do and good people
kick'em up knock'em down

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:17 pm

Trussville would be a great place to live. I gave up bird hunting and started running NASTRA. It has been several years since we had a huntable wild bird population in Alabama.

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:28 am

There are a good bit of plantations and you can find birds on public land about like south Georgia just have to go out hit the field and do some walking.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:54 am

Not much in the way of quail, but turkey and deer are outstanding!

For example: bow hunting - October 15th - January 31st (3.5 months!), 2 deer a day, no tagging, no checking in, no "big game" license just $14.50 hunting license, plentiful paper company land to lease.

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:42 pm

Lived in Alexandria AL for a while. Birds not many, but if you enjoy fishing, there are lots of great lakes you can hit. Running the dogs around that area was tuff there is a lot of a viney plant called "kudzu" or something like that. Under the right weather conditions it can grow a foot a day. Personally I would not want to live in Birmingham. Very high crime rate. Our freinds from there have had their house robbed twice. Luckily the children were not home as they get off the bus about 20min before parents get home. Both times it was the middle of the day while they were at work. The kids now go to a freinds until parents are home. They are looking to relocate out of town. If your in to shooting guns almost anything goes down there. They even have events for fully automatic shoots. Some of the best B-BQ I've ever had was from there. People hunt deer with dogs, not my cup of tea. A lot of freindly people there too, if you can understand what they are saying... Ha Ha. I'm from midwest originally did get to where I missed snow. Oh and by the way if you drink beer better buy it on Saturday cant on Sunday. And you better know about Nascar and college football or you will be listening a lot. Just a few thoughts hope it helps.