Garmin Astro dog???

1doogie

Garmin Astro dog???

Post by 1doogie » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:11 am

I'm in the market for a hand held GPS. I figured that if I was getting a hand held unit why not get one that will track my dog while hunting. How does the GPS unit itself compare with other ones!! EASY to use????? OR is it more for only using with the dog?!?! can I use it in the car for road map direction?? download topo maps etc?? do you guys like or dislike them!! And the biggest factor Are they worth the $$$$$ They seem quite expensive!!! if they did not track you dog and you bought just the GPS where would the GPS rate
I'm in the market for a hand held GPS. I figured that if I was getting a hand held unit why not get one that will track my dog while hunting. How does the GPS unit itself compare with other ones!! EASY to use????? OR is it more for only using with the dog?!?! can I use it in the car for road map direction?? download topo maps etc?? do you guys like or dislike them!! And the biggest factor Are they worth the $$$$$ They seem quite expensive!!! if this model did not track your dog and you bought just the GPS where would the GPS rate???

ONE other question that I've been wondering, I see that there are plenty of map downloads, Do they have mapping of state game lands?????

lightonthebay

Re: Garmin Astro dog???

Post by lightonthebay » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:01 am

1doogie, I like mine very much for non-dog use. There are holders you can mount on your dashboard for road use; however, the display is rather small compared to a dedicated vehicle GPS. Therefore, when one uses it for interstate travel you better have good eyes or have a navigator/passenger do the map reading for you. My eyes are pretty good so I can use it alone and the unit has a faint beeper for warnings on upcoming turns or points of interest. The Astro will not talk to you. The city navigator software is available for about 100 dollars for data on virtually all the points of interest in this country including exits, gas stations, stores, restuarants, parks, etc. The Topo maps can be purchased or equally good maps are available free on the internet. The Topo maps are pretty good and they do show state land, BLM, and forest service all in color. The Astro is a top of the line GPS that is virtually the same as the Rhino model that Garmin offers. It is a tough GPS which is water resistant. It is easy to use in my opinion. I have two of them that I use for wildland firefighting with transmitters mounted atop the crews packs I can map out circumfrences of fire line/acreage and keep track of my crew when we must separate just as one would a dog. And as a bonus when the crew sits down out of sight to avoid work it shows them on point. I use the old orange DC 20 model transmitter for fire work and the newer DC 30 transmitter for the dog.

My Astros were worth the money for me. I call my Hanna (DD) "Hanna the space dog" when she is decked out in her transmittters and antennae. she knows that when the antennae is strapped on her she is going to the field.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:47 pm

i use mine for non dog use in the off season, the antenna comes off so it looks exactly like the rhino gps units, just remember to put it back on. first time out in while this weekend, forgot the antenna and it looses dog contact and about 200yds. as easy to use as any other gps. for the $ you can get a nicer gps unit that doesn't track your dog but as far as basic gps functions it has everything you need.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:47 pm

deleted double :)

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:44 am

If you are already on the market for a hiking/outdoors GPS, AND you own a bird dog, then BY ALL MEANS get it! If you are looking for a GPS for the car, you probably want a car-type one too.