pedigree what do you think

TEX-X

pedigree what do you think

Post by TEX-X » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:18 am

i got this pup from a friend who was going through a divorce. he had to get rid of him so i gave him 100 bucks (he wanted to give him to me for free but i thought i would help him out) anyways i thought i could get a few of ya'll with some experience to take a look at his pedigree and let me know what you think. He has a very very very strong prey drive, picks up the training very quickly, and cooperates.....most of the time. i may try taking him to a few tests. he is a very strong swimmer and loves the water. i should change his name to minn kota because of the wake he kicks up! Just give me an honest opinion on him. I really don't expect much from his pedigree, but, i am curious.

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1960

TEX-X

Re: pedigree what do you think

Post by TEX-X » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:35 pm

come on guys...it's not going to hurt my feelings

bruin

Post by bruin » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:56 pm

Don't meant the dog can't hunt, but as far as the pedigree its below average

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:06 pm

that's what i figured... the dog seems to be coming along nicely...i'm not that concerned with his pedigree... he really is fun to work with. i just wanted some opinions on it.... anyone else?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:20 pm

I agree. There's no evidence on the pedigree that this is a hunting line (JH doesn't count for me.) Dogs in this pedigree may have hunted and hunted well, there's just no evidence through testing/trialing. jmo I wouldn't pay $800. for a pup with this pedigree but for $100. who knows, you might have a winner.Let him chase those wild birds this fall and soon enough you'll know what you've got.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:32 pm

FC AFC ERBES GUNFIRE FC AFC ERBES SKEETSTRIKER DIXIELAND JESSIE JAMES SH were these considered hunting lines? i mean test wise... i honestly have no clue how to read a pedigree....never had any use for one.... and also does anyone have any info on a MOESGAARD line? more opinions are appreciated. i've had him on quail for a month now. and he snaps on point as soon as he comes down wind and he's steady to flush..... it took me a while to get him steady... he wanted to break and chase.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:02 pm

What dogs have you listed with their titles? I didn't see them on the pedigree posted. How old is your pup?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:11 pm

orion is 16 or 17 months. i've only had him for 3 months and he is whoa trained. he heels, he is trained to come and quarter on whistle and is broke to flush. let me try to put the pedigree here on the forum

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:17 pm

table.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Meller

Post by Meller » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:27 pm

Thats only a third generation pedigree, and it does'nt mean that the dog is'nt bred well; it may mean that a lot of the dogs in the pedigree were'nt campained, so therefor no titles attached to thier names. I would judge the pup on it's own meritt's, and it sounds like it's doing great. :)

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:40 pm

thanks for the opinions...he's a good dog and even if he doesn't turn out to be a spectacular hunting dog i'll be just as happy having him as my house mutt.... as long as he stays out of the garbage... anyone else?

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:23 am

The Charan prefixed dog is from around here,The lady that owned that particular kennel had Setters and Shorthairs,non show oriented field dogs in both breeds she trialed the setters I'm not sure about the shorthairs.My setter descended from her line and was the #1 FT dog in the country a few years back with a similar no frills pedigree.The only thing that would concern me is the motherX son breeding on the bottom.I support line breeding theory but that's to close for my liking.

Duh, I just looked at your Avatar, Oak Harbor, Charan kennels was in Woodinville,The last time I talked to her was about 4 years ago.My freind actually visited her place when she still had dogs about 10 years ago,He said the kennel office was chucked full of ribbions and trophies from field trials.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:54 pm

FWIW, from what you have said, it sounds to me like you have a real nice dog. I wouldn't worry about the pedigree. I would look at a pedigree before I bought a pup if I did not know the sire and dam, but hey if he is doing what a bird dog is supposed to do, sounds good to me.
Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:10 pm

Yikes I just looked at the pedigree AGAIN either somethings not right as been entered or that bottomside is truly hideous, Father to daughter to get a son and then the son bred back to the mother YEEEEESH talk about doubling up on the inbreeding,Cementing favorables and unfavorables at break neck speed there.

larue

Post by larue » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:39 am

I have yet to see a pedigree point a bird,if you like your dog who cares what the pedigree is behind the dog.

PkerStr8Tail

Post by PkerStr8Tail » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:04 am

larue wrote:I have yet to see a pedigree point a bird,if you like your dog who cares what the pedigree is behind the dog.
On the opposite side of this, just because a dog can point and find birds doesn't mean it should be bred. The idea is to futher the breed long term. If you have to go back three generations for proof that the dogs used in breeding are passing on the desirable traits, this is not good.