Need help with choosing collar

10r

Need help with choosing collar

Post by 10r » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:38 am

Hey all.. Just looking for some info regarding e-collars.. Have not the foggiest idea about them and am looking for opinions on what everyone is running... I know there are lots out there and everyone has their own opinions but just looking for something that would be appropriate for upland use.. perhaps something with built in beeper on it or do most people just add another collar as the beeper??

thanks in advance...

twofeathers

Re: Need help with choosing collar

Post by twofeathers » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:51 am

I use a Sportdog 1800 and added a beeper. I've had it for three years no problems. Originally bought for my beagles now use it on GSP. I've dropped it in a stream had it in my front pocket when I broke through ice, dropped it numerous times it's pretty rugged. Only had to replace one set of prongs for $8. Customer service was helpful. Had innotek before that, threw it away.

dugger13

Post by dugger13 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:19 am

I have a dogtra with the beeper built into the collar. absolutely love it. I think it is s 2802. Best collar i have ever owned. The collar stays in place very good. You don't have to worry about the beeper flopping over to one side and constantly adjusting it. They are very lightweight, compact, small collars. The transmitter has a digital readout of the Stim level which is nice too.

Justd

Post by Justd » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:55 pm

I havent used many collars but i have tri tronics with an added beeper and i love it, they also have a model with a beeper that can be control from the remote i havent used it but i love my tri tronics.

SierraMtnBrits

Post by SierraMtnBrits » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:01 pm

We also use a SportDog 1800, 2 receivers. LOVE it, never have had a problem with it. Customer service has been excellent. Only thing, the rubber covers where you plug it in to charge it sometimes break off. Customer service has sent us replacements at no charge. Love the collar and reccommend it to anyone. Also, same as Two Feathers, we threw our innotek away. Was not happy with that. Hope this helps!
~ Yvonne

Happiness is a house full of Brittanys!
www.sierramtnbrittanys.weebly.com
Home to Bang, Trip and Sheldon
Rancho Haven, Nevada

NNV Rebel's Blazn Lil' MissFire JH (Bang)

NNV Bang's Triple Threat Tri (Trip)
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:39 pm

Tri-Tronics,Whatever model suits your needs.Made In America,Quality,Excellent customer service.
Dog On Point!!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:44 pm

I started with Tri tronics tried sportdog dogtra and DT went through them and my Tri Tronic I had out lasted all of them together...
So yes you will pay a bit more for tri tronics but as already stated they are American Made and they use American Made components..I have taken the Tri Tronics factory tour was pretty neat to watch how they even build some of the components right there
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

bossman

Post by bossman » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:02 am

In my opinion, if you want a beeper function (which I like) get a DT. Have been using one for three years( heavy use, two dog unit) with no problem. Love the "jump and rise function". Beeper is a deep tone and easily heard and controlled from the transmitter. Dogtra a good second choice. If a beeper function is not needed...go with TT.

setterbud

Post by setterbud » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:07 am

don't forget to check out ebay and Craigs list, some used ones on there as well. remember you get what you pay for, Innotek have a cheap price for a reason.

here is a good source
http://www.gundogsupply.com/dog-trainin ... guide.html

Hooks and bullets

Post by Hooks and bullets » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:58 pm

Had the Tri-tronics Sport Upland, sent it back in countless times for repair.
My hunting partners have had similar problems with Tri-tronics.
We've all switched to Dogtra and glad we did.

10r

Post by 10r » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:12 am

thanks guys..lots of options out there for sure...... appreciate all the responses...

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:39 am

10r -

The vast, VAST majority of dog training professionals in my area use Tritronics e-collars. Some use their collars more in a year than most hunting dowg owners will in a lifetime. They can buy any unit they want and prefer TT.

I have a Flyway Special that I have used to train and maintain about eight dogs over the last fifteen years or so. Other than the rechargeable battery failing to hold a charge about every five years or so, I have had ZERO problems with this unit. I also have a DT collar as a spare... I almost never use it, unless I am working with two dogs and a training or hunting partner. I do not like/trust the intensity adjustment wheel on the DT. Not positive enough for me. Also, inall fairness I have gotten so used to the TT that I can use it by feel. The DT I have to look at before I hit a button(which means I have to take my eyes off the dog).

Opinions vary, mileage may differ.

RayG

Saltriver

Post by Saltriver » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:14 pm

since i switched to tt pro 100, i have never looked back!
justin

10r

Post by 10r » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:36 pm

thanks for the input ray.. appreciate it.. i think i'm gonna go with the tt and see how it works out.. just need to figure out which model now...

GSPOwner

Post by GSPOwner » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:25 pm

Had SportDog and it was nothing but trouble...then went back and forth on whether to get TT or Dogtra and ended on the Dogtra and love it.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:27 pm

I have a Classic 70 that is about 10 years old and still works like a charm, I have a flyaway special that is 6-7 years old and no problems, I have a sport dog dual dog that I have had for a few years, and also no problems. I like all of the collars for different reasons, I like the sport dog because its level one is lower than either of the TT's. The next one I am going to try is the sport dog 2500, I have found the need for more levels when doing FF with my dogs.

Now I need to knock on some wood or I will have all kinds of problems.