Handheld GPS

rkelly

Handheld GPS

Post by rkelly » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:40 am

I am looking at getting a handheld GPS for grouse hunting in the MN woods. Just wondering if anybody has any recommendations. I am sick of worrying about where the car is all the time, and having to backtrack. Also how do they work when you are in the middle of the woods. I have never used one. Thanks

gar-dog

Re: Handheld GPS

Post by gar-dog » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:44 am

They are great! awesome! But as a gunner, pony up and get the Garmin Astro. It does so much.

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:17 pm

garmin cant go wrong with it. and it has a thing on it when you go start a new hunt. it will ask you if you wanna mark the location of the truck. so it will take you right back to it. and it shows you how far the dog is. what the dog is doing. and how fast he his moving. it does everything you would want it to do.
kick'em up knock'em down

dugger13

Post by dugger13 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:47 pm

i second the garmin astro. i don't have one, but when i add up how much i spent on beepers and a handhelds, it isn't that much different.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:45 pm

rkelly,

I bought my first handheld gps this year - the Garmin etrex Venture HC. Its the only one I've used, so I can't say how it compares to any others.

I can, however, say that it has helped me tremendously during the scouting process. What's more, I was able to download Google Earth and import my waypoints and tracks. So after my day in the woods, I'd crash on the couch and look over my route through the woods.

Just make sure your comfortable using it before you venture too far into the woods.

Grant

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:13 pm

The base Garmin eTrex are about $100.00, and will work fine for what you want.

But as said for another $450 or so you can have an Astro, and not only will you not get lost, neither will your dogs. Last I checked Amazon had the best prices.

Neil

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:11 am

i forgot to say. you can get a extend antenna. for the astro. its magnetic. and it goes on top of your truck. and it gives you more rang. they are 25 or so dollars for got what i paid for it. but just so you guys know if you need.
kick'em up knock'em down

djloder

Post by djloder » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:53 am

Well how about we get out and find some grouse (instead of just talking about it) and you can see the astro in action. So far I'm loving it as long as it dosent distract me from hunting.
Derek Lodermeier
TR GUN Derrick de L'Etoile du Nord NA-PZ1TAN http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=2204

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:43 am

The astro is a nice unit. Also if there are a couple of you in your hunting party looking to get sone I'd suggest considering the Garmin Rhino 120 or 530 hcx. These have the two way radio option and the 530 has weather radio capabilities.

On price I always go to nextag.com and they will find the best internet based price out there! Good luck.