GWP vs. WHV

Justd

GWP vs. WHV

Post by Justd » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:40 pm

Hey everyone i was just wondering what some of the main difference's between the german wirehair and the wirehaired vizlas. i may be adding a new dog and just kinda of like the wirehairs but dont know a whole lot about them. I would just like to hear some comments on either breed. and i was also wondering what the price range on these breeds may be.

hpvizslas

Re: GWP vs. WHV

Post by hpvizslas » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:03 pm

Wirehaired Vizslas are still considered a rare breed here in the US. My wife and I have been waiting on a pup for a while from a breeder that hunts their line and does NAVHDA with them. The ones that I met are a little more laid back than the smooth vizsla. They seem to be good family dogs. I don't know much more than that now. Once we get ours I can let you know more. The price range that we are looking at is $1K.

Jeff

Sir Buckwheat

Post by Sir Buckwheat » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:37 am

If you're wanting a wirehaired dog try one of these. You won't be dissapointed...

http://www.cedarwoodgundogs.com/

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:40 am

I have to say, these types of comparisons always miss the biggest issue with a breed such as the WHV, and that is gene pool size and genetic issues within the breed. The WHV gene pool in the US is tiny. The result of tiny gene pools generally is a great deal of inconsistency in the pups that are produced. So out of a particular breeding between two fairly good looking parents, you might get pups with everything from zero coat to fluffy wooly coat, good temperaments to bad, and an incidence of genetic flaws such as dysplasia. You might expect a good deal of size variance as well, and alot of variance as to performance in the field.

It is just not possible to compare one breed to another without taking into consideration the state of development of the breed, which determines to some extent the degree to which one can expect a breeding to produce pups that are true to type. The state of the WHV breed might be different over in Europe, but that is pretty much the way it is here.

Of course, now I will get all kinds of emails from WHV fans. If someone in the US is doing a good job of breeding WHV's that are true to type, more power to them. But that effort is not easy, and requires a good deal of testing and culling of pups. Culling meaning putting down or neutering fairly ruthlessly, pups that are not true to type or are flawed, so they will not generate more gene pool issues.

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:55 am

John,

No arguement from me on what you said about the gene pool being small and the issues that would be seen because of that small amount of genetic input available. It is hard to compare any one breed to another without having a bias on either side. I liked what I saw in the HWV's that I looked at but realize that there could be a difference in the pups thrown.

The WHV's that I have seen have been recent imports and there are still issues overseas with a large varience on what is being produced. So even looking at different breedings, it would be a crap shoot on what you get. This is a young breed that is being developed.

With that being said, each of the breeds that we see got a start somewhere. It will take development and dedication to make the WHV a choice hunter in the future. The thing that must be remembered is that the WHV and the V are versitile breeds, they are meant to do many things. The problem comes when someone tries to put one breed above the other without comparing apples to apples. This is what causes many disagreements/discussions.
I am looking forward to giving the WHV a try and seeing what it can become. It will probably never match up with a pointer or Lab as a specialty dog but it should be able to do what is asked of it.

Jeff

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:01 am

If I was committed to being part of the evolution of the WHV, I'd go for it. If, OTOH, I wanted a dog for what it could do for me and just liked the cool V color on the WHV, I'd swallow the cool and call Brenda at Walnut Hill Kennel and get a GWP pup out of Amos.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:17 pm

My wife loves the look of the WHV, I kind of do, but I like my smooth coat.

I agree with wagonmaster, when looking at WHV, you really have to be careful b/c of the limited gene pool here. I am not saying there are no quality dog out there,it just will be more difficult in that breed than the other.

brandon

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:51 pm

from my understanding, the GWP was used to get the wire coat in the WHViz... but they are totally different breeds, and I would expect they would have totally different temperaments.

If you are looking for a gwp, look for someone with experience with the breed and a line of working dogs. Unfortunately it's a breed that has become a bit scattered, so be sure to find a line with proven dogs behind it. Brenda's Amos has a great line behind him....

I also love the looks of the Wire Vizsla... and if I had the time and years to put into a breed, I could go for it.

But, I'm a GWP person.. so doubt I would want to go for an outside breed at this point in my life. But it would be fun!
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

h-man64

Post by h-man64 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:45 pm

I think WHVs are great.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:39 pm

Hopefully Ron Wilson has a litter due by Amos...Probably should know soon...
brenda

Gezer

Post by Gezer » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:34 pm

I bought a pup from Ron a couple years ago....he is a fantastic hunting machine (with a super personality)...He now belongs to a good friend of mine who hunts Dove, Quail, and Ducks with him..I have also been around Amos...seen him do some fantastic field work...he is a great dog...If I was looking for a well breed GWP I would definately go to Ron

wilsonwires

Post by wilsonwires » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:29 am

The female that I bred to Amos (a son of Backwoods Sure Shot Wilson) is a grandaughter of Backwoods Sure Shot Wilson. This is the first line breeding of Wilsons line and it should be awesome.
Ron Wilson
Wilson Wirehairs
Dallas, Georgia

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:35 am

Ron,

What color is the female? And what color are you expecting?

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

wilsonwires

Post by wilsonwires » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:59 am

Ezzy the female is a liver roan. I am expecting a mixture of liver roan and white. Her sire is white. He is Wilsons Mad Maxwell the 2007 UFTA national Amateur Champion and everyone knows Wilson Famous Amos. The litter pedigree is located on perfect pedigrees.com #2247. You can see the female on my website. wilsonwires at netkennels.com.
Ron Wilson
Wilson Wirehairs
Dallas, Georgia

briguyz71

Post by briguyz71 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:32 pm

Ron,
I fixed the website on your profile.
Brian

wilsonwires

Post by wilsonwires » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:35 am

Thanks Brian - Shauna was going to fix it but has not got around to it.
Ron Wilson
Wilson Wirehairs
Dallas, Georgia

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:19 am

I don't have any experience with GWPs, though I owned a GSP before I got my Wirehaired Vizsla.

Agree with all the talk about the limited gene pool in the US, as well as the variation in coat and quality but that can only be fixed with time and thoughtful breeding by everyone involved. The sire of the litter Winnie came from is from the UK.

I can't speak really on the hunt quality of my dog, as I'm not an experienced hunter nor have I ever trained a bird dog before (my GSP was a companion). And I'm taking my time with her. But at 14 months or so, I can say a few things about her.

Her temperament is a dream. She is affectionate, playful, mellow, always has been. But if I keep the training fun she gets very excited about working too. She is eager to please and a VERY fast learner.

So far I've had a lab, a GSP and Winnie. She will NOT be my last Wirehaired Vizsla!