N or S Dakota?????????????

collinedward

N or S Dakota?????????????

Post by collinedward » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:09 am

Planning a trip in October for North or South Dakota which state do you guys suggest?

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Re: N or S Dakota?????????????

Post by BigShooter » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:51 am

S has more pheasants, with N it might be a bit easier to get on land without paying some sort of a fee. S pheasant opens at noon each day, N opens first thing in the morning. You'll still have to do some research to find the better bird areas in each state where you can get on public hunting grounds or obtain permission to hunt private land without a fee. Most of the prime areas are pretty well posted up so you might want to go to "second tier" areas where you may still be able to limit out if that's your goal. Both States are great places to watch the dogs work!
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

collinedward

Post by collinedward » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:41 pm

Any other states that anyone would suggest closer to Ohio?

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:58 pm

Ruffed grouse in the UP, northern WI or northern MN, pheasants in southern MN or Western IA
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

ohiohuntinweim

Post by ohiohuntinweim » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:39 pm

Just got back from ND Sharpie hunting. Itsa not too bad of a drive (20hrs to where I was), reports from state upland guy is all bird numbers are down. I can tell you i ran into more than i have in Ohio, but this was my only trip there so I don't have a history to compare too!!
Jeremy

"Going to the woods is going home." -John Muir

DrahthaaRunner

Post by DrahthaaRunner » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:56 pm

I really like ND better there seems to be a lot more public land as previously posted. If money is not a too big of deal I would hunt SD because you can get on privite land with more birds then you have ever seen. The first time I was in SD about 100 birds or so flushed up in front of me and didnt even get a shot off I was in so much awe. One thing we do is wait for the guides to bust up the birds and see where they fly and hunt the ditches in these areas afterwards, you get a lot of birds doing this, and ditch hunting is leagal. ND you will be able limit out everyday but you might have work for it a little harder. ND also has better waterfaul hunting if you wanted to hunt ducks and geese. I prefer ND but we are also on a budget every year.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:30 am

DrahthaaRunner wrote:ND you will be able limit out everyday but you might have work for it a little harder.
This is accurate only if you hit the right spots & if the bird numbers are up like they were the last few years. When bird numbers are way up local residents get all the birds they want and my experience is they are more likely to grant permission to hunt their property. This year overall bird numbers are well down. I just wouldn't want to be the one that guaranteed you getting your limit every day. Both Dakotas are still great places to visit & work the dogs.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

Brad

Post by Brad » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:19 am

South dakota opens at noon each day for the first week only, after that it opens at 10:00 am for the rest of the season.

We're planning a trip in October & I just talked to my cousin in SD & the only thing he said about October was that there is a good chance the corn will still be standing. But, it the only time that works for us. We are also going in December (our other 5 day period). Other than that, we will be hunting here (North Dakota).

You might limit out easily in ND, but I think that will be in the southwest or northwest part of the state. This will be our first year in South Dakota so I'm hoping for a lot of birds!!!!

Brad

collinedward

Post by collinedward » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:40 pm

I was leaning towards ND, there season starts Oct 7th and I have to be back in Ohio by the 20th.. Either state is better than Ohio...

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:45 pm

Just a reminder to check the ND regulations before you finish your plans. I believe the ND pheasant opener is Oct. 10th. There is a delayed opener area that includes a couple of counties SW of Williston, ND and that area doesn't open until Oct. 17th. Also regarding public land access please note: In accordance with state law, nonresidents are not allowed to hunt on Game and Fish Department wildlife management areas or conservation PLOTS (Private Land Open To Sportsmen) areas from October 10-16, 2009. Those State owned or State funded access areas are reserved for residents only during the first week of the season.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

Brad

Post by Brad » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:18 am

Finding open (free) land to hunt can be tough that first week for non-residents in North dakota.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:44 am

If you are planning to hunt in ND on PLOTS land or other state-invovled land, you need to wait till the 17th to be there.

Greg J.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:09 am

what impact has all the oil drilling in ND, particularly around Williston, had on the birds?

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:24 am

Oil wells? Haven't seen that first one where we go.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:46 am

that part of North Dakota is being drilled heavily, lots of trucks, rigs, equipment....has to have some impact but its a big state...the greenies pretty much shut down the Piceance in Colorado because of impact on wildlife, glad i sold out in 2006

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:13 pm

You likely know this already but even though a ND non-resident can't hunt the above lands during the 10th-16th, unless prohibited, you can hunt the grasslands of the FEDERAL waterfowl production areas or any other federal lands. Federal waterfowl production areas require the use of steel shot only. You can't have so much as one lead shell in your possession when within their boundaries.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

collinedward

Post by collinedward » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:45 pm

Wow I thought it was a simple trip. I guess I need to do more research.

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:21 pm

I'm not trying to discourage you from going. It's just that it's a long trip for you & I wanted you to have pertinent info. ahead of time to avoid any disappointments when you get there.
Mark

Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

collinedward

Post by collinedward » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:37 pm

I really just assumed buy a license and find public land go hunt..

ESetterLove

Post by ESetterLove » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:42 pm

I live in ND and give you a little information about the bird counts. The bird counts are down across the state in areas that flooded (which was just about the entire state this year) they were further compromised by the harsh and bitter winter and the early season nests I was checking had very poor hatch counts. However, the late season hatches have done very well so I believe it will even out. The central area of the state might be tough if you want to hunt upland birds but is prime if you are looking for waterfowl. The potholes are filled back up and on my birding drive today I can tell you the hunting is looking good. I am still waiting to hear back from a friend in SW part of the state to see what the pheasant pop is down there. The best area for upland this year is in the central western area of the state so far. Anywhere from Washburn on. I will get a better idea of the counts when I travel that area on Sat as well.

birddogsunlimited

Post by birddogsunlimited » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:45 pm

ive been scouting areas since around the begining of june for prety much every thing for birds upland and water fowl some areas the numbers seem down others theres enough birds you could use a ball bat and get them. i know im finding more south west of me here in valley city. i know water fowls looking great this year im not sure how many hatches there were but i was seeing fuzy ducklings about 4 or 5 weeks ago and my hunting spots have been loaded with ducks and geese
rossi ann. gsp
mavrick gsp
willow gsp
Charlie yellow lab
kimber yellow lab
barrett yellow lab
mikey choc. lab r.i.p buddy

ohiohuntinweim

Post by ohiohuntinweim » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:09 pm

North Dakota was kind to us...

Image Image

With a little help from a friend of a friend; our first sharptail, our first limit of anything and our first truely wild birds. I was told bird numbers are down but there are still way more than in Ohio!!!
Jeremy

collinedward

Post by collinedward » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:27 pm

I never have had the chance to get my boy on wild boys yet. Ohio sucks for birds...

ohiohuntinweim

Post by ohiohuntinweim » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:47 pm

collinedward wrote:I never have had the chance to get my boy on wild boys yet. Ohio sucks for birds...
Sent you a PM...
Jeremy

ESetterLove

Post by ESetterLove » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:29 pm

I thought I should remind any nonresidents planning to hunt in ND this year the the licencing has changed as well. You won't be able to get your small game and waterfowl licenses through local vendors anymore. You have to purchase them directly from ND game and fish web site (or toll free number for and added service fee) and print them out yourself. The web site is http://gf.nd.gov/ and the number is 1-800-406-6409 just in case.
BigShooter wrote:You likely know this already but even though a ND non-resident can't hunt the above lands during the 10th-16th, unless prohibited, you can hunt the grasslands of the FEDERAL waterfowl production areas or any other federal lands. Federal waterfowl production areas require the use of steel shot only. You can't have so much as one lead shell in your possession when within their boundaries.

ohiohuntinweim

Post by ohiohuntinweim » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:35 pm

ESetterLove wrote:I thought I should remind any nonresidents planning to hunt in ND this year the the licencing has changed as well. You won't be able to get your small game and waterfowl licenses through local vendors anymore. You have to purchase them directly from ND game and fish web site (or toll free number for and added service fee) and print them out yourself. The web site is http://gf.nd.gov/ and the number is 1-800-406-6409 just in case.
BigShooter wrote:You likely know this already but even though a ND non-resident can't hunt the above lands during the 10th-16th, unless prohibited, you can hunt the grasslands of the FEDERAL waterfowl production areas or any other federal lands. Federal waterfowl production areas require the use of steel shot only. You can't have so much as one lead shell in your possession when within their boundaries.

Are you sure?? I picked mine up on sept. 11th at the Gander Mtn in Fargo! Bought my license and got my PLOTS guide!
Jeremy

ESetterLove

Post by ESetterLove » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:12 am

ohiohuntinweim wrote:
ESetterLove wrote:I thought I should remind any nonresidents planning to hunt in ND this year the the licencing has changed as well. You won't be able to get your small game and waterfowl licenses through local vendors anymore. You have to purchase them directly from ND game and fish web site (or toll free number for and added service fee) and print them out yourself. The web site is http://gf.nd.gov/ and the number is 1-800-406-6409 just in case.

Are you sure?? I picked mine up on sept. 11th at the Gander Mtn in Fargo! Bought my license and got my PLOTS guide!
Yes I am sure. It might not have been in effect yet when you were here though. I don't have time to search G&F site right now but here is a copy paste from the outdoors section of Sundays paper.

"Licensing changes for non-N.D. hunters

All nonresident small game and waterfowl hunting licenses are now sold exclusively through the North Dakota Game and Fish Department's electronic licensing or telephone system. Paper licenses are no longer sold at license vendors.

Nonresident bird hunters can purchase their license by accessing the Game and Fish Department's Web site, (gf.nd.gov). Hunters must print out their own license.

Nonresident small game and waterfowl licenses are also available by calling the department's toll-free licensing line, 1-800-406-6409. A service fee is added for licenses purchased by phone."

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:12 am

"All nonresident small game and waterfowl hunting licenses are now sold exclusively through the North Dakota Game and Fish Department's electronic licensing or telephone system. Paper licenses are no longer sold at license vendors."

I think this would mean you can still purchase at local vendors if they have the electronic system.

ESetterLove

Post by ESetterLove » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:20 am

twofeathers wrote:"All nonresident small game and waterfowl hunting licenses are now sold exclusively through the North Dakota Game and Fish Department's electronic licensing or telephone system. Paper licenses are no longer sold at license vendors."

I think this would mean you can still purchase at local vendors if they have the electronic system.

:roll: I guess if you are comfortable giving out your SSN# to the local nitwit that just happens to work in a place that has internet access... Go for it!
If you purchase a license at a vendor that just happens to have "the electronic system" they will use the same site I have given.
Better to be safe than Sorry.

Why not save the time and cover your bases in advance?

ESetterLove

Post by ESetterLove » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:27 am

P.S. I don't have to hold my Dog's tail up. She knows how to hold her own... ;)

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:52 am

I'm not sure how they do it in Dakota's but here in Iowa they swipe your drivers liscence. No need to give your SS# to any nit wit's. By the way congradulations on your dogs tail? :roll: LOL