A Morning Run Video

wems2371
GDF Junkie

A Morning Run Video

Post by wems2371 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:50 pm

Just got my video together, but on the Sunday before last, I took Roxi out to stretch her legs on some local public ground. It's far from bird heaven, as we've been there probably 6x so far, and seen only one rooster. But it is a beautiful place to run and train dogs, with all heights and densities of cover and some nice watering holes, one pond of which I was looking to find for some possible duck hunting. My husband and I always run dogs/train together, so it was my first outing alone. Had to familiarize myself with the Garmin and e-collar, and added them to my already overloaded hunting vest. Felt like a pack mule. Met a guy and his lab on their way out, as we were heading in. No ducks he said, but 4 coyotes spotted. Headed out. Zigged when I should've zagged, and ended up taking the very long way to find the pond. Along the way, I about peed myself, when something came bounding through the cover at me. Ya know, I was thinking coyotes all the way up to the rumored mountain lion. Thinking that I had 5 or 6 primer shots to fire and then I'd have to throw the gun at whatever it was. Turned out to be a red coonhound, that proceeded to intermittently follow us for the next hour, always bounding back to us when least expected. Never saw any pheasants, but did get 6 turkey in the air, that I've got on video. A couple friends asked me if Roxi pointed them, but I think she pretty much bounded through them. Now I'm going to have to get some pen raised turkeys to work on steadiness (not). :lol: Didn't know if the pond was a good one or not, but we went back this Saturday, and a dozen ducks flushed out of the dead wood in the middle. Even got up a duck out of the first mudhole. Roxi hadn't been for a big run in a while, and I think she checked out everything that caught her nose's fancy. So anyway, it's just a fun little video. Denise

I have two links. First did youtube, which trashed my photos. So then went to vimeo. Then remembered to click on youtube High Quality, and all was good again. :mrgreen:

CLICK ON BLACK HQ ICON ON LOWER RIGHT AREA OF VIDEO (BY VOLUME). Screen gets bigger, and quality goes waaaaay up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7xLaMgfh0o

Or watch it on Vimeo.
http://www.vimeo.com/6762469

snips
GDF Junkie

Re: A Morning Run Video

Post by snips » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:34 pm

Looks like shes having a ball!
brenda

twofeathers

Post by twofeathers » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:42 pm

Thats one of my favorite places to go also. At 7:30 in your video you should have headed north towards the evergreens. We jumped up two roosters and two turkeys less than an hour after you left. Glad to see you found the larger pond. We get ducks up there almost every time we go. Gonna have to hit that spot later in the year after crops are out and a couple of snows knock down some of that tall stuff a little. I don't like to stay on the mowed paths because I don't want pup learning any bad habits. The thick stuff is for him. :lol: Right now thats some hard walking for size 14 boots to get through. Nice video. Don't tell everybody now, it gets hunted hard enough the way it is. :P 8)

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:21 am

Some beutiful country out your way, Roxi is looking like she is having a ball

Dave C

Post by Dave C » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:44 am

Excellent stuff, well done.

Dave.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:20 pm

Thanks guys/gals. Iowa pheasant opener is October 31st, so it's starting to get exciting around here....and only have 10 more days to the 2nd duck opener. Better get to practicing my call. :?

Twofeathers--I'll have to investigate the cedars more. On the day of the video, I did cut through them, south to north to take the loooong way to the pond. But we didn't spend much time in 'em. I won't touch that thick tall grass prairie. Heck, it's over my 5'9" head and I'm thinking not very good for scenting. If there are any birds in there though, they sure aren't going to get much run on and will probably pop straight up on flush. Secret well kept. The name came up on the garmin map, and I had my husband delete it for the video. :twisted:

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:03 pm

Looks like fun! (and a good contest idea... best video.) Let me put something together. I think we're due for another Permatack giveaway!

Grant

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:30 pm

Nice is that private or public land?

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:18 pm

public land