I would like your opinion!

eaglesfan

I would like your opinion!

Post by eaglesfan » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:55 pm

Hey there, I have got pretty addicted to duck and goose hunting over the past 5 years. I live in Canada where the water gets cold and the birds are big. My question is what is everyone's opinion on what is the better dog, Male black lab or male chesapeake bay retriever. I figure male since they can handle the bigger birds safely in bad weather but I can't pin point between the two, any advice would be appreciated. Cheers

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: I would like your opinion!

Post by Sharon » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:00 pm

Welcome to the forum.

If you're going to hunt well into Nov./Dec. ( skim ice) I'd get a Chessie.

FYI reminder: Any retriever though needs to be able to get his feet entirely out of the water between retrieves and while waiting , in order to ensure safety.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:06 pm

I agree very cold water mixed with very cold ambient air temp. and really big birds calls for a Chessie.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:44 pm

Chessie wins that hands down.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:23 pm

Unless you are hunting sea birds the discussion is more academic than real. A dog of either breed with proper coat will be more than adequate for any weather that the birds are still here in.
As far as the size thing goes any GOOD dog that is 60 lbs or bigger will pull in all the big geese you and a half dozen of your buddies can put down. But you need a dog with the heart to be a goose dog - and they don't get heart just by being physically bigger. The thing you do need to watch though is muzzle length. The square headed fad is creating dogs with short muzzles and they simply have a hard time getting a grip on the bigger birds.

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:20 am

This die-hard Chessie man agrees with that crumby Lab guy, slistoe. For most practical working purpose, differences within each of the two breeds are greater than those between them. Pick whichever breed happens to float your boat - but choose the breeding within it with great care.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:46 am

I'm a die hard Chessie fan too.....but Rick and Slistoe are right on. Might look to Whiskey Creek Chessies in NC.... Kathy has some pretty awesome bird dogs . http://www.whiskeycreekchesapeakes.com/id4.html