Which breed sheds the least?

petrey10

Which breed sheds the least?

Post by petrey10 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:05 pm

Which hunting dog breed sheds the least? My wife complains on and on about how our EP sheds so much. It really don't bother me but is kinda hurting my chances at getting a 2nd hunting dog. I want a pointing breed and it to be a female with great bloodlines so other than that I don't really care what breed it is.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: Which breed sheds the least?

Post by mcbosco » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:13 pm

Thats a great question, mine is single-coated and is a very minimal shedder despite having a lot of coat..no seasonal shed whatsoever and light hairloss. WPG's are pretty similar. Short-coated dogs like GSP's can be deceptively big shedders, but I doubt none of them would shed as much as a Lab or Golden.

My friend has 3 GWP's and they dont shed much at all.

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:26 pm

Poodle ?? I've heard that they don't shed much.

It's all about perspective. My dogs shed some but nothing compared to a friends lab. That dog can leave more hair in my house after visiting for an hour than mine will leave in a week. :twisted: Sooo mention to the wife that your're thinking about a lab. Then have a buddy bring over their lab for a couple hours. She'll likely be begging you to get another EP. :lol:
Last edited by Ditch__Parrot on Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:27 pm

one of those hairless chinese dogs :lol: i have a GSP and he doesn't shed to bad at all.... on the other hand i have a boston terror....i mean terrier and he sheds horribly...

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:26 pm

Between us we've had Shelties, EPs, ISs and our current dog, a GSP. While he does shed, it's not nearly as noticeable as the others because it's so short.

JMHO,
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:56 pm

This might surprise you, it's actually surprised me. But my Hungarian Wirehaired Vizsla doesn't seem to shed at all.

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:58 pm

the wire-haired breeds shed less...is your Vizsla single-coated?

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:23 am

No, she's got the undercoat.

Cost extra, but she won't rust. :wink:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:36 am

It's my understanding that all dogs shed about alike but the secret is to have one the same color as your furnishings and carpet. I have seen that with the black and yellow labs where the blackone doesn't shed much in a dark room while the yellow one doesn't shed in the light colored rooms. But turn them around and they shed terribly. I think you have to look at how thick the coat is since they lose practically every hair sometime during the year. The more hair the more they shed.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

jhoughton

Post by jhoughton » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:23 am

We have a beagle, pointer, gwp and setter. The setter by far sheds the least followed closely by the GWP. The pointer and beagle are always leaving fur anywhere they are touched.

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:56 am

not many wirehaired vizlas around are there? What about the short coat Vizsla do they shed like an EP?

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:21 am

It's my understanding that all dogs shed about alike but the secret is to have one the same color as your furnishings and carpet. I have seen that with the black and yellow labs where the blackone doesn't shed much in a dark room while the yellow one doesn't shed in the light colored rooms. But turn them around and they shed terribly. I think you have to look at how thick the coat is since they lose practically every hair sometime during the year. The more hair the more they shed.
I would have to agree with Ezzy on part of this. We have a white JRT with a broken coat that sheds like crazy. Sometimes of year are worse than others, but his white hair shows up on every thing and clings like glue. My shorthairs do shed some, but not near as much as the JRT. The short, darker hair of the shorthairs seems to show up less due to the color.

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:41 am

Yes, the short coated Vizsla sheds like an EP. Small fine hairs but plenty of them.

Carla

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:19 am

Our vizslas shed, but I wouldn't say they shed a lot. Certainly not as much as a lot of other breeds. It's never been a problem for us.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

V-John

Post by V-John » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:25 am

My V's shed too. It's not noticible, until you vacuum, and then see how much hair you are picking up.
My truck has it too, but that doesn't bother me as much.

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:15 am

btw I love the look of Vizslas if they weren't 1000 bucks a pup I would have one no matter how it sheds

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:28 am

So from my understanding shorter coated dogs shed more than longer coated dogs but you cannot tell as much becasue the hairs are so short. You also have to factor in the color as Ezzy said.

I have GSP and a Vizsla. I see my GSP's white hair all over the darker colored carpet and couch but my Vizsla's hair I barely notice.

If I pull hair out of both of their necks, I get much more with the Vizsla but they are so short and fine.

So in conclusion, my Vizsla sheds a lot more but I can not tell as much and it is very easy to deal with compared to the GSP.

Go with the Vizsla!!!!! Plus, how in the heck would your wife turn down a face like this?

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:25 pm

EddieF wrote:No, she's got the undercoat.

Cost extra, but she won't rust. :wink:
ROFLMAO!!!!! :mrgreen:

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:12 pm

Yes, we bought Vizsla colored furniture this last time. We really only see the hair if he lays down in bed with us as the sheets are a light color. Love my Vizsla but wouldn't mind trying a wirehair.

Carla

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:34 pm

my wife isn't wild about the looks of a wirehaired dog and I can say that I am not either but as long as the thing can keep up with my EP I wouldn't care. But like many of you know you gotta keep the wife happy ;)

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:11 pm

petrey10 wrote:my wife isn't wild about the looks of a wirehaired dog and I can say that I am not either
That's crazy talk!! :D

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:29 pm

GSPVIZ wrote:Go with the Vizsla!!!!! Plus, how in the heck would your wife turn down a face like this?

OH You just had to go there huh.

Since we're playin dirty now. :lol: Try a dark haired GSP,

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:30 pm

V-John wrote:My V's shed too. It's not noticible, until you vacuum, and then see how much hair you are picking up.
My truck has it too, but that doesn't bother me as much.
priceless-

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:20 pm

The secret to a non shedding dog is to give it a good brushing a couple of times each week.
I have noticed that when I forget to brush my dogs, they start shedding. On the other hand,
when I brush them every couple of days, they don't seem to shed much at all. Start burshing
your EP and your wife will start liking it more.
Second dog in no time.

Oh, and Ezzy, I still haven't been able to find an orange and white spotted living room set. :wink:

Winglish

Post by Winglish » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:48 pm

Let's get down to the science behind shedding. Hair doesn't shed like fur. Does your hair shed off of your head? Somewhat, but not like the Lab or GSP, right? That's why wirehaired dogs shed less than other breeds. They have hair and not fur. My WPG sheds little to none at all. My Lab sheds everywhere all the time.
Like Christmas and the flu, sometimes more than once per year is too much.

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:52 pm

Winglish wrote:Let's get down to the science behind shedding. Hair doesn't shed like fur. Does your hair shed off of your head? Somewhat, but not like the Lab or GSP, right? That's why wirehaired dogs shed less than other breeds. They have hair and not fur. My WPG sheds little to none at all. My Lab sheds everywhere all the time.
Well that's pretty interesting. I never thought about that.

Winglish

Post by Winglish » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:26 pm

Kind of makes one wonder why the shorthair isn't called the shortfur, doesn't it? :wink:
Like Christmas and the flu, sometimes more than once per year is too much.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:59 am

Winglish wrote:Let's get down to the science behind shedding. Hair doesn't shed like fur. Does your hair shed off of your head? Somewhat, but not like the Lab or GSP, right? That's why wirehaired dogs shed less than other breeds. They have hair and not fur. My WPG sheds little to none at all. My Lab sheds everywhere all the time.
But what about the undercoat which is quite heay on most wirehaired dogs? Thats where the lab or any dog with a waterproof coat gets the nod for heaviest shedder. But I believe that hair sheds too just like we do. Its a normal ongoing process.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:49 am

Winglish wrote:Kind of makes one wonder why the shorthair isn't called the shortfur, doesn't it? :wink:
Well now I don't know what to think! :?

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:19 am

I have observed that when the shorter haired dogs(I have pointers) shed, the hairs tend to get stuck into the fabrics like little spears and require heavy duty vacuuming with brushing to mechanically pull the stuck hairs out. Shedding from longer haired dogs like setters may tend to be more visible, but it vacuums up much more readily.

RayG

petrey10

Post by petrey10 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:51 am

O man I like the looks of a chocolate GSP

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:11 am

ezzy333 wrote:It's my understanding that all dogs shed about alike but the secret is to have one the same color as your furnishings and carpet.
Ezzy
That's why we have Weimaraners. That pale gray/taupe blends in with everything :P

Plus, I'm more afraid of the vaccum cleaner than my dogs are :mrgreen:

Aline
http://zzfarms.com
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

Winglish

Post by Winglish » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:13 pm

Winglish wrote:
Kind of makes one wonder why the shorthair isn't called the shortfur, doesn't it?
EddieF wrote:
Well now I don't know what to think
Haar= hair or fur. Kurzhaar, Drahthaar, Langhaar all have the same name in German. It's a mistranslation to hair in English because we have separate words for fur and hair. The GSP named correctly would be the German Shortfurred Pointer.
But what about the undercoat which is quite heay on most wirehaired dogs? Thats where the lab or any dog with a waterproof coat gets the nod for heaviest shedder. But I believe that hair sheds too just like we do. Its a normal ongoing process.
Owners of wirehairs pull the undercoat with an undercoat rake. The WPG is actually like a poodle in that it's not supposed to shed. The show folks call them "hypoallergenic" dogs. That's not really the truth though. They shed a little bit, but it's waaaaay less than most other breeds.

Ecw21

Post by Ecw21 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:31 pm

Honestly, my little Brittany is very low-maintenance when it comes to shedding.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:56 am

was waiting- nicely put- ahhhhhh nice pedigree you have there

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:57 am

How is the shedding on pudelpointers?

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:11 am

i would think pretty low given the poodle in them..i have only seen one

Vman

Post by Vman » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:51 am

First off let me tell you all dogs shed, just some more than others. I clean up after them all, Vizslas,GWP,WPG,PP,GSP,Setters,Pointers,Weims,Labs,Spinone,Goldens,Brits,and the mixed breeds. My kennels are swept daily. There is no carpet or furniture to hide the hair. When I sweep up I am getting a 24 hr read on who sheds the most.
Here they are in order from less to most.

Vizsla
Weim
Pointer
GSP
Brit
PP
WPG
GWP
Spinone
Setter
Golden
Lab

Some of them could be switched around, but this is very close. If you want clean,, the Vizsla is the cleanest dog you will ever own. Hunting dog that is.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:09 am

not really a breed but....... outside dogs shed the least :)

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:35 pm

natetnc wrote:not really a breed but....... outside dogs shed the least :)
but many let their's sleep under the covers with them- wonder if they have camo bed sheets

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:30 pm

Shedding and the Wirehaired breeds...
What I have found is that the shorter and harsher the coat, the more loose hair you will find around the house, on your furniture, and on you.
The longer coats don't seem to shed as much... some don't shed at all!

But in general, no Wirehaired breed should not shed nearly as much as any single coated or double coated breed.
Lab and Golden owners have my sympathy... GSP and Ptr owners just don't notice it as much, but the vacumn cleaner knows the truth! And Vizslas.. them short orange hairs just blend in really well. So, for the most part... they aren't a problem either.

Britts... Setters... some shed more than others. A good brushing once a week..
fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:07 pm

lets see- 30 years with Britt's- yes they shed- they shead their winter coat when the weather gets warm- they shed their summer coats when the cold starts

pretty much the same as my Golden, English Setter, and English Pointer- of latter days

think if you have them inside and outside there's a bit of confusion- nature says one thing- conditions say another

shanebevel@gmail.com

Post by shanebevel@gmail.com » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:43 pm

RayGubernat wrote:I have observed that when the shorter haired dogs(I have pointers) shed, the hairs tend to get stuck into the fabrics like little spears and require heavy duty vacuuming with brushing to mechanically pull the stuck hairs out. Shedding from longer haired dogs like setters may tend to be more visible, but it vacuums up much more readily.

RayG
Exactly, we have two ESs and certain times of year it piles up like show drifts in the hallway, but 30 secs with the vacuum and it's gone. We also have dark hardwoods, so that white hair really shows up. On the other hand, my buddy brought a Jack Russell with us on a 2 hour truck ride 4 years ago and that dog's hair is still in the seats of my truck! After that I swore I would never have a shorthaired dog... now talk to me after we hit a mess of cockle burs and I might have another opinion!

Our dogs are not allowed, and have no interest in getting on the furniture, so we don't typically have a problem with that.

Shane

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:50 am

petrey10

I think that what everyone is saying is that if you want another dog, you should start doing the house cleaning for your wife. That way she won't mind the second dog and all of its shedding. :wink: