A Rewarding Hunting Experience!

CherrystoneWeims

A Rewarding Hunting Experience!

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:40 pm

This past Monday and Tuesday I had a truly rewarding experience doing some volunteer work.

I belong to Safari Club International. My local Lowcountry Chapter hosts a Wounded Warrior hunt every year and has been doing so for five years. This hunt is based not far from the Marine Corp. Air Station in Beaufort, SC. This year we hosted approx. FIFTY hunters with twenty-five local plantations allowing the use of their land. We also take along kids from the Make-A-Wish Foundation and disadvantaged kids who come from poverty stricken homes.

This year I was able to get the plantation where I hunt on the roster of places to use. The plantation owners were very generous to allow this two days of hunting. We had the use of two deer stands on the property.

The guy that I guided had never hunted before and is from the Wounded Warrior battalion based at Camp LaJeune, NC. There were two stands available for hunters at this particular plantation. My friend went with a guy who is an experienced hunter. I know both of these stands and picked which one I wanted to go to. :D :D This was the first time hunting for the guy that I guided and I wanted it to be a successful outing!

Wheeeeee My guy got TWO does!!! One on Mon afternoon and one Tues. morning. He was so excited. Since it was his first time getting a deer of course we did the ritual bloodying when we processed the deer back at the central plantation.

If any of you can get a chance to see the Marine Corp. newspaper you may get a chance to see the guy that I guided!

What a worthwhile experience it was. I HIGHLY recommend to every hunter to take a wounded warrior out for a hunt. The guys were so grateful and thanked us all for everything. But my thanks to them when I parted was very heartfelt. THEY are giving the utmost to us in their service to our country!!
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

luke0927

Re: A Rewarding Hunting Experience!

Post by luke0927 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:25 pm

Yes it is a great project my cousin is a Marine up in NC and has done several tours to Iraq. nothing like that first deer!

EddieF

Re: A Rewarding Hunting Experience!

Post by EddieF » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:35 pm

That's awesome!!! 8)

I've worked with wounded vets in a fly fishing program and it was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.