weather/hunting question

naperdog

weather/hunting question

Post by naperdog » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:30 am

I am finally getting out to the field for the first time of the year for some pheasant hunting. Forecast looks pretty rainy and that got me to wondering how that will affect my dog and his ability to find birds? i will be hunting a preserve that has hunderds of birds released daily. Will the rain help wash away alot of the old scents helping him find the birds that are actually still there? Or will the rain also be washing away the fresh scents as well forcing him to be right on top of a bird before smelling it?

BellaDad

Re: weather/hunting question

Post by BellaDad » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:38 am

I've found that liberated birds don't fly well in the rain and tend to run more when it is raining. It can be a LOT easier for your dog to catch them if you're not careful. A little rain can be a good thing, but too much and the birds tend to hunker down and scenting conditions can deteriorate.

pheasanthunter51

Post by pheasanthunter51 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:53 pm

I do alot of guiding on preserves and agree with BellaDad if the birds are wet I know my dogs are going to catch a few birds. But on the upside I find that they also hunt alot better, more scent and they don't get as hot.

naperdog

Post by naperdog » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:52 am

It turned out to be a pretty rough day on Friday. WHile it didn't rain much while we were in the field, it had downpored all night. It was over 60 degress with 20 - 30 mph winds. Kona did flush 2 birds and pointed a 3rd (very strong impressive point, even after i watched the rooster get up and walk away he held his point), but given the # of birds released i had been expecting more. that being said, all the guys out there were having a rough go of it. I am heading out again on saturday and it will be interesting to see if the difference in weather will bring a difference in my dog.