Info for NW Iowa (near Spirit Lake).....

Nebraska

Info for NW Iowa (near Spirit Lake).....

Post by Nebraska » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:57 pm

I have an opportunity to visit Spirit Lake, IA next weekend and considered picking up an out of state license and doing some hunting in that area. Is anyone on this forum from around that area? If so, I'd appreciate a PM so I could ask some questions and maybe get some info about the area. Thanks....

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Re: Info for NW Iowa (near Spirit Lake).....

Post by wems2371 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:51 am

Nebraska, we are going for about 5 days, but it'll be a week or two after you. We've never been there either. Of course we've been looking in the Iowa Sportsmans Atlas, to see what's available for public ground...and then you might check out the Iowa Outdoors forum. There's occasionally some chat on there about that region. My husband posted a question a few weeks ago about camping and hunting up there, and another poster offered to meet with us and take us to some spots. If you go, we sure would appreciate some info on your success and of course the hotspots. :D
Last edited by wems2371 on Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:57 pm

Good thinkin' on the Iowa Sportsman's Atlas. I'm pretty sure I even have one already too. Hopefully I can find a cheap motel to stay in while I do some hunting on the public ground. Would be a fun trip!!!

So how's your pup doing??

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:34 pm

If you can't find your atlas, let me know--I might be able to lay my book on my scanner and email or fax you some pages.

Pup's doing good. She just found her 2nd wild pheasant on Monday.

New avatar, or have I missed it before? Sure is a good looking dog. :mrgreen:

Well anyway, good luck if you go... Don't be surprised if I shoot you a PM to find out how it went, and if you have a GPS, I want the honey hole coordinates. :D

grousewoods

Post by grousewoods » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:57 pm

Iowa has a great web site you can down load maps of the area! Good luck I know they have had some bad weather this year and last winter.

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:12 am

Just checked the DNR site and WOW!! They did a great job with their public hunting info. Wish NGPC would get on board with a similar set up for our public hunting spots.

Probably a long-shot but does anyone know where I can find CRP walk-on maps online for IA???

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:33 am

Sorry man, no walk in program in Iowa. I'd try to hit the places south of Esterville as they are further away from Spirit Lake and don't get hit as hard.

Look for places in the atlas that have prarie or upland in the description.

Bob told me that you were lookin for me at the NEGSP trial. Sounds like we just missed other. I'm glad that you had fun running your dog. Get together with Bob and do some training. You can learn a lot from him.

Doug

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:32 pm

Hi Doug. Hopefully we can hook up next time. I did have a lot of fun and definitely have a LONG way to go on the training side!!

I'm going to go up mid-next week and found a place to stay that's just about 1/2 way between Sioux City and Spirit Lake. That looks to be a good area for birds and yet close enough to Spirit Lake that I'll be able to get there pretty quickly on Saturday afternoon.

I'm gettin' REALLY excited!!!

gozz21

Post by gozz21 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:03 am

where are you staying at?

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:33 pm

I'll be staying in Primghar, IA and heading to Spirit Lake on Saturday.