What?!!!

3Britts

What?!!!

Post by 3Britts » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:33 pm

Okay, I know that some lab owners have a problem seeing other breeds of dogs, but this took me by surprise.
Yesterday I went pheasant hunting with my oldest boy on some public land here in Utah. I Thought that it would be a good chance to have a father-son bonding time. Especially when you take into account that Utah and pheasant hunting really don't mix.
Well, we had been working our first field about 10 minutes behind a couple of hunters with two black labs. My son noticed that the labs were holding tight to the hunters as they moved and that they didn't quarter the field as Ron did while hunting birds. When we got to the otherside of the field, we found the labs owners waiting for us. The closest one remarked that Ron was a beautiful hunting dog. The next thing that came out of his mouth made me do a double take. He said, "So, what type of dog is he?" And my boy answers, "A real hunting dog." Trust a teenager to say what comes into his head.
With that we took our leave and headed into the next section.

hustonmc

Re: What?!!!

Post by hustonmc » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:57 pm

Sounds like your boy is a smart young man, off to a good start. I stood in a booth at the Sportsman show last year and my hunting buddy has chocolate britts and had one there. We had people saying nice Springer, even beagle, one guy corrected his wife when she said nice Britt, and he snaps back, "Honey, you know better then that, that's a Setter."

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:15 pm

hustonmc wrote:Sounds like your boy is a smart young man, off to a good start. I stood in a booth at the Sportsman show last year and my hunting buddy has chocolate britts and had one there. We had people saying nice Springer, even beagle, one guy corrected his wife when she said nice Britt, and he snaps back, "Honey, you know better then that, that's a Setter."
I never knew Brits came in chocolate. I think what yo are talking about is a liver.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:06 pm

I don't know if this was the case,since I was not there,but a well trained lab stays about 30-50' from the hunter most of the time.Flushers work differently then pointers. If they are going to flush the gunner needs to be close and fast.Your son may have misspoken - not knowing the difference between the breeds - and in turn insulted someone needlessly.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:23 pm

adogslife wrote:I don't know if this was the case,since I was not there,but a well trained lab stays about 30-50' from the hunter most of the time.Flushers work differently then pointers. If they are going to flush the gunner needs to be close and fast.Your son may have misspoken - not knowing the difference between the breeds - and in turn insulted someone needlessly.
These dogs were between 2 and 10 feet from the hunters, strictly retreiving dogs.

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:05 pm

If I would have spoken to another adult like that as a teenager, especially an unprovoked one who was trying to offer a compliment, I would have been in a world of hurt when my dad got me home...assuming it wasn't done on the spot! I'm sure your son is a fine, intelligent young man but my 15 year old would have been issuing an apology for his attitude.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:46 pm

your son did right- heck- my brother and I said exactly the same thing when dad took us pheasant hunting- we had a golden who sure didn't stay within 50'-

and while the other dogs were walking at some's kness and way out flushing things and the owner yelling- dad said - a good flushing dog stays within gun range while not being yelled at all the time- I hunt with them because they are friends- you are kids and while they may know it it's best not to say their dogs aren't any good- you just watch and learn what a good dog is supposed to do

besides- them being breed blind there isn't anything wrong with the coment

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:58 pm

postoakshorthairs wrote:If I would have spoken to another adult like that as a teenager, especially an unprovoked one who was trying to offer a compliment, I would have been in a world of hurt when my dad got me home...assuming it wasn't done on the spot! I'm sure your son is a fine, intelligent young man but my 15 year old would have been issuing an apology for his attitude.
First would've been the apology. Then mom/dad might've said hunting day is over OR you're grounded for a week. That might've been getting off easy, because I came from a spanking home, and the threat was always there "that you're never too big". :D

I understand kids will be kids, but it sure sounds like a missed opporunity to forward some knowledge about your breed, especially after someone pays you a compliment. Asking what breed is better than guessing. I got to see my first cesky fousek about a month ago, and I would've never guessed right on that one. How many of you are going to go google that one right now? :D

If someone is having a good day afield and happy with their dogs performance, why say something that could be hurtful? Hunting is about what makes YOU happy and we hunters need to stick together.

Ron R

Post by Ron R » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:42 pm

hustonmc wrote:We had people saying nice Springer, even beagle, one guy corrected his wife when she said nice Britt, and he snaps back, "Honey, you know better then that, that's a Setter."
Mistaken a britt for a springer is an honest mistake but a beagle or setter???

Ron
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=2786

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll enjoy it a second time.

Winglish

Post by Winglish » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:44 pm

I got to see my first cesky fousek about a month ago, and I would've never guessed right on that one. How many of you are going to go google that one right now?
I'm not! And, no, there's no CF in my WPG and we're quite happy about that. :lol:

3Britts, tell your son I know some Labs that will gladly meet his Brit in the swamp to play for pink slips. He who exits with the most birds wins. Oh, and I love a good hunting dog, whatever the breed. :wink:

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:20 pm

I might be completely wrong, but it sounds to me that there is a hint of animosity toward lab owners. I have never owned a lab and do not want to hunt upland birds with one. Pointing dogs are what gives me my passion for bird hunting, but I see quite a few people hunting with labs, especially on pen raised birds.

If a person likes to hunt and prefers to do it with whatever breed he is happy with, is great. Some people don't even care if they don't put any birds in the bag. They just enjoy going to the field with their dog, and if they bag a bird or two, it is a bonus.

It sounds as though this guy was trying to be friendly and ended up being insulted. This may have not been the intent at all, but this guy probably left with a bad taste in his mouth, which otherwise would have been an ejoyable day. I may be way off base on this but it is JMO. :)

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

cody

Post by cody » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:34 pm

I would venture a guess that more pheasants are killed over labs than any other breed.

and when did brittney spaniels become "real hunting dogs" ?

When they dropped the spaniel and started to "quarter"?

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:55 pm

Well, you can put me squarely in the camp that says there is a young boy who needs a lesson in manners and a father that doesn't know when to give one.

Or maybe the story lost something in the telling?

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:55 am

and when did brittney spaniels become "real hunting dogs" ?

I assume you are joking, but any good dog is a real hunting dog, regardless of the breed. Even the ones you don't know how to spell. :wink:

Charlie

andreasrossouw

Post by andreasrossouw » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:38 am

postoakshorthairs wrote:If I would have spoken to another adult like that as a teenager, especially an unprovoked one who was trying to offer a compliment, I would have been in a world of hurt when my dad got me home...assuming it wasn't done on the spot! I'm sure your son is a fine, intelligent young man but my 15 year old would have been issuing an apology for his attitude.
The same would have happened to me!
Always be friendly you never know how much unspoilt land the stranger you find on a hunting trip owns? :lol:
And ill back my show bred lab for the pink slips anytime!

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:00 am

The thread wasnt about parenting, no one asked for advice. You guys need to relax. No one knows what kind of punishment was handed out, why does everyone assume there wasnt any?

This one should be chalked up to the "things kids say."

andreasrossouw

Post by andreasrossouw » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:07 am

ACooper wrote:The thread wasnt about parenting, no one asked for advice. You guys need to relax. No one knows what kind of punishment was handed out, why does everyone assume there wasnt any?

This one should be chalked up to the "things kids say."
I hear you.

cody

Post by cody » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:56 am

assume you are joking, but any good dog is a real hunting dog, regardless of the breed. Even the ones you don't know how to spell.
I was, you would think I know how to spell it since I own one? From now on they will be known as BRITTS the greatest hunting dogs in all the land....or at least better then a labbydor

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:06 am

The thread wasnt about parenting, no one asked for advice. You guys need to relax. No one knows what kind of punishment was handed out, why does everyone assume there wasnt any?
True enough...i guess i assumed. I just bet that if the rolls were reversed and the two guys had nice, big running, choke bore nose pointers and were cleaning up the field and the son would have said "wow! those dogs are nice what are they?" and the reply was a "real hunting dogs" the title of the post would have been "Can you believe what those #$%@@%% said to my son". So, to me, regardless of the age of who said it, I don't agree with speaking to people like that when they're paying you a compliment. JMO

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:23 am

Postoak I dont disagree with you at all.

naperdog

Post by naperdog » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:57 am

I would like to beleive that the parent did the right thing in this case, but it doesn't seem like it, seems like he was more proud of his son than anything. Maybe there was something lost in translation, but it doesn't look that way.

Kids will say the craziest things which is part of life but these are also great charachter building oppurtunities. When I was in 8th grade, I got into it with some kid on the basketabll court during a game. After the game was over and we had changed back into our street clothes the kid came up to me and told me 'nice game', at which point I went on to insult him some more. I told my Dad about the incident on the drive home. He had been proud of my actions on the court and the fact that I stood up for myself. However, he let me know how wrong I was to continue insulting the kid after the game, and that sometimes things happen in the heat of the moment that cause us to act out of charachter and fight. When cooler heads prevail a 'nice game' is the way to go.

My point is, I made a mistake in how I acted and what I said. While I still regret acting that way, it was a perfect oppurtunity for my Dad to teach me sprotsmanship and manners. That 2 minute conversation helped change me for the better and I'm happy he told me how wrong I was. Seems like a similiar oppurtunity was missed for that boy in that field.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:00 pm

sounds like we have a couple here that want to run for pink slips- wonder how their labs do on quail

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:20 pm

Well, when I want advise on parenting, I will ask for it.

As was said, this thread wasn't about what I talked about with my boy after he made the comment as that is between me and mine.
I should say that there is no animosity for lads of any color. I hunt ducks with my buddy and his labs a couple of times each month
during waterfowl season. He hunts over my dogs when hunting upland game. Different dogs excel at different types of hunting.

The point that I was trying to make during my original post is that kids and hunters will say some of the most amazing things. Up
until that moment, I had never had another hunter, in the field, that didn't recognize that Ron was a Brittany (correct spelling).
I also had never heard my son make such a comment to another person before, as he is generally a very respectful young man. It
was just one of those moments that makes your head snap around and you say, "What?!"

Oh, and as for that remark about more pheasants being shot over labs than Brittanys each year. My boy limited out, a hunter with
a wiem pulled one down and I missed the one I shot out. According to the DNR official tha was there when we left, those were the
only birds taken that morning. :wink:

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:40 pm

So whens the showdown :D

Can I play?
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:51 pm

you'd put your lab up against a Britt- is that what you're saying

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:22 pm

birddog1968 wrote:So whens the showdown :D

Can I play?
Tell you what, I'll be in SD mid=way through the first week next year.
Bring your lab and I'll bring my Britts. Sound good? :D

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:35 pm

I'm just teasing ya'll but yes I'd give him even odds, but lets make it mid/late sept on prairie grouse(my grandmothers Pomeranian could find ditch parrots). :P

I just came back from 7 weeks in the Dakotas....with him and two EP's.
He outfound them consistently, gotta love ole wise dogs.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:46 pm

cody wrote:
assume you are joking, but any good dog is a real hunting dog, regardless of the breed. Even the ones you don't know how to spell.
I was, you would think I know how to spell it since I own one? From now on they will be known as BRITTS the greatest hunting dogs in all the land....or at least better then a labbydor
cody, I was also just having some fun. I knew you were joking and I am as guilty as any body when it comes to spelling, even when we know the correct spelling. :)

charlie

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:48 pm

Anyone care to go out against blue quail? They leave the least amount of scent of any bird I have ever hunted and run like track stars. I will put my pointers and setter up against someone on that. Season starts this weekend and I can't wait.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:55 pm

why Tommy! it was labs against Britt's- I was thinking of having them come down and play with the pheasants on the farm- maybe a covey or two of Bobwhites

course- being that 3Britt's son is talking about just an everyday ole Britt that can't go all day, and he might be nervous about the shooting- maybe when the Britt gets tired they'd want to use mine, and being that mine might not handle for them I could go along-

you would make a nice impartial judge to set some rules of maners and all- don't ya think

oh- I'm cracking about wanting to run for pink slips- haven't heard that since the days of the 55 Chevy's- but then again- maybe it's the fast and furious crowd
Last edited by Shadow on Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:01 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:Anyone care to go out against blue quail? They leave the least amount of scent of any bird I have ever hunted and run like track stars. I will put my pointers and setter up against someone on that. Season starts this weekend and I can't wait.
You have the home field advantage tommy, but I sure am looking forward to giving it a try. :wink:

Charlie

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:19 pm

I might make it down sometime this year- if not- then next- I played with those greased wheel things you call quail a few years ago-

I'm not sure they are fair game- fair meaning- they don't seem to want to sit still- while they still fly pretty darn good

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:30 pm

Lets just do all these hunts, traveling bird dog show......and just for fun. :!:

That lab cut his teeth on wild bobs....worked for his roosters this year, he's
made me proud over the years. Huntin dawgs are the best in my book, regardless of
the flavor.

I was supposed to be down AZ this Christmas ......Not gonna happen tho :(
maybe next year.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:45 pm

well- what has to be said is where one is heading from and heading to- and then see who is out and about to meet up for a coffee

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:28 pm

3Britts wrote:Well, when I want advise on parenting, I will ask for it.

As was said, this thread wasn't about what I talked about with my boy after he made the comment as that is between me and mine.
I should say that there is no animosity for lads of any color. I hunt ducks with my buddy and his labs a couple of times each month
during waterfowl season. He hunts over my dogs when hunting upland game. Different dogs excel at different types of hunting.

The point that I was trying to make during my original post is that kids and hunters will say some of the most amazing things. Up
until that moment, I had never had another hunter, in the field, that didn't recognize that Ron was a Brittany (correct spelling).
I also had never heard my son make such a comment to another person before, as he is generally a very respectful young man. It
was just one of those moments that makes your head snap around and you say, "What?!"

Oh, and as for that remark about more pheasants being shot over labs than Brittanys each year. My boy limited out, a hunter with
a wiem pulled one down and I missed the one I shot out. According to the DNR official tha was there when we left, those were the
only birds taken that morning. :wink:
3Britts, obviously, none of us know the entire coversation or what was said later. That is why I said I might be wrong and way off base. Also, I know kids can say things with no harm intended. It was not my intent and never has been my intent to offend anybody on here, and I apologize if I did. I was simply commenting on the impression I got from the original post. :)

Charlie

andreasrossouw

Post by andreasrossouw » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:54 am

3Britts i have been around some and where i am from i have never seen a Brittany. I just dont know poeple who own them.I know what they look like because i have seen them on the internet. But when i see them in real life i will probably still be a little unsure and rather ask what breed then calling it a "Yorkie".

cody

Post by cody » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:27 am

only birds taken that morning.
I think I will stand by my comment. I am not saying they are any better, I am just saying that there are probably more people that hunt pheasants with labs then any other breed so by shear numbers there are probably more killed over labs than anything else. Look at all the big preserves in SD most of them run Labs. Bear in mind I have no proof, just a theory.

And really, if you are completly honest Labs and springers work best for pheasants especially those big nasty river bottom roosters in Utah.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:07 pm

hey guy, no offence taken on my part. I meet one of the hunters again this morning. We each had one dog and hunted together for awhile. He thought that it was kind of funny the other day as the owner of the labs that day had been bragging about his dogs quite alot and all they had done was hugged his boots all morning. Turns out that he only lives about two blocks away from me.

Again, nothing against labs. I would own one if I didn't prefer to hunt upland over waterfowl and wanted all that hair in the house. :wink:

Oh, can't do September as the Fall semester will have just started. I have decided to move the SD trip to the second week in December as I can have more time then. I guess that I could pull through a couple of other states on the way home is you'als seasons are still going on. Haven't hunted blue quail yet. Prairie grouse is another story. Not much of a challenge there. :wink: let me know. We will have finish up in Utah where we can hunt some chuckar.

Hunting was better today. Limited on pheasant and pulled two ducks to boot.
Last edited by 3Britts on Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

andreasrossouw

Post by andreasrossouw » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:24 am

Tripping over your own dog hunting i dont think is much fun. How far do the britts range?Same as Gsp's or not?

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:12 am

3Britt's- nice response-
if you should happen to swing down thru the SW Kansas I'd like to meet for a coffee and

as to the coment how far do Britt's range- I was going to answere but where to start- you might be chuckling- maybe you should answere that

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:47 am

Britts range out...Ron is a gundog and runs at 50 to 150 yards, Tania is an AA dog and runs about 200 plus yards, Summer is a Shooting dog and runs at 150 to 300 yards. And yes Shadow, I am chuckling.

andreasrossouw, Britts tend to run at the range you train them at. Depending on the cover, terrain and conditions, my dogs work shorter or longer.

andreasrossouw

Post by andreasrossouw » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:01 pm

Well thanks and good luck with your boys manners training.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:49 pm

so how far does yours range- and I don't think 3Britt's need to do any manner training

andreasrossouw

Post by andreasrossouw » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:07 am

Went out last weekend and he seems to range further and further every time ill say 20-30 meters the last time out and worked his nose perfectly. dont know yards that well.

But Im training him for waterfowl and not upland but he is still just 10 1/2 months but coming on strongly. The fellows i go out with upland hunting have GSP's and before i got Baron i was looking for a GSP. But decided to go for a waterfowl dog so we can have best of both worlds.
As each dog breed has its own set of skills it was bred for.

And i cant get it that somebody gets worked up because the other guys dogs are boothuggers. What does it matter to you its his problem. if you love chuckling, chuckle about it.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:05 am

interesting- so is that the lab you wanted to run against Brittany's

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:58 am

andreasrossouw wrote:Went out last weekend and he seems to range further and further every time ill say 20-30 meters the last time out and worked his nose perfectly. dont know yards that well.

And i cant get it that somebody gets worked up because the other guys dogs are boothuggers. What does it matter to you its his problem. if you love chuckling, chuckle about it.
:D

by shadow
"interesting- so is that the lab you wanted to run against Brittany's"

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:09 am

andreasrossouw-

Dont want to start the whole pointing lab debate but a good one will range over 200 meters if cover and birds allow such range. 20-30 meters aint much, but work for a flusher i would guess. Mine ran to the front and just about same range as my medium range pointer out in the Dakotas, when cover was thick and birds spooky he worked closer as did my EP's.

One thing out there, I think the lab had more finds because he never overran his nose as sometimes the pointers may do.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno