hunting vest

sjkennels

hunting vest

Post by sjkennels » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:10 pm

what is a good hunting vest. the one i have now puts all of the weight on my shoulders and it gets very uncomfortable after walking a while. so whats a good vest that you guys have tried that have been really comfortable?
kick'em up knock'em down

Calisdad

Re: hunting vest

Post by Calisdad » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:24 pm

Almost bought a 'Bird n Lite' strap vest yesterday on ebay. Has water bottles and a spot for a collar controller. There is also a 'Sling vest' on the market with one strap but doesn't have the above features. You can get to the back pocket without taking it off tho. I'd be interested in other responses also.

regards-
C-dad

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:40 pm

Mother......I wore it 4 days in a row....wore very well, only draw back I have seen is the gamebird bag could be a bit bigger, and the side pockets a bit more forward on the hips, but a very nice all day pack.
http://www.mothertech.net/order.html

Chip
Last edited by lvrgsp on Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:57 pm

lvrgsp wrote:Mother......I wore it 4 days in a row....wore very well, only draw back I have seen is the gamebird bag could be a bit bigger, and the side pockets a bit more forward on the hips, but a very nice all day pack.

Chip
Ditto

RangerLes

Post by RangerLes » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:58 am

I really like the Wings Works vest offered by Pheasants Forever. It is very comfortable and functional. It has a large game bag that you can fill without taking the vest off. I hunted with a guy that had a Mothers bag and he had to take his vest off to put a bird in it. The vest comes with two water bottles and holders, two big front pouches for electronics and shells, two zippered side pockets off the rear game bag and a large zippered storage area behind the game bag. There is also a strap on the back to hold a jacket if you get a little hot and have to take off a layer. In addition, I assume that some of the money spent on the vest supports pheasant habitat.

Les

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:19 am

Lion country has a filson tin cloth strap vest on sale in the bargin bin for 70 bucks.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

BDBUzi

Post by BDBUzi » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:08 pm

+1 on the Wingworks. The best vest out there (IMHO).
I bought mine directly from them at http://www.wingworks.biz.

They got my custom measurements, and I received the vest within a couple days. I've hunted over 50 days with it since the beginning of last season, and couldn't be happier with it.

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:45 pm

I have tried many, many different vests from cheap no names to expensive pella's. But by far the best I have found for me is this
http://www.camelbak.com/en/sports-recre ... -vest.aspx.
Big pockets, easy accesss bird bag, waterpack, plenty of room to carry anything you want, and very comfortable.

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:45 pm

birddog1968 wrote:Lion country has a filson tin cloth strap vest on sale in the bargin bin for 70 bucks.
I have this vest and love it! It is tough as nails, lightweight, and you can put your birds in from the front. Good deep pockets.

If this one wears out, I will buy another.

dawgmama

Post by dawgmama » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:03 am

I have the Mother vest, and while it is a bit tricky to get the birds in the game bag, once in, they don't fall out. It has a lot of pockets to stash stuff, and the bungee thingies on the back to hold your jacket as the day warms up. It is well made, and so comfortable, you don't know you have it on. I bought my husband the Wingworks vest, and it is very well made, and the big water bottle holders on each side are great! We hunt grouse and woodcock in northern Wisconsin, and even in the thickest tag-alder hazel brush, the bottles did not fall out. This vest too, has the waist belt to relieve the pressure from your shoulders, and the chest strap to keep the shoulder straps from falling down your arms. The pockets are big, and deep, and can hold at least a box of shells each. (My husband likes to be prepared, he carries a lot of shells, which is weird, 'cause he is a really good shot.) :lol:
"Dead Bird!! Fetch it up!!"
2 English Setters and a 'beasty boy' Wirehair pup in our family of hunters.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:05 pm

I have an old Boyd.(comfortable and easy to put on for any weather. It is just a simple game pouch with two pockets two heavey shoulder straps. I use an old leather lanyard across my belley to tie it, buckle broke years ago. No edges to get caught on thicket, jack firs, alders etc. I like mine but would like more storage for water. Most would not like it for a full day hunt to haul water, food etc. I just carry two bottles of water and a small survival kit.

The camel pack listed looks like a comfortable vest a little different than one I have and don't use. When we got to cold weather that hose did not work to good kept leaking. The wing biz one looks good but too many edges for my taste.

My Grouse needs for a vest are slightly different than an open country hunter.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick