Why I Hunt

SD Pheasant Slayer

Why I Hunt

Post by SD Pheasant Slayer » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:33 am

It was 11:45 this morning when I came upon a realization that my whole world was changing. As a 25 year old college kid (yes, I know, STILL in school) I’ve had the blessing of spending the last few years of my life chasing birds with some of the best friends I could ask for and in the company of some fine dogs. In that time, my two best friends and I have grown into quite the bird hunting team. But, like all things, our adventures and time together are coming to an inevitable conclusion. It won’t happen quickly. It won’t feel like the end this week when Caleb moves seven hours away for his first real job and it won’t happen in May when Justin and I (hopefully) graduate and he takes a job somewhere. We’ll meet up for years for the occasional weekend of hunting and debauchery, but I think we all know what’s coming. We all feel that dread that accompanies an uknown future in unknown places and today that dread became very real for me.

Justin and I rolled out on a pheasant chasing expedition at 9 this morning. We hit the first field at 10 bells and capped a wildly successful public-land hunt that we’ve grown to live for in the autumn and winter months at shortly after 11, when I put our sixth rooster in my gamebag. A fist bump and a few camera pictures later, we loaded up the dogs and plopped down in the truck for the drive home. But, on a day that was similar to so many others, something was different. Something just didn’t seem right. The joy of an exhilarating hunt had faded as realization set in that another adventure was over. And we don’t have a lot of adventures left together.

Laying on the couch at home, I couldn’t shake the feeling that the time I’d been dreading for the last couple years was fast approaching. Caleb missed the hunt because he was looking for a new place to live in some God-forsaken corner of Nebraska. Justin wimped out on a Nebraska hunt because he had to study for his Law School finals. For the first time in my life, I regretted killing a rooster. If I’d unloaded the gun, we’d still be hunting. Heaven knows it would have taken several hours for Justin and his pair of Brittanys to do the work Cash I had done to finish the limit.

It got me to thinking: If I’d rather hunt all day and finish one bird short than shoot a fast limit and be done by noon, then maybe the reason I love to hang out with these guys has nothing to do with chasing birds. I quickly regrouped from my momentary lapse of insanity and put that aside. There is NOTHING I’d rather do than hunt birds. But, that doesn’t mean I could do it alone and enjoy it nearly as much.

I’m not much of a reflector. I prefer to save that for the years when I can’t do anything better. But today I did a little soul searching on what’s made these last years the best ones of my life. There are a lot of answers, and I’d be in deep s#$t if I didn’t mention the fact that I got married and have a baby on the way, but as this is a site devoted to hunting and dogs, I’ll stick to the business at hand and give the reasons why I hunt:

First and foremost, it’s about that group of people that I spend time afield with. I’ve hunted for as long as it’s been legal for me to do so, but have never been so willing to drop all semblance of responsibility as I do around these two:

We’re a motley crew, and never afraid to trade punches on anything from gun preference to breed loyalties. But at the end of the day, we’d be hard-pressed to find a better group of hunting buddies.

Even if they are completely incapable of dressing appropriately for the field:

For anyone that’s had the opportunity, there are few things as rewarding as being a part of a “first hunt.” Over the last couple years, I’ve been a part of a number and will treasure each of them:

While the people that surround me when I’m afield are at the top of this list, my other best hunting buddies aren’t far behind:

While she’s not much to look at (evidenced by her heinous profile shown below) and sports a complete diva attitude, Lilly is a partner I’d take afield anyday.

Bella… What to say about Bella… I’m having a hard time coming up with a clever quip that’s not a complete lie. I guess I’ll have to admit that she’s actually pretty legit when chasing birds (as legitimate as a lab can be anyway).

And of course, Cash. If ever there existed a more perfect specimen of bird finding nature and gentlemenhood (yes, I’m aware that’s not really a word), I’m yet to see it.

Any hunter worth his metal can tell you a story or two about a mishap afield. We all do what we can to avoid the worst, but things happen. Some perils like snakes and skunks can be unavoidable. If we’re fortunate enough to avoid disaster, we can usually look back on these with a bit of a smile and a chuckle:

Of course it helps to have such a good group of friends to chip in when something like a skunk encounter does come up:

I often talk with my friends of the images that are burned into my memory. A dog on point, a rooster flushing, or a flock of geese with their wings set and landing gear down. What I sometimes forget to take in are the images that aren’t directly bird related. Over the last few years I’ve been lucky enough to have a few of these images captured on film, and they will always be a part of the reason I hunt:

Finally, there’s the birds. I’ve always been a fan of the birds. While I don’t need a limit of birds to feel like I’ve had a successful hunt, even the most die-hard hunter can grow frustrated by fruitless labor (especially true for the four-legged hunters I spend my time with). I know the hero shots are deemed “classless” by some, but for those that were there, they still tell a story and I have a lot of great memories summed up in a “tacky” photo of dead birds. Below are some of my favorites of this current season. While the casual viewer sees in them only a pile of feathers, for myself and my buddies, these are just the world's best way to relive an entire hunt in one glimpse:

Reading back through this, I’m sure I missed a lot of reasons why I live for hunting. I do enjoy a well cooked sharptail or other game and that probably fits in there somewhere. Ultimately though, I have come to appreciate most the time that I spend between pointed birds. It’s the crap I get for owning a shorthair, or the heckling I give for shooting a Red Label. It’s getting up early to set up a thousand snow goose decoys in the mud and then sit in a blind for 8 hours without firing a shot, just shooting the s@#t and telling stories. It’s cruising a random dirt road with a can of Skoal and my best friends.
When we all go our separate ways, I’ll still have a lot of reasons to hunt. I just don’t know that they’ll ever be as good. I’m sure I’ll get new hunting buddies down the road, probably a lot of them, but I think I’ll always look back on these as my glory years and try to explain to others why these years have been the reason I’ll always hunt. Hopefully the hunter’s down the road get the chance to find their own reasons:

Almost Heaven's Daddy's Paycheck - "Cash"

"In the end, our society will be defined not by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy."
- John Sawhill

ddoyle

Re: Why I Hunt

Post by ddoyle » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:54 am

Great Post! On another site I posted favorite non-hunt part of the hunt. With wife and kids I rarely get time for "guy time". That what I love breakfast before the hunt talking about past ones and giving each other a hard time about past misses. Again Great Post!
Doyle

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:50 am

Very nice post..... Lifelong friends are always lifelong friends. Never loose touch.
brenda

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:57 am

Very nice. Not too long ago I was in your shoes ending one chapter and starting a new one. Your pics and posts remind me of the years I spent in SD, great times for sure!

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:19 am

Hall of Fame Post nomination!

I have the same exact story with different names and places as I'm sure many of us do but you've captured it beautifully!

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:21 am

You've hit a deep note with me on your post Adam. Excellently done. You are certainly wise beyond your years.
I have some memories from this years adventure to the Grasslands, thanx to yourself and the rest of the "GSP Mafia", that I will forever treasure.

This should be saved in the "Hall of Fame" topics. LOL! Bird Dog 67 beat me to it!
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:18 pm

Your post and your pics are priceless. Thanks for sharing your thoughts...

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:35 pm

Awesome post Adam. Some of us wish we lived out there in the sportsman's paradise to give us more time in the field. I know I'm thankful for the days I get each year even though there are a whole lot more days of walking and sitting in a blind and the only shooting that happens is BS, but it sure beats the office or housework.

SierraMtnBrits

Post by SierraMtnBrits » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:34 am

Loved reading your post, and your pics are outstannding!
~ Yvonne

Happiness is a house full of Brittanys!
www.sierramtnbrittanys.weebly.com
Home to Bang, Trip and Sheldon
Rancho Haven, Nevada

NNV Rebel's Blazn Lil' MissFire JH (Bang)

NNV Bang's Triple Threat Tri (Trip)
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

whoa on 'em

Post by whoa on 'em » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:46 am

I was lucky enough to spend three years in South Dakota, loved every minute of it. It seems like every time I finally suppress the urge to drop everything and head back up there something reminds me of why I loved it. Your post has done that, thank you.
Happiness is a warm gun.

adogslife

Post by adogslife » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:56 am

Great post.
Hope you printed it for a good read in a few years and years and years to come.

adogslife