Looking for a Couple Pigeons in Baltimore County, Maryland

rollick

Looking for a Couple Pigeons in Baltimore County, Maryland

Post by rollick » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:40 am

Hello,
A friend wants 3 or 4 pigeons to work her pup. The only place she has found around these parts sells them by the "crate," which is a lot more than she wants. Any ideas (beyond the obvious trapping her own :? )
Many thanks,
Andie

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Re: Looking for a Couple Pigeons in Baltimore County, Maryland

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:17 am

build a pen for a crate full.....gonna need em anyway.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

FLocker

Post by FLocker » Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:32 pm

Keeping birds alive humanely at your house is a terrible pain. A few suspects would be:

1. Urban feed stores that cater to pigeon racers and cockfighters often have pigeons for sale. (not usually in the best parts of town, but i am a regular at one of several in my city)

2. Take your wife to a Spanish restaurant. Order the Squab. Compliment the chef on the delectable bird, and ask who his supplier is. He does not get his squab frozen.

3. Call an animal trapper out of the phone book. I met one who invited me to meet him at one of his jobs. I stopped him and thanked him when he put his tenth in the box.

Fieldmaster

Post by Fieldmaster » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:11 pm

I got some young Homers available. I am in Hagerstown ,MD

Robert Grove
(301)745-5472
gspgrove@verizon.net

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:23 am

Couple more suggestions:

There may well be a rural animal auction that sells poultry within easy driving distance. They will often have pigeons in small lots, at least they do around me.

If one needs only a few birds, you can probably buy two or three chuckar in several places. Chuckar will work almost as good as pigeons for most things, and they stay planted a whole lot better than pigeons. You might need a permit in some locales so be sure to get a receipt for any gamebirds. Google NAGA(North American Gamebird Assn.)

Check with rural feed/grain operators. They may well know where pigeon fanciers are located in your area. They would probably be able to direct you to livestock/poultry auctions as well. They might know a farmer or two who has a kid willing to do some trapping for you.

Find a local Navhda chapter. Call and ask about training. Go from there.

Call any nearby field trial trainers that you know, amateur or pro. They probably have them on site or have a source. Pigeons are fairly prolific, so, like Mr. Grove above, they may have a few they do not need.

RayG