lab pup

evantraylor

lab pup

Post by evantraylor » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:11 pm

hi, im lookin to get a lab pup. i would like to get one from a strong line of hunters. i am also in the houston area. does anyone know any breeders in this area? i would prefer a yellow, or chocolate. thanks

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Re: lab pup

Post by mcbosco » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:06 am

My buddy in New Orleans suggested that Hendrix Kennels in Katy would be a good place to start.

12guns

Post by 12guns » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:18 pm

I also am getting a Lab pup. Mine is coming from a good friend of mine that breeds on the side. His pups sell anywhere from 650-1000 depending on the litter. I've seen the pups grow and make awesome duck dogs. I have spoken for a male out of the latest litter, last I checked he had one female unspoken for. He is legit, the Daddy is Batman who's father was Ebony and Ivory. Mother is Skillet who's father was Fast Willie. Both champion dogs. Let me know if you're interested. He doesn't have a kennel, but breeds at his house and sells by word of mouth. He's prolly been through 6 or 7 litteres over past 6 years or so. Call my cell if you like and I'll get you in touch w/ him. Evan 479-886-2327

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:47 pm

do yourself a favor and forget chocolates.......
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

evantraylor

Post by evantraylor » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:56 pm

why do you say that?

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:00 pm

Because on average you will not get as good of a dog when you select for a certain trait such as chocolate. Trust me he is correct. If you really want one I have one I'll give ya.

Maybe I should expand. Too often the overriding decision on breeding is the color, such as chocolate, rather than ability. As a result the average pup out of that breeding is not as good as a pup where color is immaterial and performance is the true judge. IMHO there is a reason you see very few, although more each year, FC Chocolates vs Blacks or Yellows.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:32 pm

when I die I will be able to count the decent choc's Ive seen on one hand.

There really is a difference.

Now that might offend some choc owners as it usually does so take it for what its worth.

Personally nothing but black ones for me.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:39 pm

muddycreek wrote:Because on average you will not get as good of a dog when you select for a certain trait such as chocolate. Trust me he is correct. If you really want one I have one I'll give ya.

http://www.browndogretrievers.net/

This guy is not far from you, he would be a good resource. I think their point lies in the fact that just a few pairings can produce chocolate puppies, so a strong hunting chocolate is inherently harder to breed.

12guns

Post by 12guns » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:37 am

Sorry, Batman, the dad of my pup has never bred any chocs or yellows. And that's out of 6 or 8 litters. The breeder says Blacks are superior. That's just what he says. He still has the female avail if you're interested.