Best way to approach landowners to train?

GSPVIZ

Best way to approach landowners to train?

Post by GSPVIZ » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:09 pm

Hi All,

I will be moving to an area which has more open fields than my previous home.

I am hoping that I can find someone who will let me run my dogs on their property.

If anyone has had success doing this, what was the best way to approach the landowner?

Thanks,

Matt

kerplunk105

Re: Best way to approach landowners to train?

Post by kerplunk105 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:14 pm

I've just found the house, gone up and asked them..most of the time they are more then willing..at least the one's I've asked. I usually take my dog so they can see that she is friendly and healthy.
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

alex0742

Post by alex0742 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:07 am

Down here in Texas a major concern is your dog running their livestock. Be prepared to address that.

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:36 am

Obviously it depends on the area, but most of the farms (around here) are crop producing. Very few have cows, which my dogs ignore any ways.
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:43 am

I did that on a commercial nursery in a part that was essentially dormant and overgrown. It was about 50 acreas and fully fenced in. I sent a card and a bottle of wine and I was in.

I guess be gracious even if a card and gift is not required.

Sal

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:49 am

lived in town for some 30 years- know what you mean- best to forget it during hunting season

drive your non washed, non polished vehicle, in regular everyday clothes alone with one dog- state what you are asking- state if you are going to be shooting- let them see your dog, preferably let your dog out if it has manners- if it looks like they are interested, say you enjoy getting away from town and wouldn't mind helping them out a bit

briarpatch

Post by briarpatch » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:55 am

Matt are you staying in NJ?

hows the dogs after the trainer?

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:09 am

All, of the suggestions are right on.

I would add a little to Shadow's.
As stated go well before you wish to work your dogs, meet the folks with your well mannered dog.
Let them know what you will be doing what is involved.
Once they say yes:
Many folks up hear own the land but live out of state and they like someone to look over things for them.
I have one land owner that loves folks using his land, we have certain dates that he does not want gun shooting because he has cabin rentals and some of those folks don;t want to hear the gun fire.
Ask the land owner if there are any restrictions or preferances.
If you see trash laying around pick it up. (I have made a couple trips to the dump from others leaving couches, desks etc. on his land.)
Another thing with one of the land owners, He likes to hunt when he comes up from CT. So, I do not use a recall pen for the quail, or chuckars. I leave some of the pheasants also. By hunting season, the ones that survive get flying real good and act fairly wild, so I also get to work my dog on some what wild birds.

At the end of the year, Christmas, I send he and his wife a nice sized gift certificate to their favorite resturaunt in Augusta. They have never asked anything of me or from me. Just to keep an eye out for stuff and lock the gate when I am done. Been on this land for8 years. The other piece 10 years. With these two parcels and my own land we get pretty good diversity of cover to train in.

Just be up front, cordial, and let them know you will treat all as your own and look out for their interests.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

GSPVIZ

Post by GSPVIZ » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:02 am

Thanks for the ideas!

Dennis, I am staying in NJ.

Honestly I have not had the dogs on birds since they have been at the trainer. It's hard with a new baby, moving, etc. :roll:

I am planning to hunt this Saturday so we'll see.

BlueRiverSpringer

Post by BlueRiverSpringer » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:11 am

I agree with the above, garbage ect. all good. We train 2-3 times a week during trial season, so we needed a good field. We actualy do release several birds every year because of misses or many we just flush and do not shoot because of a training stage, so let them know that there will be an increase in birds. Many adult birds do survive. We then never hunt it, we let them enjoy it if they want. Also we looked for a field that was no where near their home or someone elses, that avoids conflict over gun fire ect. We noticed thistle problems, so we offered to spray, we did and both benifitted, after spraying he offered more ground butting up to the field because he was mowing it to try and keep them at bay. So basicaly now whatever we want to spray we can let grow and use. So we split the cost between all who train and give the guy a gift card for a 100$ at mills fleet farm too. Also have given him Pheasants to eat that are nice birds for eating after training when ever he wants. The most important thing is to pick up any trash as said above, even if it blew in from three states over. Good luck