cold weather gear

basspow

cold weather gear

Post by basspow » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:35 pm

any recommendation for shooting gloves and headwear when the weather really gets COLD.

ohiohuntinweim

Re: cold weather gear

Post by ohiohuntinweim » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:04 pm

I just use mechanix style gloves, works pretty well. Found a pair at home depot that are lightly insulated but still have good dexterity for when it gets really cold. If I wear too much on my dome i start to sweat when I am out. If its cold a blaze orange fleece windstopper stocking hat, sorta cold I tie a dew rag on under a ball cap.
Jeremy

"Going to the woods is going home." -John Muir

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:55 pm

I am not sure what you mean by really cold, but:

1) Wear a good vest, keeping your core warm helps keep your hands warm and feet. Same with a good wool hat.
2) Most of the time it is a matter of cutting down the wind on your hands. I use thin when the temp is down below 20's Walmart had some.
3) A glove with fleece or wool work pretty well if not too tight so as to allow air flow around your fingers. Keep your hands dry.
4) Just a note on boots, many folks keep their boots inside or in a warm spot in camp or the house. Don't do that, keep them by the door or in a cool spot. When you have your boots in a warm or hot spot they retain the heat and you put them on, (feels good until you get out for a while walking) your feet sweat and your feet get cold quickly in most cases regardless of how many grams of insulation, except maybe the polar boots the army wears in the artic.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:16 pm

not sure what you are describing in real cold- yesterday morning was 17 degree and 18 mph wind- deerskin gloves, thermal underwear, canvas bibs and a sweatshirt- course I was walking behind 4 bird dogs and not standing facing the wind