Large groups own the field

Shadow

Large groups own the field

Post by Shadow » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:36 pm

really pissed me off- noone had come to hunt these feilds- so I figure a good time to head out with pups and adults-

Garmins on and we head off into the wind- a few points- I'm handling the pups to come around and be a part of it- so we have 2 roosters in the bag- Carmin says Shadow is on point 267 yards- we head hat way me handling the pups to swing arround- criminy sakes- field is full of blaze orange

I lookback at my vehicle- 3 trucks parked behind it- I'm more concerned with Shadow way out there- as I now can see the field-

I get to Shadow who has a point- can see 20 or so blaze orange coming- I run to Shadow and flush drop a rooster- he retrieves but is acting strange- hard thing to do- I get them all turned and hurry to my vehicle- load the Britt's- other vehicles have me blocked- I drive out across the field and head down the road- 7 vehicles- hunters possitioned on the road- as I drive up-

needless to say I'm pissed- one older guy stands there smiling- I ask him- "how stupid can you be, pull right behind my vehicle blocking me, and then crowd the field without any consideration, kowing I'm here with 4 dogs, and then some of you are rushing up to my dog on point"

he says we didn't see you or your dogs-

so- cooling down- "you got your written permission slips to be on this property"
guy says " AJ has the slips we can call him"

naaaaaaa- lets call the county sherrif- as I pull out my cell phone- all sorts of appoligies as the hunters come off the field crowding arround us two-

short of it was- I laughed at him- "you didn't get any shots did you, I shot 3 roosters, and if I wasn't so concerned with my male who was arround you guys I would have stayed and shot another right in front of you"

what gets me is- these large groups are so sure of themselves and taking over a field that they forget some one might just rattle their cage- you wonder sometimes why so called hunters don't get shot

ohiohuntinweim

Re: Large groups own the field

Post by ohiohuntinweim » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:48 pm

I get this kind of attitude all the time, just usually on public ground. i had been working my Smokey and the pup I had at the time (last season) in a field. A group of 5 guys (who could see us working the whole half mile they had to walk to get there.) with several dogs. Walk right towards me from the far end of the field. When I said "thanks guys, you saw me the whole time" the answer i got...."You would have done the same thing"

Funny thing is I wouldn't, had the opportunity to many times and passed. sO i Tld him "no I wouldn't I actually have ethics"

After a coupe scary days on public ground this year I may have officially given it up!! Well atleast around here!! If I want my fill of birds and dog work close to home its off to a preserve.
Jeremy

"Going to the woods is going home." -John Muir

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:02 pm

yeh- the high and mighty- what got me was the gall of the idiots as they had 7 or so dogs and I had both dog boxes in my vehicle- it was simple- they wanted the field, had more people (I won't call them hunters), knew that they could crowd the field and get me off- so did as planned

course as can be expect "we have permission"

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:17 pm

I had a maddening experience also. My dog was on point. I saw a guy and his Weim coming across the field. I raised my hand and hollered "birds" , in case he didn't see my dog. He just kept coming, his dog flushed the birds, he shot ( missed twice). I was proud of my dog for holding through all of that but boy, was I mad. That will be the day for me when being able to shoot a bird comes before safety and ethics.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:22 pm

Sorry to hear about your day. I've been there and it sure gets ya hopping mad! Hopefully with deer season opening and colder weather the big groups are fewer and farther between.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:25 pm

right- guns in the field- you are mad- but walk away- I left my gun in the vehicle- and the vehicle running- I just wanted to tell them they were a bunce of stupid nuts- doubt it even sank in- you get 7 ot so guys cracking smiles with others coming- I wasn't sticking arround- I only thought by me saying something they would think next time

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:39 pm

muddycreek wrote:Sorry to hear about your day. I've been there and it sure gets ya hopping mad! Hopefully with deer season opening and colder weather the big groups are fewer and farther between.
actually- made my day- I was there first- in front of them- shooting- and had 3 roosters- and we'd covered the better part of the 1/2 mile field- they never shot- now how good do you think that made me feel- I drove away but sat at the corner watching the discussion and loading up and driving the other way- I'm still laughing

what is comical- most that come here got permission last year from the son that lived here- but this year it's posted "written permission only"

heck- hard for me to figure it out- hasn't seemed like the groups have gotten any shooting- I take mine out where they've been- and I get roosters

you wonder if some are paying attention to shots heard- thus going out

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:44 pm

I know of a guy that carries a pair of tin snips for just such occasions. When people are hunting his land without permission, snip, snip,snip valve stems gone, and point made. He is a heck of a good guy, ask and you will receive, tresspass and you shall really receive...

You did the right thing, but somehow a moral victory doesn't feel so right when your dogs and your personal safety are so blatently disregarded.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:08 pm

muddycreek wrote:I know of a guy that carries a pair of tin snips for just such occasions. When people are hunting his land without permission, snip, snip,snip valve stems gone, and point made. He is a heck of a good guy, ask and you will receive, tresspass and you shall really receive...

You did the right thing, but somehow a moral victory doesn't feel so right when your dogs and your personal safety are so blatently disregarded.
agreed- but I have a story to tell- I was the only one allowed to hunt a large farm- came back to my vehicle only to find the license plate gone and a note on my window-
note said " you are tresspassing and will need to pay a $500.00 fine and to come to the house to pay and get your license plate"
so I drive to the house= the old man is really pissed- to many have been on his property- he wanted to teach a lesson- so I wrote him a check and got my license plate-

back in town I visited the sherriff- he asked to let him visit with them- I got a call- "would you sign a statement agreeing to the land owner making a mistake and not pressing charges" sherrif had my check- I agreed- you see- that was extorsion- he would have spent time in jail

someone bother a vehicle best be very carefull- especially if they do it to make a point

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:16 pm

muddycreek wrote:I know of a guy that carries a pair of tin snips for just such occasions. When people are hunting his land without permission, snip, snip,snip valve stems gone, and point made. He is a heck of a good guy, ask and you will receive, tresspass and you shall really receive...

And we are upset because someone hunts the ground we are on so we do something really stupid like damage someone's property. Wonder which one would spend the most time in jail.

There has to be a better way than to out stupid someone.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:33 pm

I'd like to clarify I wouldn't do that, rather the landowner had done that in the past. If I remember the story correctly the landowner had told the party no and they hunted it anyway.

On second thought if I would be in the same situation I would as well...these are the people that are what is really hurting the hunting tradition and closing otherwise available acres to the honest hunter. Maybe I have a different view as I am a landowner, both my family and my in-laws are landowners and the stuff you end up going thru is a real pain.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:49 pm

I had the same thing happen at the public ground locally here,I've got a big going horseback dog,I ALWAYS wait until 2 oclock or later to hunt him,well I took him out,no other cars in either parking lot,I made the loop around the wma to make sure.Strapped on the astro and proceeded to hunt,everything was going pretty good,he was getting with the program but was manageable at 300 yards,well he got on an edge and really hit a lick,pretty soon the garmin said 870 yards and pointing so I start trudging on over towards his direction,next thing I see is four guys in orange,dog is still on point and the arrow is telling me he's right where the sea of orange is,I close the gap somemore I'm at 400 now,then I see it a truck parked right along the road ditch,then I hear it Bang Bang and theres birds in the air,dog is still pointing,then I hear hollering,Boom out rockets the dog and he starts back in my direction while the orange blobs collect up their birds and jump the sheep fence.I was HOTTTTT!Not because I didn't get any shooting in,but rather because those yahoos got out and flushed the dogs birds,I was pretty impressed that he minded his manners but it was a situation I would rather have not exposed him to.

A rancher in S.E. Washington's got a nasty cure for tresspassers,his best freind is the local Judge,if you get caught on his land you are given 2 options,1000 dollar fine payable to the rancher or 7 days worth of labor building fence,the offender has to supply their own room and board.Needless to say he doesn't get any business from locals,it's those that travel in and don't know the circumstances that get clipped.

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:06 pm

Here in NJ it seems that this year there are more people than ever hunting the public land on bird stocking days. I've had my license, stamps, game bag, and gun checked more times this year by Conservation Officers than ever before. Perhaps it's because so many people are out of work these days, they are going hunting because they can. The problem is that there are just enough jerks out there to make life miserable. What I do when I encounter one is give them a wide berth. However, if I see them doing something illegal or unsafe, I call the nearest NJ Fish & Wildlife Regional Law Enforcement Office, and the emergency numbers are programmed in my mobile phone. That's how I strike back - legally.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:06 am

even if you own the land or farm it with the rights- you still can't do anything except tell them to leave, call the authorities, take license numbers

another episode a few years ago-
same place I always hunted and I was the only one with permission- thing is- it was muddy so I parked on the road

I'm hunting with three Britts and they go on point- as I walk up three guys are closing in- they have guns I have a gun- they order me off the property- I say I have permission you don't- one old guy says what are you going to do- I said head back to my vehicle and leave-

he says good luck- I have your coil wire- I smile and get the Britt's to head away- I load them up- open my hood- sure enough coil wire is gone- window vent is jimmied- I have a coat hanger wire- vehicle starts so I drive to the farm house- we talk- we go see what's up- farmer is pissed and has his 30-30- he'd told me to order off anyone I should see on his property- saying that the neighbor was thinking he had the right to run folks off just because of some hunters and his land bordered this section-

anyway- you ever ridden in a farmers truck going across country who is pissed off- we found them walking to their truck- I was thinking someone was going to get shot- the farmer wasn't going to bother with the law- he grabbed his gun and told them to get saying if he ever caught them on his side he'd be shooting first- they gave me my coil wire

farmer said I could park in his yard if I wanted or drive thru the gate and park where I liked-