Flat Coated Retreiver or Griffon? or?????

bunnyhunter

Flat Coated Retreiver or Griffon? or?????

Post by bunnyhunter » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:39 am

Hi, I live in Central Alberta Canada, and its 0 degres F today.....

I have been wanting a versatile bird dog for several years now and I "think" I have narrowed it down to two breeds.

I spend my day at home ( I do not work ) or I spend it it the the thick, dense canadian woods. I love love love duck hunting, some grouse and rabbit.

I had a brittany growing up ( I trained her),she was extremely high strung, but fantastic hunter. I am not too keen on that breed as a house companion.

I have researched breeds available here, and that would like dense woods and water and are good for duck and grouse. the ones that came up are the wirehaired pointing griffon, and the flat coated retreiver. they can jump into a gnarly stumpy beaver pond and get that duck, regardless of weather! and can hunt grouse very close in dense brush.I also have hear these breeds make excellent house dogs, and I find them gorgeous animals.

I want a dog that is versatile, yet happy to be my daily companion, cuddly and can handle a cat and child. and the COLD!

would love thoughts on breeds...but not the actual breeders unless they are in Alberta, BC or Saskatchewan as I would want to visit ( drive) and check them out.

thanks ever so much
Jennifer
Image Duckman " I've seen plenty of guys with smaller bills than me....
not that I look at other guys bills."

texscala

Re: Flat Coated Retreiver or Griffon? or?????

Post by texscala » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:20 am

I can make a few comments on the WPG. I have a buddy that has one and it seems to fit the bill of what you are looking for. It can take the cold, will go into anything no matter how thick, and it can find upland birds no problem. It is also an excellent retriever and I have seen it retrieve rabbits as well.

The thing you should know about them is they tend to be close ranging, the beard usually means they are going to drip water after they drink which could be a problem in the house, and they don't tend to handle the heat very well (living so far up north that is probably a non issue).

Good luck.

GUNSMOKE

Post by GUNSMOKE » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:14 pm

Another thing to remember or keep in mind about an WPG is they tend to be very much a 1 person dog. So much so that some of them can be a bit of a problem to have around.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:25 pm

If you pick a flat coat ( beautiful dog) make sure you pick your breeder very carefully; make sure you are getting a dog from several generations of hunting dogs.
See the parents work.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

AndersonSkiTeam

Post by AndersonSkiTeam » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:55 pm

I also live in Alberta and currently have a GWP. She handles the cold fine and retrieves in fairly frigid water. That being said I really like the idea of WPG. They seem to fit what you want perfectly and handle the cold even better than the GWP. I have been looking and it is not easy to find a good breeder as it is not a very common dog compared to GWP or GSP ext. Also be certain if you go this route you get some good hunting lines. I find a lot of these dogs are dual show and hunting but for what you are doing I would go the stronger hunt lines. I don't know that much about the dogs but there is a breeder in Beaver Lodge Alberta I believe that dropped a litter a month or so ago. I think this is the link http://www.razorsedge-griffs.ca/.

Good Luck and hope to see what you decide.

Fireside

Post by Fireside » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:55 pm

Had a Flat-Coat for a number of years. Great duck/goose dog (out of show lines, finished show CH). Temperament of a upbeat Labrador, easy in the house and great in the field. Loved the snow and ice! Will always miss that boy!

Winglish

Post by Winglish » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:18 pm

Another thing to remember or keep in mind about an WPG is they tend to be very much a 1 person dog. So much so that some of them can be a bit of a problem to have around.
:o GUNSMOKE, I've never heard anything like this before in my life, nor has it been my experience at all! I really think you've got your breeds mixed up. Are you sure you're not thinking Drahthaar or something??? Let me quote from the breed standard, which I find accurate as heck:
The Griffon’s easy trainability, devotion to family, and friendly temperament endear him to all. He thrives on human companionship and prefers to be house dog. ...The Griffon has a quick and intelligent mind and is easily trained. He is outgoing, shows a tremendous willingness to please and is trustworthy. He makes an excellent family dog as well as a meticulous hunting companion.
The griff would fit your desires to a "T", bunnyhunter. PM me for more information on the breed if you'd like.
Like Christmas and the flu, sometimes more than once per year is too much.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:28 pm

Might take a look at tollers.....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno