need a trainer after season ends

mmbrown

need a trainer after season ends

Post by mmbrown » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:29 pm

hey guys i know its been along time since i been on here been really busy with school and work and deer hunting sorry bout that. my pup will be 4 months the 20th she is doing great. however im looking for a trainer to take her to after season ends. i have looked at a few but the best ive found kinda close to me is prince gundogs out of kansas he sounds really good. if you guys have any other that are good and not along long way from amarillo texas please let me know and any other suggestions will be greatly appriciated. she is doing great she sits, will come when called and loves to retrive so i think im off to a good start but just dont have time to train her myself. im going home to take her out wednesday and thursday in guymon oklahoma on some quail and phesant no gun though, im also gunna buy some pen raised quail so i know she will have some contact with birds. all the help will be appriciated thanks

thanks matt brown
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: need a trainer after season ends

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:16 pm

jim gourley of www.setterdogs.com
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:22 pm

John Prince as you mentioned does a pretty good job at a very reasonable price.I'm sure there are others close & you will get some more ideas from members here.Your pup only being 4 mos old so I don't think there is any rush to serious training as of yet.One thing I would suggest is that you forget having the dog sit untill after his training.Good Luck!! & enjoy the fun. :D

Southwind

Post by Southwind » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:47 pm

You might want to send a PM to chiefdog here on the forum. He is down near Guymon, and is a heck of a trainer. Also, tommyboy72 lives in Guymon. If he can't train her I'm sure he can point you in the right direction.

Steve

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:48 pm

I will have openings at the end of Jan, but I would have to agree with VZ. Slow down, enjoy the pup, let it be a pup, you have the rest of the dogs life to train it. The dog would only be 6 months old and wont be able to take the pressure like a year old pup.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:07 pm

Check out Travis Ruff at http://progundog.com/ out of Hanston, KS. He has done real well by me. As others have said, enjoy the pup.

sjkennels

Post by sjkennels » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:46 pm

i have talked to topher40 a few times and hes a heck of a guy and he will do you right and tell you how it is and not beat around the bush with and another person is drew zink i think thats how you spell his name he knows his dogs too pm me if you want his number
kick'em up knock'em down

TexasAggie09

Post by TexasAggie09 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:30 pm

Check out Carlie Rose at Wildrose gsp. He breeds and trains dogs in Seymour, Tx. Thats about 3.5 hours from amarillo. He is a standup guy from all accounts.

www.wildrosegermanshorthairs.com

He posts on the pointing dog journal internet message boards as well.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:14 am

Good call SJ, Drew Zink is a heck of a nice guy and KNOWS his dogs to.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
785-288-0461

-Thomas Paine

mmbrown

Post by mmbrown » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:44 am

Can someone post the link to the website or contact information for drew zinc please. I can't find his website or contact information anywhere thanks

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:05 am

Drew Zink

1438 se 90th Street Turon,ks.67583
620-546-3966

www.andonkennels.com
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
785-288-0461

-Thomas Paine

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:45 pm

Matt I just saw this post and can give you an excellent trainer at Boys Ranch right outside of Amarillo. His name is Adrian Jackson and he works at the Boys Ranch facility and lives on the grounds but owns a kennel that is only about 5 or 6 miles from his house. Give me a call if you want his number or you can email him at his website which is http://www.pokerstraightkennel.com/. I am just not sure about posting his phone number on the forum but if you want it give me a call and I will give it to you. He is a first rate trainer, breeder, and trialer and a stand up guy.

tom

mkitchen

Post by mkitchen » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:44 pm

Matt,

I would give John Prince a call. He trains shorthairs and is a stand-up guy. I am a brittany guy and he has given me lots of advice and let me train at his facilities. I have no connection to him other than him listening to my situation and then him giving me advice from his training experiences. If you are close to the area I would for sure give him a chance.

Matt

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:03 am

tommyboy72 wrote:Matt I just saw this post and can give you an excellent trainer at Boys Ranch right outside of Amarillo. His name is Adrian Jackson and he works at the Boys Ranch facility and lives on the grounds but owns a kennel that is only about 5 or 6 miles from his house. Give me a call if you want his number or you can email him at his website which is http://www.pokerstraightkennel.com/. I am just not sure about posting his phone number on the forum but if you want it give me a call and I will give it to you. He is a first rate trainer, breeder, and trialer and a stand up guy.

tom
Look no further than Adrian he is everything Tommyboy says.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:24 am

whoever you end up going with, you should get bird introduction now, any formal training to come when the pup is around 12-18 months old.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:59 pm

Just wanted to add that the female pointer that is the mother of those pups that you came by and looked at at my house came from Adrian's kennel and was out of one of his male trial dogs. Good luck with whoever you choose Matt. Tim Hidalgo up here in Hardesty also trains some good dogs. My buddy Dave Scott in Guymon is a first rate trainer as well and is a GSP afficianado but I am not sure how busy he is with work so I am not sure if he would have time to train her for you but he is one of the best as well.

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:13 am

Bailey looks really good Matt; How is she coming along for you?
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

Chief_dog

Post by Chief_dog » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:54 am

I agree with Tom and Duane.... I also highly recommend Adrian Jackson. He is a first class person and birddog man, and I would not hesitate to send a dog to him. Plus he is very close to you, so it would be easy for you to keep track of the pup's progress, and more importantly, Adrian would be able to train YOU as well as the dog.

Thanks Southwind and Tom for recommending me, but I'm just an amateur and don't take in dogs from the public. However, if you ever need any help, feel free to contact me and you can come up to Guymon and run dogs with me.