Pup flips ear back when searching fields ?

Jon

Pup flips ear back when searching fields ?

Post by Jon » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:42 am

I have noticed when we are working fields with wild birds my pup seems to flip his ear back and keep it there. If he flips that ear down, he flips the other side back before to long. But he never flips both back at the same time, only one or the other.

At first I figured the ear just flipped back on it's own when running but, then I noticed a pattern.

I've watched him when he hears a bird calling look directly at that location with his nose in the air while stopped as if to verify the bird is where the call came from. At almost 6 mo. he is putting all this together and finding birds like crazy.

Someone once told me bird dogs don't listen for bird calls they search for scent but, I've watched my pup listen and then search for the bird that just called until he found and pointed it.

Does he flip his ear back to listen for the calls ? It sure looks that way. Does he use the calls to find birds ? It sure looks that way. It all makes sense to me that he is using all his options to find birds.

What do you think ?

Does your dog do this or is Ammo teaching himself a new style :lol:

Anything wrong with this method ? He is not sight pointing but, uses the call to locate the birds location and then moves towards it until he scents the bird and points it. He has started holding on his own until I flush the bird so he isn't just running over there following the call to bust the bird.

It's working great from what I see. Any opinions ?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:57 am

Don't think a dog has muscles in his ears so they can't flip them at will. Some will get them laying back when running in the wind. I'm sure a dog can learn to listen for birds but the primary sense is smell. And that is the way we want them to search. A dog with any experience will possibly know the sound is coming from a bird and might try to find it but hopefully it will stay with you instead as you are the one he is hunting for.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:13 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Don't think a dog has muscles in his ears so they can't flip them at will. Some will get them laying back when running in the wind. I'm sure a dog can learn to listen for birds but the primary sense is smell. And that is the way we want them to search. A dog with any experience will possibly know the sound is coming from a bird and might try to find it but hopefully it will stay with you instead as you are the one he is hunting for.

Ezzy
I agree with ezzy here the dogs dont have muscles in his ears but ezzy i think he means the dog is flicking his head so the ear lays back.

TNovoa

Post by TNovoa » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:22 pm

My almost-6-month-old's ears are always flipping around. At our conformation classes, it drove our teacher nuts. My belief is that they're still growing into those big puppy ears at this point. Their ears are too big for their head and flapping in the wind or with movement. They don't seem to care to fix them on their own either, it just doesn't bother them.

Give it time, I'm sure it won't continue. Isn't puppy stage the greatest?!?

portsider44

Post by portsider44 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:53 pm

Tracy Novoa wrote:My almost-6-month-old's ears are always flipping around. At our conformation classes, it drove our teacher nuts. My belief is that they're still growing into those big puppy ears at this point. Their ears are too big for their head and flapping in the wind or with movement. They don't seem to care to fix them on their own either, it just doesn't bother them.

Give it time, I'm sure it won't continue. Isn't puppy stage the greatest?!?
I am in the same boat with my 5 mth old V. Hopefully she will grow into those big ol'ears soon.

llewgor

Post by llewgor » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:47 pm

Jon
I think your dog is using it's ears to listen for birds. I don't know about the flipping part, but it will use all it's senses to find birds.
Billy
"Change the way you look at things, and the things you look at change"

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=147

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=152

Jon

Post by Jon » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:46 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Don't think a dog has muscles in his ears so they can't flip them at will. Some will get them laying back when running in the wind. I'm sure a dog can learn to listen for birds but the primary sense is smell. And that is the way we want them to search. A dog with any experience will possibly know the sound is coming from a bird and might try to find it but hopefully it will stay with you instead as you are the one he is hunting for.Ezzy
Thanks for the input everyone. Let me explain a little better. Sorry for the Long reply but it seems to be the only way.

Ammo shakes his head sometimes or runs and his ear will stay all the way back like in my avatar if he doesn't shake his head again to flip it down. It does fold back and stay so that it requires a little effort if I push it forward. It doesn't just fall down once he stops running is what I'm trying to explain. He has to shake his head to flip it back down. That's normal right ?

He can do this with both ears but never does it with both at the same time. Now let me explain why I think he is listening for the calls and flips one ear to hear better but maybe keeps the other ear down for scenting.

Keep a open mind...

I have a bird pen that Ammo has seen since he was 8 wks old. He sees, hears the quail and pigeons calling and knows what they sound and smell like at this point. I have had one or two birds get out from time to time and they fly off until they feel safe to try and come back to the pen. When they are hiding and calling to the other quail from a location other than the pen (if Ammo is out in the yard when they try to come back) he looks in the direction of the quail that are not in the pen and starts trying to scent it while moving that way. It doesn't take long before he finds it and off goes the quail. I'm explaining this to prove he knows exactly what the quail calls sound like and lights up when he hears them. He is just now learning that he can't catch them and started pointing and holding on his own.

He will be hunting for me in the future but, right now we are just training and he doesn't go more than 50-75 yards away most of the time at his current age. ( I'm a foot hunter so that is fine )When he hears a bird in the grass it's not coming from 1/4 mile away, it's normally pretty close. But when he hears it and recognizes the call he tries to pick up scent in that direction.

How this came about :

pup has been around birds since he was 8 wks old until almost 6 mo. and learned from them, he should know his prey well enough to find them by calls as well as scent shouldn't he ?

Example: Try putting a rabbit call out while hunting and see how many coyotes come running, because they know the sounds of their prey. It wasn't the scent that brings them running.

Without a bird pen it would prob. take a dog 5-10 yrs. to get that kind of exposure and then he still may never put the two together unless he points the bird while it is calling. Ammo grew up looking at the quail while they are calling so he knows their sounds as well as their scent which appears to make a killer combination.

Has anybody with a bird pen full of birds raised a pup close enough to see and hear the birds and if so have you noticed the dog using the calls and scent together to find birds ?

I'm sure my pup is doing it and the combo has to increase the odds of finding birds. Why would you want to limit your dog to only scent ? Isn't his job to find birds ? If he can use more than one of his senses wouldn't that work in his favor ? Your favor if you want to find more birds...

I had asked a question along this line back when I first brought Ammo home and was told dogs don't find birds by sound they find them by scent and birds don't sit around calling all the time etc.

This is why I'm asking again now that I have watched Ammo follow the calls looking for scent.

Anybody else try teaching this combo ?

Thanks again :)

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:52 pm

We don`t teach it, but an intellgent dog does figure out the sound associated with finding birds. Is he flipping his ears to hear them? No. He can hear them plenty well without that. Pups ears just flip around. I always know when their ear is flipped on point, they hit it hard.
brenda

Jon

Post by Jon » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:16 pm

snips wrote:We don`t teach it, but an intellgent dog does figure out the sound associated with finding birds.
If a 6 mo. old puppy figure's it out, he must be really smart.

Good Blood Line :wink:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:17 pm

My two yr old still does it. Happens when he is running

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Casper

Post by Casper » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:14 pm

I think there is something wrong with your dog.

Can you put some chuckar in that pen so he gets used to them then sell him to me I would like to buy your reject :lol: :wink:

It is probably just a smart puppy. At least he knows how to use his brain I just relized my lab has everything else to make a good dog except having a brain. :roll:

Jon

Post by Jon » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:22 am

Casper wrote:Can you put some chuckar in that pen so he gets used to them then sell him to me I would like to buy your reject :lol: :wink:

It is probably just a smart puppy. At least he knows how to use his brain
I'm sure a pup / dog would learn about any prey animal you put in the pen and allowed it to study for a few months.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I've had a lot of offers on my reject puppy when visiting FT, NSTRA, NAVHDA events :wink:

I read a book about developing your dogs brain from a very young age ( not just letting your puppy be a puppy, eat and sleep ) forces the brain to build more brain cells which in turn creates a pup with a larger brain than average, that dog then has the ability to exceed others with less brain cells. All I can say to this is Ammo learns very fast.

If you push rather than introduce, that could back fire on you. I'm just saying the theory of letting a puppy be a puppy may in the end give you a dog with a puppy brain.

I'm getting off topic...

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:19 am

Jon Im interested what book this is?

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:26 am

Apologize if I sound like I am raining on your parade, because I am not. Have seen many many dogs that learn to locate birds by sound as well as scent. Particularly bobwhites. However, dogs hear pretty well with the ear flap down. In fact, they hear way way better than we do. And the flap is protection against getting stuff in the ear, or worse yet, getting something jammed in there. Also, their ears are very sensitive to wind and wind noise. Just try blowing softly into your dog's ear sometime if you want to test that, although tell your wife/significant other that it is just a test first. :D

I don't disagree for a minute that your pup hears birds. I think the ear flap is coincidental. But then, dogs do many strange things that it takes alot of observation to figure out.

Jon

Post by Jon » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:36 pm

Ryan wrote:Jon Im interested what book this is?
Ryan,
Sorry, I can't remember the book. When I started looking into getting another dog after 12 yrs. I read everything I could find. That includes 30 some dog books from the library as well as hundreds of hours on www and books I purchased. All this in about 8 mo. time. I stopped crunching just before I got my pup because everything was starting to overlap. I asked the library if they could print out a list of books checked out under my card and they told me the computer didn't keep that info. once the book was checked back in. So I don't have the book titles.

The study claimed that pups under 16 weeks will develope brain cells according to how much you stimulate their brains. If you expose them to many new things, they will develope more brain cells. If you let the pup sit in a kennel being a puppy until after the 16 wks. your pup will have passed the time table for many important development stages. Including brain cell growth.

These studies were done on dogs as well as other animals.

I'm not looking to debate any theories, people can raise their dogs how ever they like. Just posting how I came up with my theories.

Jon

Post by Jon » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:28 pm

Wagonmaster wrote:I don't disagree for a minute that your pup hears birds. I think the ear flap is coincidental. But then, dogs do many strange things that it takes alot of observation to figure out.
I really hope many dogs have figured this out for themselves after being around birds for awhile. ( Even though some people tried to lead me to believe dogs don't listen for bird calls, when I asked this type of Q months ago. ) But how many pups under 6 mo. of age do you know that has put it all together ? That was the big surprise to me.

Fortunately I’ve had the ability to spend almost every single day with my pup since 8 wks. Of age and take him to the trails, woods, fields, parks, stores, hunting test events, etc. We have trained or done something everyday. This provides me with knowledge of my pups traits that many people wouldn’t get the chance to learn. With this in mind, I have observed his actions closely and it sure looks as if he is flipping his ear back and keeping it there somehow.

We went to the dog park today. Running and playing with the other dogs while I’m watching him like a hawk, I never seen his ear flip back and stay. Sure they flop around and fall back down. But when in the field searching for birds, one of his ears stays back many times. This is why I started thinking maybe he is doing this himself to hear the birds warning calls as he approaches and heads that way. Hmmmmm

I wondered, Do other dogs do this ?

Guess we may never know

Casper

Post by Casper » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:24 pm

The study claimed that pups under 16 weeks will develope brain cells according to how much you stimulate their brains. If you expose them to many new things, they will develope more brain cells. If you let the pup sit in a kennel being a puppy until after the 16 wks. your pup will have passed the time table for many important development stages. Including brain cell growth.
I have heard a similar study done with children. It basicly came down to how much it was exposed to things at an early age and encoraged to do those things in the most postive manner.

Margaret

Post by Margaret » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:35 pm

At the base of the ear near the top where it joins the head is generally quite firm, I don't know if it is muscle or cartilage.
I suspect your pup hasn't developed enough firmness in this
region yet and so the ears flip back easily.

Perhaps you could exercise them - Ear prick. Drop. Ear prick. Drop.
Ear prick. Drop. :lol:

Jon

Post by Jon » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:54 pm

Casper wrote:
I have heard a similar study done with children. It basicly came down to how much it was exposed to things at an early age and encoraged to do those things in the most postive manner.
Casper, I'm LOL. Didn't you reply with the same info. last time we talked about a puppy learning things from a early age ?

It was like a flashback when I read your post :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I was glad to see others read similar info. It was just funny when I remembered reading the same post from another topic I started or replied to.

Thanks

Jon

Post by Jon » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:08 pm

Margaret wrote:At the base of the ear near the top where it joins the head is generally quite firm, I don't know if it is muscle or cartilage.
I suspect your pup hasn't developed enough firmness in this
region yet and so the ears flip back easily.

Perhaps you could exercise them - Ear prick. Drop. Ear prick. Drop.
Margaret,
I can flip his ear up myself and it just falls back down. If I try to push it back like in my Avatar picture to the left, it won't stay. He is somehow doing this himself. I have called him over to me in the field to flip his ear back because I wanted to get some pictures and when I pushed it forward it didn't just flop down. I had to push it forward. There must be some muscle in his head that allows him to hold it back. When he wants it down he just flips his head and it's down. Then he flips the other side up later if he wants and it stays there.

I really don't care that he does it.

Ear prick. Drop ? Your joking, right ? If not, please explain.

Thanks

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:36 pm

Margaret wrote: Perhaps you could exercise them - Ear prick. Drop. Ear prick. Drop.
hmm ear-ups - let me know how it works :wink:
I had shetland sheepdogs growing up. They have ears that tip over at the top 1/3. When the puppies are growing their ears sometimes prick straight up and sometimes flop down completely. It changes day to day, stressing a would be show dog owner I'm sure. One of the tricks to get them up was to provide long chew sticks and let them chew alot. You could actually see the muscle at the base of the ear (on the skull) working.

Personally though I think your pup has floppy puppy ears. I love floppy gsp puppy ears - enjoy it!

Casper

Post by Casper » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:11 pm

Jon I am not sure what you are talking about I must have forgotten. Forgive me.

My take on your puppy is that he just likes his ears that way. My niece likes to walk on her toes (if that makes a good comparison?). Odd nature that cant be controlled. I am sure you could ask anyone and they will tell you that their dog has some quirk that is either irritating or makes them giggle.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:43 pm

I was a little thrown off too with the ear prick, drop comment.

Then I figured it was not really "prick," as in draw blood, but rather "perk," as in flex. Like, ear push-ups. Then I laughed. :lol:
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Jon

Post by Jon » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:48 am

Thanks for the ear up tips :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think you may misunderstand my question.

I understand GSP's have floppy ears and they do flip flop around and stay flipped back some times when running, etc. That's fine, I really don't care that they flip around. Unless I am trying to get a picture and his ear is bent / deformed looking, I may push it down. :lol: I like the floppy ears :D

I was explaining that it seems as though he flips his ear back and keeps it there like in my avatar while searching for birds. He doesn't do this all the time, mostly only when searching for birds. I have called him over to push his ear back down when he is close to me and the next thing I know he flips it back up or the other ear back up. This is why I started wondering if he is using his hearing to find birds giving warning calls, and flips a ear back to help.

When I was at the last FT event a man named Bob was checking out Ammo real close and his ear was flipped up because we just came back from scouting in the woods. He reached over to flip it down and it didn't flop down. He brushed it again and it still didn't flop down. He had to push it all the way before it would drop down. I remember him saying wow, didn't want to flop down.
( This man has GSP's ) But yet other times I can just bump it and it falls down. So I think Ammo is some how holding it in that position to hear when searching.

Ammo has had chew toys since I got him and uses them a lot so maybe he has developed more muscle around the ear area.

I only know what I've seen and was wondering if others noticed thier dogs flipping a ear back when hunting.

I'm not talking about a dogs ears flopping around when running or one ear flying back and then dropping down when they stop. I'm talking about a ear that stays back as if the dog is keeping it there for a reason. And when he no longer needs it up he flips it down. Then maybe flips the other ear up depending on the need.

I had his ears completely checked very well twice and seen the pictures during his puppy exams, they look great. He has no problem looking exactly where the sound came from which indicates both ears are fine. Just wanted to dismiss that idea.

It's not a problem, I was just wondering if others noticed their dogs doing this when searching ?

That's pretty much it. :roll:

Thanks again for your help :wink:

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:54 pm

I have seen dogs whose ears flip back alot, but never one that I felt was doing it on purpose. That said I would never underestimate a determined GSP. :) And I don't doubt that they could develope the ability to flip it. That "ear" muscle allows all kinds of other behavioral positioning, so why not a flip. Interestring topic, Jon. Let us know if he keeps it up as he grows.

Laurie

Jon

Post by Jon » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:48 pm

mountaindogs wrote:I don't doubt that they could develope the ability to flip it. That "ear" muscle allows all kinds of other behavioral positioning, so why not a flip. Interestring topic,
Laurie
The muscle is not doing the flipping. He is flipping his head up and back so the ears flip back. Then the muscle holds the ear from moving forward to fall down again.

Here is another example.

We went to a WMA tonight and used the 4-5 mi. hiking trail. When we came to a trail head crossing with tall grass and hills all around ( used to be a old mine area ) Ammo couldn't see much with the grass and hills so he stops, flips his head up and holds both ears back. I'm standing back about 10 yards watching. He is not moving a muscle and listening very close for any sounds, he then turns his head slowly back and forth a little to listen for sounds and then flips his head and ears back down and takes off running again. There was no doubt he did this to hear better.

If I remember correctly from a book I read. :wink: Dogs with raised ears hear much better than dogs with floppy ears covering the canal. (Something like 25% to 45% better ?) So a dog that flips his floppy ears back, removes the restriction over the canal and can hear better. The hearing would still not be as good as a dog with raised cupped ears but would be better than covering the canal opening if trying to listen for any little sound beside or behind you.

I'm kinda surprised this would need to be explained :P This is not directed to you Laurie, just a general comment.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:14 pm

Guess I'm just old and cynical but I don't believe he is doing it to hear better. When he raises his head the ears tend to flip back, especially at his age. The same thing when he is running. But I don't think a dog can flip them back or hold them that way with muscles. There just isn't any muscles in the ear to do it with. He sounds like a very typical pup that possibly has a little different ear set, however I don't think what we know now proves that. I have a pup that has his ears back a lot when in the field but he sure isn't doing in musclulary. It happens when he runs and has the ears cocked and the wind or the position of the head allows them to go back. Once clear back he has to shake his head to get them down and he doesn't take time to do that when he is interested in something else. Gives you the impression he is listening to something and sometimes he is but other times he may be looking or smelling. As far as one ear at a time there is practically always more air moving over one side or the other and it just happens to the ear on that side or it is the direction he is holding his head when he runs.

Just my opinion but will bet most anything I'm right.

Ezzy

Jon

Post by Jon » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:11 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Guess I'm just old and cynical but I don't believe he is doing it to hear better. Just my opinion but will bet most anything I'm right.Ezzy
I'll keep my eye on him as he gets older and let you know...

Casper

Post by Casper » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:26 pm

Jon your pup isnt the only one that has his ears that way. I hunted behind this pup over the weekend.

album_pic.php?pic_id=1270

Boomer

Post by Boomer » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:14 am

I see ya got my pic to work here Casper,,, thanks. I need to figure out how to do that I guess... If I would of walked around to the front of my pup you would of seen that not only his left ear was "flipped" up, so was his other at the time.... I guess that makes him smarter then most :roll: . I have to agree with those that say its just the way a shorthair is. I really dont think they have anycontrol over it. If anything, I would say they would rather run around with there ear canals covered by ther ears to keep out any foreign objects.....
Boomer

Jon

Post by Jon » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:08 pm

ya, I know all GSP ears go back. duh! :lol:

We hiked 9-10 miles today in the woods and I didn't see Ammo hold his ear back all day. And the wind was blowing like crazy so why didn't his ears stay back if it's the wind doing it ? Don't know. He wasn't searching for birds like he does when we go to our training fields, he was just running around chasing what ever he wanted while keeping me in sight. His ears don't do this every time we go out.

When we are in an area where he smells birds and starts searching, this is when I notice his ear staying back many times. No, not 100% of the time but much more than not when searching.

Take it for what YOU think it means or doesn't.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:54 pm

I'll bet he is searching as much in the timber. And if he is still trying to find a bird and can't find it by smell why wouldn't he try to listen for one?

If he is smart enough to listen in the training fields then he surely would do whenever he is searching.

If he isn't searching then you have more of a problem since you won't be hunting in the training area.

I still think you are trying to give the pup human qualities and I don't think they work that way. They hunt and point by instinct and not thought process. However, I am sure they are smart enough to use what abilities they have if they have been given the oppotunity to learn by experience. They can learn to hunt the downwind side of the cover, or what kind of objectives are likely to hold birds. Other things are learned as you continue to provide the dog opportunities in the field. And they use their sense of smell, sound, and sight to find the birds or other things they are searching for.

If hunting dogs don't search they walk with you like other dogs.

Ezzy

Margaret

Post by Margaret » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:11 pm

Rather than make a big issue of this, I can see your dog is trying to tell you he wants his name changed to "Flip".

:lol:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:48 pm

I like your idea Margaret. I think you have hit on the answer. If Ammo was a girl I would suggest ear rings. But wait , doesn't have to be a girl anymore.

Ezzy

Jon

Post by Jon » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:15 pm

ezzy333 wrote: They hunt and point by instinct and not thought process.
However, I am sure they are smart enough to use what abilities they have if they have been given the oppotunity to learn by experience. They can learn to hunt the downwind side of the cover, or what kind of objectives are likely to hold birds. Other things are learned as you continue to provide the dog opportunities in the field. Ezzy

Ezzy,
I'm sure you have lots of experience with dogs. You don't agree with my idea / opinion any more than I'm willing to accept the above statement you just posted.

When I go out to walk 10 - 15 miles on a state hiking trail, I'm not walking along at a hunting pace and I don't give my pup commands to find game unless I am willing to work an area.
I already know for a fact he can find birds when I tell him to, and he can track when I tell him to track. We go out for exposure to anything he wants to investigate. I want him confident under any situation he encounters and the only way to do this is exposure. He doesn't have to work game the entire time we are out. I may give him 10-15 min. if I find a good place but, other than that we are walking. By the end of the day we spent 6 hrs. at this WMA and he experienced a lot more than he would have sitting at home in a kennel / crate so it's a win win either way. He just turned 6 mo. on Nov. 23 so he is doing just fine with his training. :wink:

You know the ear ring weight just might keep his ears from flopping around. That's a great idea ! :roll: :P