New to the forum, check out my animal shelter Brittany

Ross

New to the forum, check out my animal shelter Brittany

Post by Ross » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:11 pm

Hey guys

I have recently began wanting to get my Brittany trained to hunt. He is approximately 2 years old, and I rescued him from an animal shelter in San Antonio. I have no idea of his lineage or background, but I do know one thing: he is bird CRAZY! He has had a good bit of experience with quail just since I have had him. He seems to point well and definetly has the urge to find birds. He will even retrieve fairly well, but I am having a hard time getting him to hold on birds, and staying close to me when in the field (he likes to run off several hundred yards). Anyway, I am reading Wolters "Gun Dog", and it seems to have alot of good info.

If anyone has any pointers for a newbie, I'm all ears!

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Re: New to the forum, check out my animal shelter Brittany

Post by PntrRookie » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:13 pm

Ross...welcome and you should be commended for your efforts! Job well done and you will be hooked! Sounds like the pup needs to understand the whoa command. However you do it, stick to your program and have a ton of patience! Best of luck the pup is a looker too!

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:50 pm

good lookin dog! go see kninebirddog if you are close enough to her. she could give you a world of good advice.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:47 pm

you might try to work him on pen raised quail- meaning- someplace you could control where the birds are- lots of birds close to you might get him to stay a bit closer- get a handle on how far you want him getting away from you- get to really know what you have and make it just you two- for some time-

looks and sounds like a pretty nice Britt

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:11 pm

Congrats on a job well done! I'll be the first to encourage you to throw Walter's book away. It's old and not really a top level book. There are many other good resources out there (i.e. Hickox videos, Perfect start, etc.). I like the George Hickox videos the best, but others will be helpful. Also, look for others on this board to help you.

Good Luck!!!!!!!

Nitrex

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:26 pm

Welcome aboard

and Ditto on ditch the wolters book makes for great kindling

Rick Smith has some seminars or Maurice Lindley has a newer video which Brad Higgins which is pretty good http://www.higginsgundogs.com/store.htm I like the one with Maurice and recommend it ...though I am more a Delmar and Rick Smith command lead versus the pinch collar the base but both methods work very well and between the two methods they parallel each other in many respects.

a seminar would be a great way to get some hands on learning for you and the dog Rick charges like 350 for his foundation seminar but what you get out of it is priceless Just food for thought
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Calisdad

Post by Calisdad » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:28 pm

PntrRookie wrote:Ross...welcome and you should be commended for your efforts! Job well done and you will be hooked! Sounds like the pup needs to understand the whoa command. However you do it, stick to your program and have a ton of patience! Best of luck the pup is a looker too!
Yup. What he said. And get a whistle, about $3.50. :D

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:47 am

What a nice looking dog. Good luck with him!
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:36 pm

Good looking pup! Thanks for giving him a second chance. Are you in San Antonio yourself? There are a couple of people near to you that maybe you could hook up with and go training with. There are also a couple of regional TX Brittany clubs you could consider joining to meet like minded souls such as yourself ( meaning Brittany lovers of course!)

You have already been given several good suggestions for resource material....post more pics when you can!
Again, welcome to the board!

Ross

Post by Ross » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:47 am

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I am actually not in San Antonio anymore, I'm in Lubbock finishing school up at Tech. Are there any regional clubs around this area?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:23 am

I believe there is one near sweetwater. I know there are some NSTRA people in that area you might be able to hook up with
www.nstra.org look up west texas region for some people to contact
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:23 pm

Here are the American Birttany Clubs, contact info and general areas in TX. You can visit their websites if they have one by visiting the American Birttany Club website club info page [url][http://clubs.akc.org/brit/secretary.htm/url] There are 6 clubs statewide and I'm sure if you hop on the phone and start calling you will get a wealth of info from these nice folks. There are also several Oklahoma clubs too....be sure to checck out the MidWest section for a club near to you.

Alamo
Terry Carter
125 S. Winston Lane
San Antonio, TX 78213
210/375-1527
Fax: 210/375-1527
bwctc@satx.rr.com

Bluebonnet
Teresa Downing
595 County Road 139
Gatesville, TX 76528
713-680-1243