No Hunting for the Next week.

3Britts

No Hunting for the Next week.

Post by 3Britts » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:14 am

I told my boys that I would take them hunting this week, as school was out on break. Then, I decided to have some wreslting practice with my oldest, currently ranked #4 in the state at his weight. We decided to go all out as, in my mind, I had taken state when I had wrestled some 30 years ago. This was a bad idea. Like many of use, I forgot that I am not in the shape I was in those 30 years ago and that he is in top shape now and that it is the middle of wrestling season. I should say that I did hold my own for about 5 minutes before my son showed me just how good he has gotten.
To put the story in perspective, my joints just aren't as bendable as they used to be. My sholder popped out and back and is now very, very sore. I think that I am getting old. :lol:

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Re: No Hunting for the Next week.

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:45 am

I bet you are glad he has respect for you as your Dad. :wink:
Don't need the young bull pushing out the old bull: :P
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:50 am

My husband was Canadian National University Champion at 184 pounds MANY years ago. Sometimes he still thinks he is too. :) Good for your boy. It's a wonderful sport.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:10 pm

Ahhh ...

Nothing like the Body reminding the mind that it isn't as young as it thinks it is
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:58 am

My boy felt really bad about the sholder.

Its not that he is getting to be a better wrestler than I am that gets to me, its that my body has slowed down.
Oh, I should meantion that he is currently a sophmore and went undefeated in his last tournament. It was an
eight school meet and he had 5 pins within 2.5 minutes and 2 wins on points.

Shadow

Post by Shadow » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:30 am

my little brother was a National Champion- he looked forward to the day he could try me out- 30 years I still just smile-
my son- no way! he's a beast

congrats for getting on the mat with your son- I'm thinking you enjoyed it and so did he- good old fashioned aches and pains- one thing about good wrestlers- they know the holds not to use

Beecher

Post by Beecher » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:49 pm

:lol: you are cleanin all the birds and cleanin the dog pens and :mrgreen:

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:26 am

Never underestimate youth. Our minds say we can still do it, but our bodies show us the reality, and it sucks!

Anyway, I hope you recover soon. Also, congrats to your son on his past achievments and the best of luck in the future. Sounds like you have quite a boy there!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

lightonthebay

Post by lightonthebay » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:48 am

If you held your own for five minutes I'd say you were in pretty good shape yet. After thirty years the body and mind are in a downward spiral of deterioration. I cannot remember the wrestling techniques(such as a basic "sit out") from my high school days and as your son knows; it takes both strength and technique.