Chucker

Texrab

Chucker

Post by Texrab » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:29 am

I've got a question about Chuckers. How do they hold? Are they more like a pheasant and run or are they more like a quail and hold until flushed? Do they covey up? Any info would be great. I've typed in Chucker Partridge on a search engine but most all I could find was on preserve hunting. Thanks

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:50 am

Hi Kevin,

I've shot them in a few trials that used them for the retrieving call backs.

My experience has been that they mostly like to run but when they flush are strong fliers.

The covey as well as bobwhite, more or less.

They are native to arid climates and don't do well in bird pens that are on soil. They need to be up off the ground.

They are always more expensive at game preserves, etc. They usually get squeezed between quail on the bottom and pheasant on the high end.

The have some feathers that are almost like a mourning dove's. So, some dogs aren't crazy about having them in their mouth.

Best,

Boomer

Post by Boomer » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:06 am

Tex...I feel somewhat qualified to answer your questions on Chukar. Iv been hunting them for the last 35year. Every time I hunt them I learn something different about them. Some things that are the "norm" about them is that they will run up hill, and fly down hill... They are a covey bird, roosting at night uslly at the highest ridge in the rocks for protection. There typical habits are: A couple hours after daylight they launch them selfes down the mountion (sometimes a mile or so) to water. After they drink they feed all the way back to the top where they roost. In the summer time they uslly do this twice a day. Even in the winter time when theres snow or "free" water for them they still do this act....Ther allways seams to be a "lookout bird", one that will alarm the others if danger is present, ie coyote, bobcat, hunter etc. When a covey is disturbed they will call to one another till coveyed back up.
As far as holding for the dog the best way to get them to hold the best is to wait for the birds to come to water and start there feeding back to the top. Get above them and hunt them down hill. They would rather run then fly. If you try to hunt them and your are downhill from them they will allways run ahead of the dog (I have some really good running dogs myself and even my fastest dog can NOT catch up with them when they run up hill.) A good chukar dog learns to hunt these "quail on steriods" from the uphill side of them. With all this said I just know today when I go out again all my knowlage will be throwed out the window and learn someting new :roll: Hope this helps...
Boomer

ViniferaVizslas

Post by ViniferaVizslas » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:24 am

Try typing "chukar partridge" and you'll get results. Don't feel bad, chukar is about the most commonly misspelled bird name.

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:51 pm

Tex
I would hate to generalize and tell you that they hold when the covey is busted because as soon as I would say that they would run all day. Chukars are a covey bird. I have seen coveys over one hundred birds in the late winter.
I think they hold better when there is snow on the ground.
Can't add much that Boomer didn't cover.
Try typing in utah chukar foundation in a search engine, they have some info.

Texrab

Post by Texrab » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:12 pm

I guess the correct spelling helps :oops:
Thanks

TAK

Post by TAK » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:10 pm

Boomer hit the nail on the head! I have also learned that if you think you have out smarted them? Well you have not even came close!
To sum it up... they will run, fly, hold and I have hunted some that disappeared in thin air! Not to mention they do have a laugh and they will at any of us!
If you are talking about Pen birds? me think they are some of the best birds to train with. Good scent, hold well and great flyers.

Casper

Post by Casper » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:52 pm

To add to this chukar not only are a hard bird to hunt but they will turn men into boys and make them :crybaby: when they fell on their bum trying to get to the dog droping their favorite gun leaving ever lasting memories. In the mean time the birds have gotten up and flown to the other side of the canyon and begin to laugh at you as you gather your gun wipe the tears :crybaby: away look for anything else that might have fallen out like you transmitter then you call the dog back and proceed along the hill till you find another covey only this time.......(make something up it has probably happened to someone)

The saying goes as follows:

The first time you hunt chukar it is for fun

Every time after that it is for revenge

Willie Hunter

Post by Willie Hunter » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:41 pm

Boomer,

Could you take Carter and I chukar hunting?

Casper where do you live in Nevada?
Willie Hunter

Boomer

Post by Boomer » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:46 pm

Willie,, you know your allways welcome to join me.. anytime
I took today off but will be back at it tomorrow.. I uslly try to hunt at least four days a week.
Boomer

Willie Hunter

Post by Willie Hunter » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:50 pm

Boomer,

Georgia is in Salt Lake over Christmas, maybe we could do a hunt that weekend?
Willie Hunter

Ric Lindsey

Post by Ric Lindsey » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:43 pm

HI Willie
I see that we have more in common with these folks than the lab guys? Take me hunting with you and Carter some day(PLEASE)
Ric :D

Willie Hunter

Post by Willie Hunter » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:55 pm

Hi Ric,

You're always welcome to hunt with Carter and I.
Willie Hunter

ViniferaVizslas

Post by ViniferaVizslas » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:45 am

Hello Willie,

I'm no Chukar expert but I did spend a week chasing them in Nevada about four years ago. At the time my brother and his family lived in a little place called Spring Creek, NV on Ashburn Lane. Small world :) . You've certainly got great opportunities for Huns and Chuckars all around you. Hordes of rabbits too. Beautiful country but I think I'd be buying a new set of knees if I hunted those mountains every weekend.

Willie Hunter

Post by Willie Hunter » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:32 pm

Hi ViniferaVizslas,

Spring Creek is a great place to live. We have had a great year hunting chukar. The last few weeks we have had a lot of rain and the mud has us shut down at this time.

Does your brother still live in Spring Creek?
Willie Hunter

Boomer

Post by Boomer » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:58 pm

Im fighting the mud pretty bad right now but do have a couple spots that we can hit close to Fallon... Let me know, hopefully it will turn cold and freeze the ground enought to get around....

ViniferaVizslas

Post by ViniferaVizslas » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:05 am

Willie Hunter wrote:Hi ViniferaVizslas,

Spring Creek is a great place to live. We have had a great year hunting chukar. The last few weeks we have had a lot of rain and the mud has us shut down at this time.

Does your brother still live in Spring Creek?
No, he lived there for about 8 years. They moved back to Gustavus Alaska about a year ago. He's a mining consultant and my sister in law went back to work for Glacier Bay NP. He's still doing some work around Elko and flies in often but can't really bring the dogs with.

Willie Hunter

Post by Willie Hunter » Sun Jan 08, 2006 6:47 pm

Good day hunting Nevada's high desert yesterday.

[img][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a201/ ... Chukar.jpg[/img][/img]
Willie Hunter

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:29 pm

So tell us who's who in the pic. I recognize the chukars but are those other two the hunters or the dogs. Must be the hunters, dogs are better looking. :shock: :shock: :P
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.