new to bird hunting Ques. about dogs

sneed15

new to bird hunting Ques. about dogs

Post by sneed15 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:14 pm

i have been in the market for a dog for a few weeks...and was woundering (before i buy one) if bird dogs also make good house pets...everyone that i know has them in pens.
Thanks.

pear

Post by pear » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:27 pm

I can't speak for all of them but my three sure make great house dogs. I have 3 GSP's that live....no I'm sorry, that run my house. If I were you I'd look at the dog that is being given away below, in "Dogs For Sale" I think. (The one that is started, and was to be a stud dog, but is sterile)......."pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

sneed15

Post by sneed15 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:40 pm

thats funny you say that i had just emailed them.

thanks for you reply

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:55 pm

Brittany's :D

But just about any birddog can be a house pet with patience and training...I find the brittany's to be the right size and have the biggest heart about both worlds..
My significants other the setter she does well but not as good as my britt...The pointer well inside she is crated..she doesn't go around things she plows right through them...Bull in a china shop
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:27 pm

Brits are awsome family dogs but setters are the best in my opinion. Well atleast the calm ones. But all gun dogs make good family dogs when raised with family.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:33 pm

2 GSPs, Great family dogs.

HUTCH

Post by HUTCH » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:46 pm

I have one of those "hyper" field bred english setters he is a great house pet and in not hyper in the house. he is also great around my 1 year old son.

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:22 am

I have to agree that Britts are awesome family dogs, but I would say any mild mannered dog that has been raised around people will be a decent house/pet/hunting dog.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:06 am

if you have any question about whether they can be house pets, please read the piece I wrote at http://www.hongobirddogs.com/news/willo ... e-spot.htm, about a female I owned, now deceased, who certainly was a heroine to me.

they will drive you nuts the first couple of years when they are pups, but patience pays out.

PS I guess you have to go to the homepage, navigate to News and Events, and click on "Willows on the Spot." the direct hyperlink does not work.

PPS Spot is at home on vacation at the moment. He thinks he is entitled to sleep in my bed.

Richard *UT*

Post by Richard *UT* » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:41 pm

WagonMaster, That was a very nice piece you wrote. I will have to share it with my wife, She gets upset with Cash even though he is a pup and I think this would help her Focus on the good.
Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1618

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:14 pm

# 1 Question for you is... What is your definition of a good house pet.

I'll go against what most have said here and say that to the average person they don't make good house pets.

To most people a "good house pet" is one that only requires putting down food, going for walks and a good scratch under the chin every now and then. This won't cut it for most hunting dogs, there bred to work.

I'm not saying that they are not or can not be fantastic pets and companions as well as hunters because I know they are...just not to everyone.

Doesn't matter what breed you choose, the line is more important. The dog will be as good a house pet as you make it.