Selecting a puppy - any tips?

Bossman27

Selecting a puppy - any tips?

Post by Bossman27 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:36 pm

I've done an ungodly amount of research to find a breeder i'm comfortable with and finally in a couple weeks here it is time to go out and select my pup. I get first or second pick of males and there are I think 8 males in the litter so there are plenty to chose from and I'm curious what I should look for. From what I've read; tail up, no shyness, spunk, put the puppy on his back, etc etc are all the things that I should be considering but are all these things over-rated? I'm no expert and this is going to be my 2nd GSP and my last dog was given to me so this is really my first time picking from a litter, but I can't imagine selecting a pup being that scientific but I could be completely wrong on that. The puppies come from an excellent pedigree so I'm sure they'll all be great in their own-right but I'm curious how much you can really tell by an 8 week old puppies demeanor. Any tips you guys and gals with more experience than myself can lend would be awesome and much appreciated.

Thanks!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Selecting a puppy - any tips?

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:57 pm

In my opinion, very little. I do like to see a pup willing to explore but also watching where you are if you can take it to an area it has never been to before. But I would also pick a pup marked and colored like you want if you can't make up your mind any other way.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:18 pm

I suggest that you read the Volhard Puppy aptitude test. It is available in several form on the internet.

It provides a detailed framework for evaluating the personality of a puppy. I think that many of the tests are overdone and un-necessary but there are a few that are worth considering, IMO.

There is a following test, a retrieving test, a recall test and an on the back restraint test.

In my limited experience, a pup which fights the "on the back" restraint to the limit is a very bold puppy. That is one thing I actively selected for and the test was accurate in preedicting a bold pup.

The retrieveing test apparently also works. I read somewhere that the Seeing Eye organization has been using some form orf retrieving test as a screen for seeing eye dogs, as puppies. Since empolying the screen, the number of washouts went down dramatically, so it would seem that the retrieving test is a fairly accurate predictor of the cooperative nature of the pup.

If you don't want to actively do any puppy testing I think reading through the test does still have value. If it does nothing else but to make you think of the kinds of things you want to look for in a puppy and organizes your thoughts before you go to look at a litter, it is worth the read, I think.

RayG

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:30 pm

[quote="RayGubernat"]

In my limited experience, a pup which fights the "on the back" restraint to the limit is a very bold puppy. That is one thing I actively selected for and the test was accurate in predicting a bold pup.
/quote]
That test is also a test for dominance. On the back is a submissive position and the dominate male will not like it. When we picked our male a couple years ago, you could not keep him on his back. After a couple weeks, he become used to me being dominant and gradually learned to enjoy his role of not being dominant.

My favorite tip for picking a puppy? Sit on the floor and let the puppy pick you. See how they react towards you and your scent. Every see a dog that does not like someone for no apparent reason? Would you want to pick a puppy that does not like your scent? I doubt that puppy would be as good of a hunter for you as another puppy from the same litter that does like you. Sit and see how they react to you and see which one(s) like you. See which one has a personality that matches you.
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:33 pm

I never pick the shyest or the most bold. Something in between suits me just fine.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mcbosco
GDF Junkie

Post by mcbosco » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:44 pm

The (Wendy) Volhard Test is useful, but don't stop there with Volhard, she is a pioneer nutritionist.

I agree with Sharon, a mid temperament dog is what I would want.

A dog that has submissive tendencies after some resistance. One that won't submit or one that submits immediately I would pass on.

I also like pups that have a bit more bone on them at a young age.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:33 am

Spend as much time around the litter as you can. One will 'speak' to you.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:37 am

Actually, I have one more suggestion. A friend of ours bought a dog from a very good out of state breeder a couple years ago. He had first choice, but he flew up and only had the weekend to figure out which one to take.
He basically watched the entire litter play and interact with each other. When one stood out to him, he picked it up, made a note of which one it was, then put it back in with everyone else. They ran around for a while, he lost track of who was who, then again looked for who stood out. He kept repeating the process and kept coming back to the same female. I thought that was a pretty good approach, and he ended up with a fantastic pup.

Many breeders will also tell you that the best way to pick a pup is to find a good litter and just reach in and grab one. :D
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

JasonW77

Post by JasonW77 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:23 am

When I choose my first brittany. I talk with the breeder and ask him which one he thought out of the females was the most birdy, since he had already introduce them to a wing. Also asked which one had more of the mild temperament. When we got there my wife walk into the fence area and this one brittany pup out of all of them ran up to her played and then went off exploring. That was the end of my choosing of which one. But on the other hand she has picked both hunting dogs for her dad and both were and are awesome hunters. Mine is also really doing a great job for her first year out. So in a nut shell you'll know which one is going to work for you

DSemple

Post by DSemple » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:32 am

Simple

Let your wife pick.

That way when the pup pees on the carpet you hear "oh look how cute".

Pup chews up her purse "it's ok he will grow out of it, don't you dare spank him".

Pup wants to sleep in the house because he thinks it's cold outside "Oh let him crawl in bed for a change, it won't hurt him, your so mean."

Pup will get a lifetime get out of jail free card.

If your really really smart you will let her name him too.

Smarter than the average bear regards ...Don
I'm always happy when I make it thru another bird season with my dogs, my gun and my truck.

It's an added plus if I manage to keep my wife, my house or my job.

eastwash

Post by eastwash » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:13 am

Pick the breeding and a good pup will follow.
Two Faced Jake

Will

Post by Will » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:31 am

ezzy333 wrote:In my opinion, very little. I do like to see a pup willing to explore but also watching where you are if you can take it to an area it has never been to before. But I would also pick a pup marked and colored like you want if you can't make up your mind any other way.

Ezzy
eastwash wrote:Pick the breeding and a good pup will follow.
I agree with both of these opinions. I've picked two pups in the last 4yrs. First time around I picked the biggest, boldest male of the litter. He grew up bold and had a lot of desire. He could be a bit of a handful at times but the breeding was good and he was very trainable.

The last pup was from another outstanding breeding. All pups were pretty adventurous (something I want to see when picking). One male stood out in just how he carried himself. He was perhaps a bit more adventurous and very cocky acting....carrying his tail at 12 o'clock and prancing around. I just liked him. He would come up to see you and immediately sit at your feet waiting for attention. He is still a pup at 8mo old but we've hunted over him all year with great success and I couldn't be happier. He hasn't "turned on" yet completely but it's apparent that he has all the tools and will all I want.

Bottom line is: If it is a good breeding the rest is up to you. If you give this pup what it needs to become what you want, you'll be happy.
We never really own a dog as much as he owns us. Gene Hill

Top Gun Whole Lotta Rosie

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:40 am

If you have found the breeder and the breeding that you like, walk up to the puppies, close your eyes, reach your hand down and pick the first one that you feel. That's your pup.

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:12 pm

I would ask the breeder.

A good breeder will have observed the pups on a daily basis and know what personalities are emerging. A good breeder should have introduced the pups to birds and had them out in the field some. The breeder should also be taking EACH pup individually into new situations and seeing how quickly they adapt to new situations. They should know which pup learns the quickest when taught something new.

At this point in time you should have a good rapport with the breeder. He/she should know what you are looking for in a dog. They should also know your lifestyle and how much work you are going to put into the dog. They should know if you want a hunting dog, a hunt test dog, a field trial dog, a purely pet, etc.

In my honest opinion a good breeder should be able to match you up with the puppy. I do this with my pups and so far I've been pretty spot on with what the buyer wants in a dog. BUT I do keep my pups until they are 12 weeks so I get to observe and work with them longer.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

1vizsla

Post by 1vizsla » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:38 pm

We had a really good litter to pick from, so we let the puppy pick us. After sitting in a pile of 11 vizsla puppies (all the same color) one just naturally gravitated to my husband so that's the one that came home.

Carla

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:04 pm

I have just got my newest pup and have to agree with Cherrystone Weims. The breeder has been with the pups for at least a couple months and knows them best. I have been waiting almost two years for this bitch to be bred and was looking for a possible foundation female. I ended up taking the second boldest pup, she had the coat I was looking for and the biggest bone structure. The only thing is I think I forgot how much of a pain puppies are :lol:
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com