For you pointer guys!

Joe Amatulli

For you pointer guys!

Post by Joe Amatulli » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:11 am

I see in the American Field that Doug Favor, an amateur with a shorthair is ranked in the Purina OPEN shooting handler of the year awards. How does this make you guys feel. What do you think! 8)

Ditch__Parrot

Re: For you pointer guys!

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:18 am

8)

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:27 am

WHY WHY WHY Joe? A light shines on a dogs @ss everyone once in a while, and Doug is a heck of a handler with a heck of a dog. That is what I think. Now I want to know how many more shortails and their handlers where in there?
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:34 am

If I remember right it's not the first time so it's no shocker. Dougs a good guy and deserves whatever he gets.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:43 am

Joe -

Obviously there is a handler with at least one dog that can get it done in any company. Apparently also, there are judges out there that are looking at the right end of the dog. :lol: :P

I think that his accomplishment is outstanding and I most certainly offer my congratulations. It takes a lot of heart, both handler and dog, to go up against the pros. Bravo I say.

RayG

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:53 am

It is nice to see Mr. Favor doing well, and I thnk it points out again that if your dog has the ability it will be recognized regardless of breed.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:00 am

I believe congratulations to Doug are in order. Wonder if he is still running Stitchie?

ElhewPointer

Post by ElhewPointer » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:09 am

I think its great! I think its funny that it makes you feel so warm and fuzzy. I wish more guys would compete with GSP. Two springs ago, the akc had one of there national events at the grounds I run at a week before our AF trial. So a lot of people running in that national ran in our weekend trial to get a feel for the coarse. I judged the SD and the SD derby. I think I put up 2 GSP's for placement. I only wish everyone judging didn't have such bias' about breeds or certain bloodlines. I'd run a lot more AKC events if I thought id get a fair chance. Congrats Doug, thats awesome.

ymepointer

Post by ymepointer » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:14 am

Is the american field GSP parent club still in existence....I think it was called the NAGSPCA??? I don't think it is but they used to have a national club that sort or organzied AF trials????

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:33 am

The NGSPA still is very much in existence & their Nat event will be coming up the end of Feb.
www.NGSPA.org

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:33 am

:lol: :lol: Trixie stepped up at a small championship last fall where nobody could get any birds found and zigged and zagged her way around to dig out 4 finds in 93 degree temps so I guess they had to give it to her. :lol: :lol: I was happy for her - she's had some real good outings at Ch's before and just gotten beat so even though it was pretty small time, we'll take it and let the light shine on her azz for a few minutes!! :lol: :lol: I have to give huuuuge kudos and thanks to Dan Hoke who broke her, he is ridiculous good at trainin' dogs - she just doesn't bobble very often and even though she might be easy to beat, she's probably gonna get around clean with an acceptable SD race, post "a score" and make ya' beat her. Amazing how often just doin' that will get ya' in the winner's circle.

Cracks me up bein' at the bottom of the list - barely on the page...a little more news and we wouldn't have made print!! :lol: :lol:

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:38 am

Doug you always try to make light of you & your dogs accomplishments.You both deserve alot more credit then you get.I only wish I lived closer so I could hunt truly wild birds again & learn a little from you & Rich.
BIG CONGRATS!! in order. :D

Joe Amatulli

Post by Joe Amatulli » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:57 am

Well Doug don’t sell yourself and your dog short, no matter how you look at it, it is a great accomplishment. I must admit I am surprised on the response, personally I don’t think a shorthair east of the Miss. has any chance, but that is only what the pointer people tell me. Big huge congratulation!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:14 am

x2 Enjoy your accomplishments. They don't come by accident.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:30 am

Joe Amatulli wrote:I see in the American Field that Doug Favor, an amateur with a shorthair is ranked in the Purina OPEN shooting handler of the year awards. How does this make you guys feel. What do you think! 8)

I'll bite, how do you think they should feel? I feel really good that someone that understands that hunting dogs are bred for hunting and picks his dogs accordingly is still able to get out and run in a few trials and do well enough to beat a lot of the dogs bred to win national championships. Makes me think there is still hope we all can get back to where our sport of hunting and the dogs bred to do it will be around for a while longer.

Congrats Doug.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:33 am

Trixie cracks me up Doug, when I watched her at Howell when Alex was handling her she would bark at him as he was chasing that chukar around the bush trying to get it to flush. Eventually the judge just told him to give up and pop the gun and move on with it. :D

Not to mention that Flyboy handled by Emmet Burns is ranked pretty high in the SD.
Last edited by Elkhunter on Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:34 pm

Trixie cracks me up Doug, when I watched her at Howell when Alex was handling her she would bark at him as he was chasing that chukar around the bushed trying to get it to flush.
:oops: :oops: :oops: I know, I know man, we're from the sticks Idaho what can I say. She gets impatient after the flush and will start whining or even bark at ya' sometimes wanting to go make a retrieve or just get going...kinda reminds me of being in a fancy restaurant trying to be all classy then yer date puts her fingers in her mouth and whistles for the waiter!! :lol: :lol:

BrettBryan

Post by BrettBryan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:00 pm

Ha! that's funny Doug.

They say if Hoyle Eaton couldn't flush Red Water Rex's birds for him, Rex would paw at the ground with his right paw and bite a sappling if it was close enough for him to bite it. They say he was smart enough to realize the birds had left him and he knew Hoyle couldn't find them. Rex was trained well enough not to move without Hoyle touching him on the head or sending him on. They say Rex was trying to tell Hoyle to send him on because he knew the birds had left him. Hoyle would send him and Rex would relocate up a ways and jam the birds.

You sure Trixie don't have some Rex in her :lol: I'm just kiddin' ya. She must be a smart one.

Congrats on you and your dogs accomplishments! Well deserved.
Old dogs, children, and watermelon wine

Razor

Post by Razor » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:23 pm

Joe Amatulli wrote:I see in the American Field that Doug Favor, an amateur with a shorthair is ranked in the Purina OPEN shooting handler of the year awards. How does this make you guys feel. What do you think! 8)
Doug is one heck of a guy, and he shows up and wins. He deserves to be there and it is a huge accomplishment. He does not listen to the stereotype BS that other dogs can not win. Dogs have won in the east Joe. My questions is why are you not in there???

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:23 pm

I'd say it's quite a Fete for anyone with any breed.The results of hard work, dedication,and the desire to win,no matter what the competition.Congrats for sure!
Dog On Point!!

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:49 pm

Bo that is one nice looking pup in your avatar. Didnt you say you were getting a Damascus pup? Is that it?

Rich Heaton

Post by Rich Heaton » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:51 pm

And ya'll miss the big picture,,,,, behind every great performance is a great scout. Tell'em Doug how I had to dig Trixie girl out of the ravine then sneak up the crik to pin the running cock bird.

Chasin' Mearns

Post by Chasin' Mearns » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:55 pm

BoJack wrote:I'd say it's quite a Fete for anyone with any breed.The results of hard work, dedication,and the desire to win,no matter what the competition.Congrats for sure!
Nice Avatar BoJack!!

CM

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:41 pm

And ya'll miss the big picture,,,,, behind every great performance is a great scout. Tell'em Doug how I had to dig Trixie girl out of the ravine then sneak up the crik to pin the running cock bird.
:lol: :lol: I started to type that in to give ya' the scouting kudos but wasn't sure how it'd sound having dug up scouting finds in a gentleman's SD stake!! That was a crazy deal huh - I tried my best to lose the whole shootin' match right there. Rich found Trixie standing in a steep, narrow ravine at about 55" - she's had 3 pieces of bird work in a stake where only one other dog (actually that dog was mine too, Scoots) has had bird work - there's one more brace left after me. I bailed in the ravine, flushed around - nothin'. I can hear folks in the gallery murmuring/offering up advice to get my arse outta there but I'm thinkin' Richie Robertson has got one more bullet in the next brace. I've seen him many times know exactly what the situation was and what he needed to do to win then go out, do exactly that and win the thing...so I relocate the dog up the ravine thinkin' another bird might clinch a placement but not really payin' attention like I should thinkin' more and more that, yah, maybe I better get outta there. I glance over to call the dog and there's Trixie standin' like a million bucks with a pen chukar walking in the wide open 5' in front of her in a gully that I could spread my arms out and probably touch both sides...yikes. The bird flies straight over her head by a couple feet, she stands glued like a rock (thank you Dunfur Kennel!!), I blank, I collar her, & get the heck outta there - holy crap, you gotta roll the dice, lay it on the line to win these championships sometimes but in reality it was really a pretty stupid move on my part!!

Great scouting find by Rich - can't even begin to stress the benefit of training with a partner then showing up as a "team" working hard for every dog on the string no matter which dog or whose it is to get a piece of it. :lol: :lol: We went back to the US Chicken Ch. this fall as a team to run his dog then when it was time to play ball I bailed and said, "you gotta get a better scout man! these guys are freakin' good"...so he fired me and got Richie to scout for him!! :lol: :lol:

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:44 pm

And ya'll miss the big picture,,,,, behind every great performance is a great scout.
So very true!! Congrats Dr. Doug. 8)

Doug

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:47 pm

Rich where you been hidden have not heard from you in a while.Don't let Doug make light of you like he does himself & his dogs.JK Doug always brags on you & your dogs & that's how friends should be plus alot of razzing :P each other. :D

Joe Amatulli

Post by Joe Amatulli » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:45 am

Razor I have run and won some pointer trials and have been told that my dogs can run with the best of the pointers, whether or not that is true I don’t know. All I know is that when I ask “could I win a pointer championship” you get a resounding NO, you need a tail and you hear about how they would rather with hold than give it to a bobtail. Well we have plenty of short haired championships around here and I see no reason to throw my money away.

The Zephyr

Post by The Zephyr » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:39 am

A big congrats to Dr. Favor, Trixie, & Rich.

John L.
FC AFC Fieldmaster's Montauk Zephyr
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=324

Fieldmaster's Oregon Road Phosphorus
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2833

Razor

Post by Razor » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:15 pm

Joe Amatulli wrote:Razor I have run and won some pointer trials and have been told that my dogs can run with the best of the pointers, whether or not that is true I don’t know. All I know is that when I ask “could I win a pointer championship” you get a resounding NO, you need a tail and you hear about how they would rather with hold than give it to a bobtail. Well we have plenty of short haired championships around here and I see no reason to throw my money away.
I do know your dogs could do it. Doug has done it and other have also. The little brittany Sam, even won the 73 International Endurance Championship. He beat 19 points in a 3 hour stake. It can be done, but you are right.

k2k

Post by k2k » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:55 pm

Congrats, NW Team FavorHeatonHoke :D !!!

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:46 pm

Birdogg,
No,my avatar dog is disceased.I posted about him a year or so ago.I have a year old Damascus grandson out of a Jefferson female.I also have a pup coming in April out of another Damascus son and a double bred Fibber female from Nitro Kennels.My avatar dog also come from Nitro six years ago,and he was one of the best gun dogs I've owned in thirty years.

Mearns,
Thanks,he was a Good 'Un
Dog On Point!!

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:04 pm

BrettBryan wrote:Ha! that's funny Doug.

They say if Hoyle Eaton couldn't flush Red Water Rex's birds for him, Rex would paw at the ground with his right paw and bite a sappling if it was close enough for him to bite it. They say he was smart enough to realize the birds had left him and he knew Hoyle couldn't find them. Rex was trained well enough not to move without Hoyle touching him on the head or sending him on. They say Rex was trying to tell Hoyle to send him on because he knew the birds had left him. Hoyle would send him and Rex would relocate up a ways and jam the birds.

You sure Trixie don't have some Rex in her :lol: I'm just kiddin' ya. She must be a smart one.

Congrats on you and your dogs accomplishments! Well deserved.

Your right Brett, that is true, I also think he had some sons that did that too, may have been Jake.....Rex's Cherokee Jake

BrettBryan

Post by BrettBryan » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:49 pm

lvrgsp wrote,
Your right Brett, that is true, I also think he had some sons that did that too, may have been Jake.....Rex's Cherokee Jake
Chip,

I was at Hoyle Eaton's a few years back. He invited me in to talk a bit.

He had a big picture of Rex's Cherokee Jake up in his living room. Wow! is all i can say about that picture. He has several Hall of Fame scrolls of dogs in there. But, a few different pictures is what caught my eye. That picture of Rex's Cherokee Jake was one of them.

The picture was a shot of him standing on a covey of birds. Liver head slightly tilted up with his nose "taking in the smell of birds". The wind was blowing a little that day as i could see his ears were blowing some in it. Tail up with Jake leaning slightly into his stand.

I will see if i can find a picture somewhere of that one.

He told me several stories that day. He told me the day White Knight won the Nat'l at Ames it was like 14 degrees. He said they delayed the breakaway for a little while. He said when the temperature "heated" up to 18 degrees, they turned em' loose. He told me at one time he had 3 National Champions all in his kennel at home. That's quite a feat there.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:11 am

Brett,
You mean this picture of Jake?.................;)

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:15 am

l;vrgsp -

Wow, what a picture!

The intensity is almost palpable in that shot. I'd walk all day to see a point like that.

Thanks.

RayG

Rich Heaton

Post by Rich Heaton » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:58 pm

Red Water Rex, Rex's Cherokee Jake,Trixie girl,,,,its all the same.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:49 pm

Ha, I expect to see Trixie girl on her way to Ames in Feb.

How about it Doug? :D

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:31 pm

CONGRATS Doc Favor! Pretty awesome accomplishment and one that perhaps you shouldn't be so humble about!
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

BrettBryan

Post by BrettBryan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:07 am

Chip,

I can't see the picture here at work. But, i will check it later on at home. I bet it's the picture though.

BB

Boxa

Post by Boxa » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:02 pm

Congrats to DGFavor, quite a nice accomplishment.

Also, Mr. Amatulli started this thread and not sure if anyone mentioned yet or not, but there was a 4 page spread on Selena in the most recent Field Trial Magazine. Congrats!
Caleb F. Bryson
Bryson's Boxa Kennel

FC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Briarpatch Baby SH
FC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Lucky St. Lindy SH
DC/AFC Bryson's Boxa Wendell W. Woodbriar

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:39 pm

Also, Mr. Amatulli started this thread and not sure if anyone mentioned yet or not, but there was a 4 page spread on Selena in the most recent Field Trial Magazine. Congrats!
Yess! Very cool, just arrived in the mail and that is a very nice write up Joe! Huge kudos!! Well deserved and earned accolades!! :mrgreen:

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:54 pm

Yes a BIG CONGRATS to you JOE!! There is an old saying if you can do it or have done it then it's not bragging.Joe & his dogs have done it & what may have seemed like arrogance to some & rubbed them the wrong way,well maybe you would feel as proud if that shoe was on your foot.I know my feet would get too big for my shoes,or is that head too big for my hat? Anyway you get my drift!! :lol:

Joe Amatulli

Post by Joe Amatulli » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:40 am

Well thanks for acknowledging the article it is a great honor as is Doug’s and a really nice write up, Lisa did a nice job. I was able to read it last night and I cried and let me tell you, when you are over 6 foot and over 200 Lbs. it is not a pleasant site.
VZ I am sorry if it sounds like I am boasting, I am not, and although I am very proud of her accomplishments I am trying to inspire others. Some become inspired, some become intimidated, some become defensive, but the ones that say, I am going to beat that record are the ones that I am trying to get to. Unfortunately there are a number of people in this game that look for reasons to knock great dogs and great accomplishments because they know there is no way that they are going to put in that much effort, I feel sorry for these people because they will never know what a great feeling it is to accomplish, what can not be done.
Selina was a great dog, but what people may not realize is that she was developed with a lot of hard work and all that hard work got me a dog that was simply a pleasure to run. What people spoke about was her consistency and they are right when I let her go I had a pretty good idea of what I was going to get, at least after the first 10 minutes or her first find, she was a real hand full before that.
They left out some of the great memoirs, stories I have had of her, I guess 4 pages was long enough, but the best one was when she won the All Breed Amateur and how nervous RJ got in the last few minutes and how determined he was not to lose her and how I had to listen for 2 days to everyone in the parking lot on how they were and how they beat her, it was good. I really wish on everyone that plows a whistle a dog like Selina just for the joy and maybe then you guys will understand what a great game this is.

dan v

Post by dan v » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:30 am

Nice spread in FT Mag.

I liked the Booneville picture, well until I saw the short dude, second from the right I recall. :D
Dan

Razor

Post by Razor » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:29 pm

Joe that is one record that will stand. I am still waiting for the slow boat from China to get here, so I can read the article.

BrettBryan

Post by BrettBryan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:26 pm

lvrgsp wrote
Brett,
You mean this picture of Jake?.................
Chip, Yes, that is the picture alright. Just as i remember it, never forget that one. What a great picture.

Birds Under Siege

Post by Birds Under Siege » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:55 am

Hey Joe,
I finally got a chance to see that bitch Hannah that the crazy "Northern Cajun" has been telling me about for the last few months, when I was at Dan's place this past Friday. Regrettably Dan did not have time to bring her out as between his schedule and mine there was just time for me to drop Siege off. She is one fine looking dog who looked fast even just wagging her tail in the kennel. If you ever get up Central NY way I'd love to run 'em at Three Rivers WMA field trial grounds. The grounds, which I am sure you have been at are really nice. I am looking forward to seeing her run. I know Frank's is excited.
:) DK

Joe Amatulli

Post by Joe Amatulli » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:03 pm

DK I don’t know if Frank has any idea how lucky he is. People wait years to get one of that caliber, she still has a long way to go, but I don’t think I have ever trained one that simply is that smart, that trainable, and runs and hunts the way Hannah does and ya she has one speed "all out". The only thing I can say is Frank get ready for one heck of a ride! But don’t you worry her liter maid isn’t too far behind.

Next time I get in the Baldwinsville area I will give you a shout.

Birds Under Siege

Post by Birds Under Siege » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:16 am

'Morning Joe. Frank as far as I know has not seen her yet but he is pretty excited and I think he knows what he has. He is a pretty knowledgeable guy. On occasion I get to L.I. on business as I have a client in Uniondale. On one of these trips down I may have to put a suit on Siege, maybe a tie, and after the formalities we can get out and run some dogs. I have been out of field trialing since about 1974, maybe '75. In the interim I have had Ryman setters which I love but this is my first gsp since those days and he seems to have some steam. I did not run him in puppy or derby at Dan B's advice since he was steady to point and flush right out of the box and Dan said no use picking up a couple points and having him figure out there is no penalty for chasing birds once you've locked in on 'em. I did toss him in a NAVHDA NA stake at 4.5 months where he ran big, pointed 4 of five chuckars, tracked, pointed and retrieved a cock pheasant, and made a nice double water retrieve in pretty cold water earning a Prize I perfect 112. He has me pretty excited. I had him steady to wing, shot, fall and a decent retrieve before last hunting season. My surgery in October took me out and basically never gave him an opportunity to undo what we developed over the summer so Dan will need to muscle him up a bit and he should have a good base. Maybe some Gun Dog stakes in the spring. I am looking forward to getting back into it. We will see you around.
Dk

Joe Amatulli

Post by Joe Amatulli » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:01 pm

DK good to hear you’re getting back into the game and absolutely next time you are in the area give me a call and we’ll get together. I PMed my cell phone.