Chukar and Hippies - A newbie's account

SD Pheasant Slayer

Chukar and Hippies - A newbie's account

Post by SD Pheasant Slayer » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:17 pm

Fall of 2008:
Justin: “Dude, Chukar hunting is a man’s sport. The habitat is brutal and the shooting worse. Even if you do get in range, when the birds get up you’ll be out of breath, standing on uneven ground and trying to hit a missile covered in feathers.”

Adam: “C’mon man – how bad could it possibly be? I shoot like 95% on pheasants and there’s all kind of posts on Upland Journal from guys way older than me that go chukar hunting. I’m 23 and, while not in good shape, I gotta be in better shape than some of those guys. Besides… I’m a firm believer that I can gut-check my way though just about anything.”

Justin: “You just wait. Some day you’ll have to come out and give it a shot. My buddies have some pretty good spots.”

Adam: “If that’s an invite, it’s game on Woman. I’m gonna show you west-coast hippies how us Midwesterners roll.”

Justin: “Dude – stop calling me a hippie. I’m from EASTERN Oregon. I’m more Hillbilly than most of you flatlanders could ever dream of being.”

Adam: “Whatever, Hippy. You’re in Law School – that’s all I need to say.”

Fast-forward to Christmas break 2009. A full year after the previous conversation it was finally time for my maiden Chukar voyage. Justin drove home to Hermiston, Oregon at the end of the semester and got in touch with a bunch of his tree-hugging hippy friends to line up a few hunts. The plan was for me to rent a car out of Rapid City and meet up with him in Boise late that night. Unfortunately, the week trip didn’t get off to the start I had hoped for.
My wife and I rolled in to her parents’ place in Spearfish, SD on the Sunday before Christmas. A day later we were cooped up in a Spearfish hotel room after a house fire left us temporarily homeless. If a hotel room wasn’t bad enough for the holidays, a Christmas blizzard blew in and quickly eliminated any options for outside entertainment. For 5 days we kept a close eye on the weather details, hoping like heck that it wouldn’t delay my departure for the trip I’d been eagerly anticipating for over a year. When the interstates closed and remained closed through the 26th, I found myself slipping into the world’s darkest depression. I did my best to pass the time between 511 calls by taking the dogs out for the occasional run through the snow. Turns out, locking a shorthair and Westie in a hotel room for close to a week results in a bit of an energy build up:

By the time Sunday morning rolled around, I honestly thought I was going to go insane. By the grace of the hunting god’s, the DOT managed to finally clear enough snow to open the intestate and I WAS OFF!!! I’ve never been so happy to drive 15 straight hours in my life:

It took about two hours before my joy of being on the road transformed to the realization that I was still 900 miles away. And for the record… Wyoming is a big #$%^ing state.

Alas, I finally made it into the Boise Airport at around 3 a.m. and was cuddling into the couch by 4:30 a.m. 7:30 came WAY too early, but I wasn’t about to let a little sleep deprivation keep me from showing those west coast sallies how it was done. Especially after Justin showed me the work they’d done on the previous day’s hunt (a hunt I was supposed to be there for – D&** you old man winter!)

Justin was already getting stuff ready to go in the truck when I rolled out of bed:

After a short stop at Wal-Mart for a license and some shells (apparently Justin and his buddy Chad shot all their shells up on the way to killing a 3 man limit of chukar the day before) we were on our way to my first chukar hunt. Driving into the canyon, I got my first taste of what was ahead of me:

A short bit later we were finally at our destination and ready to go:

“You head up that slope there” Justin said. “Stay up near the top and push along the slope.” How hard could it be, right?

And so began the longest, most grueling walk of my life. I admit it – Chukar hunting is hands-down, bar-none the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life. Don’t get me wrong, I had a blast, but I tip my cap to the guys man enough to do this on a regular basis. The combination of melting snow/mud and rocky slopes had me calculating the odds of someone finding Cash should I just lay down and die. A taste of the scenery:

We worked hard for our birds and were rewarded. Cash pointed his first chukar in the very bottom of the canyon. Walking down I remember thinking to myself that if I go all the way down there for a false point, I’ll kill him. When I got close enough, I snapped a pic of his first point on Chukar – then promptly fell flat on my back and whiffed twice from the seat of my pants while the bird flew away laughing at me:

When we reached the top of the canyon, we paused for a quick picture together:
Shortly thereafter, Cash and I put our first chukar in the bag. Here’s Cash on the retrieve:

After the first bird, the remainder of the hunting spread out over the next couple days was a blur of aching legs, burning lungs and freezing toes. We got into the birds right from the get-go and never had problems finding them. The problems came in getting close and then hitting them, but all in all, we had a fair bit of success and a lot of fun:

This elk calf was all alone and I fear an orphan of the ongoing elk season:

Justin and I with our limit on day 2:

We even managed a mixed bag on day 1 that included Cash’s and my first valley quail:

If they weren’t the Devil’s spawn – I might consider the chukar the best looking and funnest game bird I’ve ever chased:

All told – our three day hunted netted 78 chukar spread out across a group of four hunters (8 bird limits are a blessing and a curse). Looking back on the pictures, I realize I did a poor job of capturing some of the best parts of the hunt and the majority of the birds, but to be honest, I spent more time doubled over than I did trying to take pictures.

We took a well-deserved break (our legs did anyway, I wish I could say the same for our livers) for the Humanatarian Bowl. If you saw the highlites – you know how good the game was. Justin was good enough to spot me some Vandals gear and I’m a proud new fan after storming the field:

We closed out our trip and 2009 with a quick quail hunt:

I failed to adjust the settings on the camera for this picture and curse myself every time I see it. Cash nailed a covey and gave a perfect picture opportunity that I fumbled:

After a productive quail hunt we returned home to Hermiston to unwind before driving 24 hours straight to get back in time for Justin to start classes. Lilly took some time to relax on the couch before we left:

While we didn’t mess around on the drive home, we did break for a 3 a.m. visit to the site of Custer’s last stand. A little eerie in the moonlight:

Looking back on the trip – I learned several things:
1.) NEVER EVER EVER hunt Chukar with someone in better shape than you.
2.) Chukar are fast – and have forcefields
3.) Eastern Oregon is actually relatively devoid of “hippies”
4.) 3500 miles in a Silverado is a lot of gas money
5.) I CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK!!!!
Almost Heaven's Daddy's Paycheck - "Cash"

"In the end, our society will be defined not by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy."
- John Sawhill

vzkennels

Re: Chukar and Hippies - A newbie's account

Post by vzkennels » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:36 pm

Very nice post & Cash is looking GOOD!! Bruce will be proud! :D

Middlecreek

Post by Middlecreek » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:40 pm

Pure jealousy!!
FC/RU CH SM Queen High Flush (Abby) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3815
2xCH/2xruCH FC BDK's Sin City Wildcard (Deuce) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=2269

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:16 pm

I have to say this is one of the most enjoyable posts I have ever read. NIce pics nice story. I cant wait to make to chukar country one day.

tn red

Post by tn red » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:20 pm

looks like a great time i really liked the pics

Doodle

Post by Doodle » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:45 pm

Good pictures. Great story.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:56 pm

Awsome recollection of your hunt, beautiful pictures! Walnut Hill is proud too :)
brenda

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:20 pm

Glad to see Holthus is not letting those Medley Britts go to waste. He won't tell you but he knows of some flatter spots, guarantee it. Just not going to show them to you:) Looked like a fine hunt, with fine dogs. Remember it's like a crack addict, the first hit is free. I'm afraid you may be set your a long life of chukar addiction.

jholthus

Post by jholthus » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:42 pm

Fine account of chukkar hunt. You have to want it to drive out from SD and then hike the breaks!! See you next year.

Peak

Post by Peak » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:43 pm

that cash is a fine lookin dude. i love the photo of him with the bird in his mouth and the chukar tracks next to him in the snow.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:02 pm

Awesome man, totally awesome!! You shoulda practiced walkin' on the steep, snow covered, icy side of your roof in your house slippers before you came out to get prepared!! That actually looks like pretty gentle country for chuks but pics often don't do chukar terrain justice. You gotta want to be there. :wink: :mrgreen:

cody

Post by cody » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:16 pm

Very nice PE

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:40 pm

Yes Brenda you have every right to be proud. Sorry I left you out. :oops:

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:09 am

That was a great story, great photos, Great dogs work great friends and a good foot ball game. Thanks for sharing.

Rick
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:26 am

Another great story! You ought to think about submitting some of them to PDJ or some other magazine. You seem to have the gift of being able to put your experiences to paper!

Doug

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:03 am

As usual another great post. Nice looking dog too. :!:
Ricky Ticky Shorthairs wrote:Another great story! You ought to think about submitting some of them to PDJ or some other magazine. You seem to have the gift of being able to put your experiences to paper!

Doug
X2

Herry

Post by Herry » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:11 am

Great post and pretty funny. I hunt the same chukar hills it looks like you were hunting and I was at the Humanitarian Bowl, too. Lots of Vandals and chukars around here.

texscala

Post by texscala » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:39 pm

DGFavor wrote:That actually looks like pretty gentle country for chuks but pics often don't do chukar terrain justice. You gotta want to be there. :wink: :mrgreen:
I was thinking the same thing. On most of my hunts I fear for mine and my dogs life. We regularly have to work around huge cliffs and stuff too steep to get up.

It does look like a great time. Congrats on getting a few.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:01 pm

very nice, i enjoyed the pics and the read.

jt807

Post by jt807 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:56 pm

Great post. Very enjoyable reading.

gotblika

Post by gotblika » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:23 pm

Had to laugh at this picture. Looks like he didn't want to put his sack on the snow and I don't blame him.

JasonW77

Post by JasonW77 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:35 am

That was a great read and pics. Thanks for sharing that

SierraMtnBrits

Post by SierraMtnBrits » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:52 pm

As usual, another wonderful and well written post with some great pics! As someone who frequently hunts chukar from October to late January in Nevada, I completely understand!
~ Yvonne

Happiness is a house full of Brittanys!
www.sierramtnbrittanys.weebly.com
Home to Bang, Trip and Sheldon
Rancho Haven, Nevada

NNV Rebel's Blazn Lil' MissFire JH (Bang)

NNV Bang's Triple Threat Tri (Trip)
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:23 pm

Just seeing this, haven't been on for awhile.

That's AWESOME Adam! That Black dog looks good against that white background! :P I gotta agree w/ gotblika though; Every pic I've ever seen of Cash sitting in the snow like that looks about the same in his demeanor and he never appears to be enjoying the frosty ****! :lol: So when are you going to come hunt the wily and scarce Appalachian Grouse :twisted:

You're right on Ted, I'm very proud and couldn't be more pleased to not only see another one of my pups doing so well, but to see him doing what he was bred to do and being given that opportunity so often and on so many types of birds by Adam! Brenda and Rick are rightfully proud as well and I can't say enough for them putting the faith and trust into me to allow the Breeding that produced Cash and his siblings, which so far, would seem to have been wildly successful. Lots of Trial placements, some wins, some Test Titles in AKC and NAVHDA and most importantly, GSP's that can and have flat out gotten it done on ALL WILD Grouse, Doodles, Sharptails, Chickens, Phez, Quail and now Chukar and they're still not even 2 years old! Doesn't get any cooler than that man 8)
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

jt807

Post by jt807 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:56 pm

That was a great story. I lived in the Pacific NW for a few years, so I know what you mean by hippies. Pretty funny.

gozz21

Post by gozz21 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:16 pm

great story and great pictures. thanks

hazdj

Post by hazdj » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:47 pm

Enjoyed reading your post,nice pictures,nice looking dog.

Razor

Post by Razor » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:28 pm

Great post. Looks like a very good trip.